Done with spoons and jigging style hard baits

• mrpike1973

Well I said it. I have asked and got very good advice on here on how to use spoons and jigging style baits jigging raps, Rippin raps etc. To be fair I mostly fish sunfish and crappie. Tried the walleye thing not for me. The only spoon had luck with is the smallest Northland jigging spoon sometimes works for sunfish. I do fish for trout once a year Swedish pimple smallest glow one works well. other than that selling all of them for what works 3MM tungsten jig with a tiny plastic. In fishing you should always experiment but finding spending to much time using tactics that don’t work. This year all the fish for me have been in a negative state. Now using Live Scope it’s almost depressing to see how many fish are really there and don’t care lesson learned. Spoons seem to bring them in for a minute and then there gone. Anyway had to vent I’m just one of those that cant catch them on spoons or jigging rap style baits anyone else have the curse smirk I asked a pro fisherman who is well known this person said it’s all about the sales not what works and said for sunnies use small jigs.

FinnyDinDin

Time, place and mood of fish is everything. I fish tungstens and plastics for panfish most of the time but there are times when a jigging spoon or raps are the ticket on larger and/or aggressive fish. Depends on their mood and the forage they are eating. Don’t go sell all your baits just yet.

As for other larger species, spoons are king through the ice. Again I use a bit of everything depending on time, place and mood of fish. A lot of fishing is reading the fish and making changes. Your livescope will help with that once you figure out how to read the fish.

And don’t forget IDO gets paid on sponsorship. If they can convince you that rippin raps are the bait choice for crappies their sponsors are happy.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Most people overwork their baits….especially the jigging raps and ripping raps. You might be doing that. I don’t have a ton of luck with these baits but they sometimes work.

For panfish, almost always a small tungsten jig with a waxie. Especially when they are negative. Sometimes just hold it still. I’ll sometimes start with a small plastic but if they just stare at the bait I switch to waxies. Color seems to matter more in the winter. I almost always start with white and go darker.

Small spoons work well for agresssive crappies. I almost always tip them with a minnow head. If I have a few pass the spoon by I downsize to tungsten jig. If I’m exclusively crappie fishing I always have a deadstick with a minnow down, too.

I run the livescope, too. It can be depressing how many fish are down there not eating sometimes…sometimes it’s not the presentation and you just gotta move to find active fish.

mrpike1973

Matt your last paragraph so true!

Ripjiggen

Not sure many would suggest jigging raps or rippin raps for sunfish.
    I use them often for crappies and walleyes. In fact used them Sunday when I had an aggressive crappie bite going because I need to get bait down quick and not worry about any spikes waxies or tungsten not sitting horizontal. Caught 25 or so in an hour and a half. Largest crappie of day came on ultra light rippin rap in blue chrome. 14 3/4.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not sure I’d be running spoons or raps for sunfish. But I always have both tied on when crappie fishing. I also hate 3mm tungsten. They attract all the dinky and are hard to tie. Some days 3mm is the only one that works, but I find that rare. I’ll still stick with a demon and split shot for my go to al9ng with a 5mm tungsten for sunnies, or demon, and spoon for crappies

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not sure many would suggest jigging raps or rippin raps for sunfish.
    I use them often for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappies and walleyes. In fact used them Sunday when I had an aggressive <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie bite going because I need to get bait down quick and not worry about any spikes waxies or tungsten not sitting horizontal. Caught 25 or so in an hour and a half. Largest <em class=”ido-tag-em”>crappie of day came on ultra light rippin rap in blue chrome. 14 3/4.

That’s a solid crappie. Been a couple weeks since we found those ones. Even though I haven’t tried.
    But as they say, pic or it didn’t happen

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I always fish spoons first for crappies and sunfish. I have not got on the rippin rap for crappies band wagon on hard water. (fantastic on open water for me) I do way better with spoons. If the spoon is not working I move to find active fish. If I move a couple of times and everything I am finding is negative, than I try small jigs.

