Don’t be like me – Please

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Man – I’m a dumb a$$!
    I was sweating it out a bit.
    2 years ago I went in to have my PSA checked it was 4.5. Doc says come back in a couple weeks, well 2 years later we punched it up to 6.4.
    The look on Doc’s face when he told me scared the HE!! out of me. I through some of my best one liners at him and he didn’t even crack a smile then he said you need an MRI.

I truly feel I dodged a bullet.

Guys, go get checked. For you and your loved ones.

IMPRESSION:
    1. Based on the most suspicious abnormality, this exam is
    characterized as PIRADS 2 – Clinically significant cancer is unlikely
    to be present.?Wedged shaped enhancement in the anterior right
    peripheral may represent focal prostatitis given minimal associated
    signal abnormality on other sequences.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

my dad had prostate cancer…early detection and they took care of it.

after some of his issues i started going for yearly physicals, they did that test. lately i noticed i didnt see it on my test results, so i asked the doc about it, and i dont recall what he said but he didnt seem to concerned about it. he did say he could order the test…..so next time i think ill have him order it!!!! i had an appt one day in the afternoon, generally speaking you have to fast for thay bloodwork, he and the lab tach kinda had a discussion, labtech said he didnt fast and my doc said now we,ve been through this, studies show fasting has no real bearing on results.

now since i’m concidered a type 2 diabetic, they upped my visits to every 6 months for blood work…….when i asked why he said studies show waiting a whole year things can get out of hand to fast……my numbers are good though!!!!

guess every doc is a bit differnet.

glad it turned out good for ya EPG!!!!!!we would miss those infinate words of wisdom!!!!! waytogo

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My Dr. will not even put down for a PSA test on Blood work. he says if I want a PSA test to go get a different Dr. It seems like Dr’s thoughts on PSA scores is really divided these days. I asked him why he was against them. His answer is that there was so many small things that can cause a spike in your PSA #’s and often slight increases in #’s leads many Dr’s . to then move forward with some often unnecessary and invasive procedures ( some of which have their own risk ) He said research shows that 3/4 people with a elevated PSA don’t have cancer at all. and 1/7 that do have cancer will not even show up with a elevated PSA score. He also said many people who have cancer that is detected by a elevated PSA score would never have any additional problems from the cancer, and likely die of something else before the cancer. I have a family member who recently went through the whole high PSA score situation. I told him what my Dr said and he went back and forth with what to do. He decided to go ahead with a Biopsy, which lead to other problems in itself. They determined that he did have prostate cancer. The amount was borderline on rather prostate removal was necessary or not. He decided to go ahead with the removal surgery. He said now that he knew about the cancer if he did nothing he’s probably die from all the stress of thinking about it. Needless to say he had some additional issues as a result of the surgery and is second guessing if he made the right decision. I know he said if he could go back he would probably do things different.

This being said I know others who truly believe their life was saved by the results of a PSA score.

Each person needs to make their own decision. I would just make sure you do all the research on both sides. These day some Dr’s are really quick to want to use medicine and surgeries to try and fix everything.

The other thing I will say is if you end up needing surgery to do a fair amount of research on various Dr’s. There are some that have been specializing in these surgeries for many years, and other who do them as well as lots of other surgeries.

I hope I’m never in a position to have to make a decision like this.

I wish you all the best with your situation and a positive outcome.

Paul D
    Roseville

Three years ago yesterday, Dr. called me with results from scan. Scan ordered due to higher than normal PSA count. He said “You have cancer”, thought my life ended right then and there, and I could tell by the sound/tone of his voice something was wrong. Scheduled me for the oh so pleasant prostate biopsy, yep, that confirmed it.

My father did not make it due to the same affliction, which is sad, could have been easily detected had he had regular checkups.

Yeah, it changes quite a bit of your life, but at least I am above ground.

Like EPG says, get it checked, and if you don’t like what the doc is telling you? Go find another one that will listen to your concerns. It’s your life.

Brad Dimond

PSA is part of my annual blood work. I also told the doctor to add a Lymes test to the blood work. When she asked why, I told her I hunt and the little buggers are everywhere in the woods these days. I have yet to test positive for Lymes but my son got it after shore lunch on a trip to Rainy Lake.

MX1825

My BIL has PSA counts that are all over the board. Has had this problem for many years. 3 times when his PSA is elevated his Dr. has ordered a biopsy. Always negative for cancer but always causes UTI. He now gets a urinary infection every year since getting the biopsy’s. Once it almost killed him as the infection moved and settled in his heart.
    I’m meeting a new primary Dr. in March. I guess I’ll see what his position is on the subject.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

He said research shows that 3/4 people with a elevated PSA don’t have cancer at all.

By these numbers that means out of 100 people with elevated PSA, 1/4 or 25% will have cancer. Wouldn’t you like to know?

