Dove Hunting 2016

• 404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Being the Dove season opened in MN last week, some IDOers have to have gotten out in the fields. Let’s hear about your opening weekend and how you did. I went out Saturday and Monday and did decent on Saturday and cleaned house Monday. Believe it or not, a limit of Dove can provide a meal for two easily. I’ve been Dove hunting for years to clean off the ‘rust’ on my shooting and prepping for the waterfowl season.

Who else goes Dove hunting to shake the dust on your hunting gear? It’s also great to get the dog working and revved up for Pheasants!

haasjj
    Participant
    Cordova, IL

Took a limit opening day on Thursday here in IL. Zesty Italian/creamy Italian mix marinade for 24 hrs and then a wrap of bacon…..equals yum yum for labor day lunch. It covered half the grill so it’ll feed up the whole family.

The only issue later was goose hunting Monday morning made me lead the first couple just a bit too far. Or at least that is my excuse. Love IL’s early goose season cause they haven’t heard any calls for a year and work beautifully. Makes me feel like I know what I’m doing once in a while.

gonefishinagain
    Participant
    George, IA

5 of us from work go every year. First pic is Sept 2 on a pasture that has held doves for the past few years. 51 doves. Second pic is Sept 1 on a field that was recently chopped for silage. 54 doves. Also got a few Eurasians this year which was pretty sweet! Always do a wild game feed at work after pheasant opener so should have plenty of bacon wrapped dove jalapeño poppers for appetizers!

Attachments:
    1. 20160902_105256.jpg

2. 20160901_121029.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

That looks like a lot of fun. I’d like to give it a go one of these years.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

First time dove hunting down in the south this past weekend. It’s crazy how people get fired up for the opener. It’s a weekend pretty rich in tradition. I tagged a long with a group of people who hunted in the Mississippi Delta. We didn’t wear them out by any means but I went through a ton of shells. I wasn’t even shooting that much either, mostly concentrating on working with Annie. Needless to say she loved it. Getting better at steadiness after the shot.

Attachments:
    1. Annie-Feathers.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I absolutely love that picture, Ben!!!

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I absolutely love that picture, Ben!!!

Thanks! She was a trip on her first retrieve! Had never grabbed a dove before, she wanted it bad, but couldn’t quite figure out all the feathers in her mouth!

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

That is one of the best pup pictures I’ve seen, Ben. My GSP on his first dove retrieve looked like he had peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth. He couldn’t for the life of him get the feathers out!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.