Smart man. Selling off all your lead before it is band so you can still get a couple of bucks for it. J/K I hope.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Agree with what was said above. I absolutely love small spoons for crappie. Sunfish I would tend to go with a small jig. I still have yet to catch anything on the ripping style hard baits open or hard water.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Anyway had to vent I’m just one of those that cant catch them on spoons

I’m just the opposite, My go-to is a spoon. #1 choice is a Rembrant. Yes, those are marketed as a jig, but they flutter on the fall and fish like a spoon.
    #2 choice is the smallest size Slender Spoon. Again, a very enticing flutter during the downward fall of the spoon.

Probably 85% of the time, the fish are hitting the spoons on the fall.

Brittman

I have had as many ‘eyes smash a jigging spoon (with a minnow head on) when I took a break and set the rod on a bucket or rod holder vs. when I am actively jigging. Absolutely love it when that 19-inch walleye smashes your active jigging spoon so fast you did not even mark it on your locator.

I have not caught many fish on a vertical jigging lure, but don’t use it often or for very long. Use them to attract attention to our area. I suppose the confidence level is not too high yet for us.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

If I got rid of jigging spoons, I’d have almost nothing in my tackle box. Buckshots are my starting point and I go from there. But then I’m not chasing panfish either.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

And don’t forget IDO gets paid on sponsorship. If they can convince you that rippin raps are the bait choice for crappies their sponsors are happy.

I think this is a bit harsh of a statement. I’m not Jame’s accountant, but I believe other ventures within his media company makes much more than “sponsorship” for the show.

I’ve never filmed a show with James, but we had discussions on a few bites that would have been entertaining. Unfortunately weather didn’t cooperate and we had to pull thge plug and he went with option B. Anyways, the one thing that made me receptive to filming with James Vs any other host is James’ integurity. Yes, he did ask if specific baits were working. However, that bite was reality. Not some fabricated BS like I’ve seen with other shows/hosts. James wanted wanted “the story”. Beginning to end it was all about how to present this as something that many others could go out and duplicate. I appreciated his attitude and honesty in how he approaches a show. It didn’t work out at that time and we haven’t revisited that. But if James’ were to call me and ask for info that would contribute, no doubt he is one of the very few I would fish with and have no reservations in doing so. There is a reason why IDO has grown like it has.

AK Guy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Frederick wrote:</div>

I think this is a bit harsh of a statement. I’m not Jame’s accountant, but I believe other ventures within his media company makes much more than “sponsorship” for the show.

I’ve never filmed a show with James, but we had discussions on a few bites that would have been entertaining. Unfortunately weather didn’t cooperate and we had to pull thge plug and he went with option B. Anyways, the one thing that made me receptive to filming with James Vs any other host is James’ integurity. Yes, he did ask if specific baits were working. However, that bite was reality. Not some fabricated BS like I’ve seen with other shows/hosts. James wanted wanted “the story”. Beginning to end it was all about how to present this as something that many others could go out and duplicate. I appreciated his attitude and honesty in how he approaches a show. It didn’t work out at that time and we haven’t revisited that. But if James’ were to call me and ask for info that would contribute, no doubt he is one of the very few I would fish with and have no reservations in doing so. There is a reason why IDO has grown like it has.

Great post. I watch all shows and the ones that teach you how to catch fish are the best. It started with me and the Lindner’s and the In Fisherman. Most shows were “hey, look at me, I catch big fish.” Absolutely true story but I had friends that use to keep live fish for Babe Winkelman to use while filming.

tim hurley

He had a show where he and Konner switched to a plain hook, really not selling anything there. Spoons are good when you are scouting, looking for those biters.I’ve had success with jigging & ripping raps at prime time, sometimes I get too lazy to switch.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

He had a show where he and Konner switched to a plain hook, really not selling anything there. Spoons are good when you are scouting, looking for those biters.I’ve had success with jigging & ripping raps at prime time, sometimes I get too lazy to switch.

Is that the one you posted on where they said that didn’t happen. Because if it’s the crappie one, Connor said it was not a plain hook and wax worm or spike

Brittman

I prefer 4 & 5mm tungsten. When I resort to 3mm tungsten I question why I don’t just get off the ice and get something else done vs. grinding out a few small sunnies. Or should I move / wait until an hour before dark when the bite just may materialize as anticipated?

