Don’t be like me – Please

• Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I am 55 and I started getting tested when I was 38, as every male in my family has gotten prostate cancer. Just a matter of time for me, so trying to watch for it the best I can.

Used to get the blood test and exam every year, but now with a new doctor as my old doctor retired and the new guy says the exam is not a good indicator. Well if the blood test is not a great indicator and neither is the exam, what are we left with is my question ….

Paulski

Houdini

I am 55 and I started getting tested when I was 38, as every male in my family has gotten prostate cancer. Just a matter of time for me, so trying to watch for it the best I can.

Used to get the blood test and exam every year, but now with a new doctor as my old doctor retired and the new guy says the exam is not a good indicator. Well if the blood test is not a great indicator and neither is the exam, what are we left with is my question ….

Paulski

My suggestion is find a different doctor. My old doctor wasn’t running PSA and didn’t perform the DRE exam every year. Got a new doctor in 2021 and he noticed abnormality right away during exam. He ordered a PSA test and mine was high. Biopsy confirmed cancer. The exam isn’t really comfortable for the patient and some doctors would probably rather skip it as my old doctor did. My cancer could have been caught earlier with regular screening.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dying of bone cancer from prostate cancer isn’t very comfortable either, or so I’ve been told.

As I said earlier, many many people die of old age with prostate cancer and didn’t know it. Each case is different and it’s up to you and your doctor to decide what’s best for you.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Dying of bone cancer from prostate cancer isn’t very comfortable either, or so I’ve been told.

My Grandfather died of that in 2012. They didn’t notice that his prostate cancer had already spread to his bones years before. He did live longer than anyone thought he would after he developed it too.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Thanks John, I get the blood test every year ( still normal), and on my Dr’s suggestion skipped the exam the last year. That is back on the menu for this year though.

Paulski

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My uncle in law first told me about the PSA test about 15 years ago. At that time, he said it wasn’t a normal test they ran when doing blood work. He suggested asking for it which I did.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Must not be that big of a deal. I left 2 messages for the Doc and he ain’t got back to me yet.
    I did polish off a handful of Corana’s, a few Margarita’s and a bottle of bubbles last night. At least that’s what I can remember. doah

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Well this is a subject I am familiar with as I am recovering from a Robotic Radical Prostatectomy I type this. I was about 56 when I had an annual physical and they discovered an elevated PSA. After some tests and scans it was determined that I had prostate cancer. We decided to monitor it as it could be 5-10 years before we would have to do something about it. Well I am 60 now and we had to do something as the cancer was between the bladder and prostate. I am recovering well and should be back to work Monday.
    If a doctor tells you that a PSA test is bunk, GET ANOTHER OPINION!!!

CaptainMusky

Well this is a subject I am familiar with as I am recovering from a Robotic Radical Prostatectomy I type this. I was about 56 when I had an annual physical and they discovered an elevated PSA. After some tests and scans it was determined that I had prostate cancer. We decided to monitor it as it could be 5-10 years before we would have to do something about it. Well I am 60 now and we had to do something as the cancer was between the bladder and prostate. I am recovering well and should be back to work Monday.
    If a doctor tells you that a PSA test is bunk, GET ANOTHER OPINION!!!

Good luck on your recovery and glad to hear you seem to be doing well.

Sodie
    Alma , Wisconsin

Do get tested. I got tested during a routine physical. Numbers came back at 4.8. Went to urologist a month later and the numbers had went up in that time. Did biopsy 2 weeks later and they found cancer. My Gleason score was on the high end. I went to Mayo in Rochester and had robotic prostatectomy. The cancer had not left the prostate. Urologist said I was very lucky to catch it soon. I had no symptoms. So get tested it can save a lot of extra doctoring. I was 52 then. That was 3 years ago and still clean. I get tested every 3 months because of the high Gleason score and the type of cancer I had in the prostate.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.