1/7 that do have cancer will not even show up with a elevated PSA score

That means 6/7 or 85.7% that do have cancer will have an elevated PSA.

He also said many people who have cancer that is detected by a elevated PSA score would never have any additional problems from the cancer, and likely die of something else before the cancer.

Most of these men are diagnosed at age 70+, not 40-60, like many on this site.

In 2007, astronaut Scott Kelly was successfully treated for prostate cancer. After Kelly received his diagnosis, his brother Mark was also diagnosed and successfully treated. At least one of them had the aggressive kind of prostate cancer that if wasn’t detected when it was could have gotten ugly fast.

One of my best friend’s PSA had been going up slowly over the past few years. Had a biopsy a few months ago and it was cancer. Had surgery a week ago Monday and is on the mend both physically and psychologically.

My younger brother has a biopsy scheduled in February.

If you have been having regular PSA tests and you switch doctors/clinics and the PSA value changes significantly it may be due to it being run on a different manufacturer’s test. Also if the PSA had been going up and now it drops to the normal range it may be a false negative result due to something that has changed in your body that interferes with the test. You would want to be tested on another manufacturer’s test to verify the result.

I worked with medical diagnostic tests my whole career and supported the PSA tests where I worked so I have a lot of experience with them.

Sorry for the long response but it’s an important topic. I’ll leave you with this tidbit:

Before having a PSA test, men should not have ejaculated during the previous 48 hours. Semen released during sexual activity can cause PSA levels to rise temporarily, which may affect the test results.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have got to get better at going to the doctor. Between reading this topic and the skin cancer posts I’m definitely scheduling a physical. It’s been 4 years and my last visit before that was 12 or 13 years.

For those who are comfortable (not trying to pry), do you mind sharing your age or the age that you started with PSA tests or any regular testing of blood sugar, cholesterol, monitoring BP, etc?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Bucky,
    I just turned 60.
    Today I also scheduled a colonoscopy.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have got to get better at going to the doctor. Between reading this topic and the skin cancer posts I’m definitely scheduling a physical. It’s been 4 years and my last visit before that was 12 or 13 years.

For those who are comfortable (not trying to pry), do you mind sharing your age or the age that you started with PSA tests or any regular testing of blood sugar, cholesterol, monitoring BP, etc?

I feel the same way. I haven’t been to a doc in 12 years. Besides to get stitches when I cut my eyebrow and eye lid almost off.

Jensen

I started at 40 yrs old due to history of prostate and colon cancer in family. I was in same boat as EPG. Stopped going for a few years as I never did like the procedure test not blood work. Well finally had another check up with urologist after kidney stones and found my PSA up as well. No cancer yet but I now get it checked yearly.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My Dr. will not even put down for a PSA test on Blood work

As a friend, I’m going to tell you to get a new doctor.

I think NetGuy explained it very well.

I spoke with a number of doctors at Mayo, Hudson and at a specialty clinic in Woodbury. They all said the same thing. Many people die of old age never knowing they had prostrate cancer. For me however, they all told me I have a 50% chance of having bone cancer within 10 years. I don’t know of anyone that wants to go that way.

The PSA does not mean anything by its self but it’s a heads up to have it checked out.

Always ask for a PSA when having blood work done…at least once per year after 50.

Getter Done!

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I just turned 65, but I’ll sell you guys a blood sample for $50,,,

HRG

Attachments:
    1. PSA-since-2014.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    My Dr. will not even put down for a PSA test on Blood work

As a friend, I’m going to tell you to get a new doctor.

I think NetGuy explained it very well.

I spoke with a number of doctors at Mayo, Hudson and at a specialty clinic in Woodbury. They all said the same thing. Many people die of old age never knowing they had prostrate cancer. For me however, they all told me I have a 50% chance of having bone cancer within 10 years. I don’t know of anyone that wants to go that way.

The PSA does not mean anything by its self but it’s a heads up to have it checked out.

Always ask for a PSA when having blood work done…at least once per year after 50.

Getter Done!

Not saying you are wrong. Just saying there is different opinions even among Dr’s. Do some research and decide what’s best for you. The other thing that he says also comes into play is the possible complications from the Anesthesia and post Op infections. He said both of these are way higher than most people want to know.
    Side note. My family member who recently had his prostate removed did research on various Dr’s who preform prostate surgeries and the leading one was a Dr. at the Mayo clinic. The sad thing was it turns out he now works someplace in the Middle East. The rumor was that they handled him a blank check and told him to fill in the amount.
    Glad your situation turned out well for you !!! Hamms Beer and Span need your business jester

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I am 62 and started having annual physicals around 43. Pick a doctor and go. If you don’t like that doc, try another the next time. It’s better to catch “stuff” early and also have a doc to go to if you think “somethings up”. Don’t be shy about asking questions or expressing your concerns.