Back to spoons and vertical baits … I have had two monster northerns follow my ripping vertical jig almost to the ice hole (like they and muskies follow to the boat), but neither would commit and take a bite. Almost wants me to try spearing. Pretty impressive beasts moving about under the ice.

mrpike1973

Thanks for the replies must say I just don’t have much confidence in them. Come open water I just smash panfish and bass on ultra Rippin raps one of my favorites. I do move a lot looking for active fish but this ice season has just not been my friend. Also I’m not bashing any certain company or lure what works well for me may not work for you. Point is my best walleye and bass lure is a Rapala count down. Most say they never catch anything on them for me it’s the best lure.

tim hurley

To me and others it sounded like he went to a weightless rig. He switched to a hook, bug and split shot.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

To me and others it sounded like he went to a weightless rig. He switched to a hook, bug and split shot.

I was just letting you know, James posted a text between him and Connor and it was Connor saying no, that was not what he was using. I was just letting you know. That was in the crappie section when you asked that last month or whenever it was

tim hurley

OMG-Bear is right, uuuuugh. Not the first time I made the same mistake twice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

OMG-Bear is right, uuuuugh. Not the first time I made the same mistake twice.

Just didn’t want to lead you in the wrong direction bud.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I use a baitcasting reel so spoons and jigging style hard baits are always my first go to. I admit that I will use a spoon or a variation of it like 98% of the time. By variation, it may just be a spinner blade and a hook.

Jimmy Jones

Thanks for the replies must say I just don’t have much confidence in them. Come open water I just smash <em class=”ido-tag-em”>panfish and bass on ultra Rippin raps one of my favorites. I do move a lot looking for active fish but this ice season has just not been my friend. Also I’m not bashing any certain company or lure what works well for me may not work for you. Point is my best <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye and <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass lure is a Rapala count down. Most say they never catch anything on them for me it’s the best lure.

If you are doing well with these baits during the spring or summer or fall, you need to start paying attention to what is happening around you: what’s the weather like on a given day, what’s the barometer doing, where is the wind blowing from/too, where are the fish in the water column, etc. Actively feeding crappies hit much larger baits than what you are giving them credit for.

IF you do well on summer crappies, mirror what you are doing then during the winter and think of crappies having two seasons, not four. Summer/winter and spring/fall can have crappies using almost identical waters and the bites can be near identical. In the wiinter don’t be focuses on all the fish on the bottom. Look for marks on the locator in mid-water column that appear for five seconds or so then go away. Those can likely be feeding crappies. Get the bait up and slightly above of where those marks are showing and work them. Matt’s above post’s first sentence speaks volumes when using larger baits. Don’t get so aggressive with working them, you don’t need to lift them a foot. 3″ is plenty and control the drop so you are in constant touch with the lure. Lift, drop. Rest ten seconds or more, maybe give the rod a tap or two with a finger during this rest. Lift, drop. Just because some of these lures are way larger than that dink jig with a bug on doesn’t mean that they get worked as hard as the dink jig.

Another thing you can do is find a middle-of-the-road lure size. Eurotackle’s Z-Vibers come in 1/16 and the new 1/32 sizes and are superb crappie baits in both under-the-ice and open water venues. I find the 1/16 size the absolute best for crappie fishing in cold water, but I do replace the single hook with the treble. Many places where these can be bought also sell the small replacement #14 treble packages right there in the Z-Viber display. DO NOT let that #14 hook fool you into thinking its too small! The 1/32 size is so small I have trouble getting the damned hooks out of fish without having to have my glasses on so I don’t use them anymore, but they’ll catch a ton of fish too. Joes has always had a super good selection of Z-Vibers if you need direction in finding some.

James was asked once here about why IDO was sponsored by one something one year and another something the next year. His answer was advertising dollars. Can’t knock that as it helps keep this site afloat, but just because something is not shown here or mentioned in the shows does not mean that it is not a fish catching bait.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.