When young you kind of take you health for granted. As you age or have had a few issues knowing your healthy gives you tremendous piece of mind.

Glad everything turned out OK Eelpoutguy!!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Just had the follow with the Doc. He said “you just naturally have a large prostate and people with large prostates have high(r) PSA’s. I’m learning quite bit about what affects PSA. However out of all the stuff I searched up on nothing referenced large prostates.

So, I’m going out drinkin and pull tabbin tonight to celebrate.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Not sure if having a large prostate is a good pickup line with the ladies, but can’t hurt to try! whistling

Great post Netguy! My Dad had prostate cancer and thanks to an early diagnosis it was a pretty simple procedure and treatment. That was 20+ years ago now and he’s still talking smart and living the good life at the lake!

Gitchi Gummi

I feel the same way. I haven’t been to a doc in 12 years. Besides to get stitches when I cut my eyebrow and eye lid almost off.

There’s nothing cool about bragging how long its been since you’ve been to the doctor. That’s exactly how things like this sneak up on you man. Better go get yourself checked out

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Uncle had a high psa and the doctor basically ignored it. One year later he is diagnosed and given a very poor prognosis (I dont know if they say terminal anymore).

His older brother got checked after learning this and had high psa. He had to really push and explain the family history to get timely followup and find his mass. He is dealing with that now.

Advocate for yourselves.

And just an fyi, the guidelines for first colonoscopy are now lowered to age 45, and hypertension cutoff is now 130/80 (not 140/90).

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

There’s nothing cool about bragging how long its been since you’ve been to the doctor. That’s exactly how things like this sneak up on you man. Better go get yourself checked out

I didn’t realize I was bragging.nor was I trying to in any ways. I feel everything I say you point me out for something. Just stating I haven’t been in a long time. My apologies to you kind sir.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

EPG, did your doc talk about BPH. Non-cancerous, enlarged prostate.

Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) — also called prostate gland enlargement — is a common condition as men get older. An enlarged prostate gland can cause uncomfortable urinary symptoms, such as blocking the flow of urine out of the bladder. It can also cause bladder, urinary tract or kidney problems.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m going to be drinking tonight.

Attachments:
    1. A8CF40B5-2A6E-4ED7-823F-5812041E2772.png

AK Guy

Don’t forget the morning. You can’t say you drank all day if you don’t start in the morning.

Congrats. A burden has been lifted.

Deuces

I’ll have one for ya too, get thru it!
    toast

Umy
    South Metro

I am 60 – had one at 58.
    Wife and I had colonoscopies on the same day at the same time – she was literally 25 feet across the hall. Talked to her most of the time as I was still pretty Lucid. Pretty cool to watch on the screen.
    Check ups are easy to do and are covered for the most part. You already pay for it, so why not?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I had a problem with my shoulder. After an MRI they told me it was a tumor. Some blood work, CT scans, and biopsies later I found I had stage 4 prostate cancer. My PSA was 94. Yea, I thought I was done.

They started me on a relatively new course of treatment. My PSA fell to 3 after a month and has been zero for the last year and a half. The tumors are shrinking. I’m thankful for every sunrise, every hug from my wife, every fish I catch, all the great people in my life.

SR

DTW

Your PSA can go up before your blood work if you rode your bike, Had sex, took a big dump. PSA is not a very good indicator of cancer. Cancer CANNOT be diagnosed by blood work.

Let me correct that. Solid Tumors cannot be diagnosed by blood work. only a biopsy can diagnose a solid tumor. Liquid tumors such as any B cell malignancy, will be diagnosed by blood work.

If you have a doctor telling you that you have a solid tumor cancer like Breast, Lung, Colon, Ovary, Pancreatic from a blood test. RUN and find a new doctor.

DTW

Houdini

EPG, hope you get it under control.

I’m 67 and was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in January of 2021. My first PSA test was 35.8. A biopsy revealed stage 4 prostate cancer which had already escaped the prostate and was in surrounding tissues. I had the robotic prostatectomy in April of 21. PSA test after surgery still showed cancer was present. After 36 radiation treatments my PSA was dropping close to 0. Now 6 months later it’s on the rise again. Going back in for another scan and likely more treatments. It’s not always a death sentence as there are many treatment options available. I too appreciate each day more than ever. I encourage any man over 50 to get a PSA test yearly.

John

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

Don’t forget the morning. You can’t say you drank all day if you don’t start in the morning.

Congrats. A burden has been lifted.

I’m in my 30s and never looked in to the numbers. But isn’t 27 high? When it says 0 to 4 is normal.

Either way epg, good luck with the journey. I know it can be very stressful stuff. I watched my dad battle cancer multiple times. He is still kicking, I get more worried he is going to have a heart attack from stressing him self out.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.