100 Dogs die at SD Opener.

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Story from Startribune.com

Dennis Anderson: Heat kills 100 dogs
    Dennis Anderson, Star Tribune

Published October 24, 2003 ANDY24

Along with limits of pheasants, many hunters departed South Dakota with heartaches last weekend.

Narrowly avoiding tragedy was Dr. Phifer Nicholson of Plymouth, whose yellow Labrador, Jack, was one of perhaps hundreds of dogs felled by heatstroke in the unusually warm first days of the South Dakota pheasant hunting season.

Some South Dakota veterinarians estimate that 100 or more Labrador retrievers, springer spaniels, English setters and other hunting dogs died in temperatures that at times exceeded 80 degrees.

Proving deadly were the animals’ heavy coats and inability to readily dispel body heat, combined with temperatures in grasslands and corn fields that were at times scorching.

Additionally, South Dakota’s abundant pheasants provided incentive enough for some dogs to work until they literally dropped.

Dr. Phifer Nicholson saved his dog.Jeff WheelerStar Tribune”I was afraid we would have a rash of these cases, and I tried to warn hunters to keep their dogs’ time in the field very short,” said Dr. Woody Franklin of Brookings (S.D.) Animal Clinic, where one Labrador retriever from Minnesota died last weekend.

Nicholson’s Labrador avoided a similar fate, perhaps because of his owner’s medical training. The 3-year-old Lab collapsed Sunday near Aberdeen, S.D., after only 30 minutes in the field.

“Suddenly he began panting and staggered and fell,” said Nicholson, a vascular surgeon. “His tongue turned a shade of purple and blue I’ll never forget. My initial reaction was to run him to water, but when I picked him up he was so limp he couldn’t breathe.”

Nicholson’s dog was one of many stricken by heatstroke. The pheasant opener annually draws approximately 145,000 hunters, including as many as 20,000 Minnesotans and their well-trained dogs, whose values can exceed $10,000.

With the season open only 45 minutes, a springer spaniel was carried by its owner into Dr. Eric Heath’s office in Winner, S.D. The dog’s temperature was 110 degrees — about 8.5 degrees above normal.

“Actually, the dog’s temperature might have been higher than 110. But that’s as far as my thermometer goes,” Heath said. The dog was euthanized.

Heath’s clinic treated 12 dogs for heatstroke last weekend. Four died.

“The problem,” said Dr. Sam Lukens, a Sioux Falls, S.D., veterinarian, “is that many of these dogs are overweight and out of shape. And even if they’re not, for every mile a hunter walks, their dog might run three miles. That, combined with the higher temperatures in tall grass and corn, can mean trouble.”

Life-saving actions

To help his young dog breathe, Nicholson elevated its lower jaw. Soon thereafter, ice from his hunting party’s coolers was laid on the dog, and water poured over him — but to no avail.

“Then we drove about seven minutes to a farmhouse, and during that time Jack stopped breathing once,” Nicholson said.

At the farm, Nicholson laid his dog in the shade and cooled him for about 10 minutes with a water hose before the animal’s tongue regained color.

“He recovered enough to stand and drink,” he said. “I put him in our air-conditioned truck, and when we drove home from Aberdeen Sunday night, we stopped twice. Both times he drank and urinated, which were good signs.”

But the danger that heat stroke poses to dogs extends beyond an animal’s initial collapse, veterinarians say.

“The after-care is very critical,” said Dr. Jill Butkovich of Safe Haven Small Animal Hospital in Mitchell, S.D., where eight dogs were treated last weekend for heatstroke, and two died. “Nearly 100 percent of these dogs experience a variety of problems the following day, because nearly every organ of the body is affected.”

Afflictions, she said, include kidney failure, permanent blindness and mental abnormalities.

“The biggest one we see, in almost every case, results from the lining of the intestine getting so hot that cells die and slough off,” Butkovich said. “Then the intestines start leaking fluid and the result is bloody diarrhea.”

That condition is called disseminated intravascular coagulation, Butkovich said.

On Monday, Nicholson’s Labrador wouldn’t eat and was tired, but drank and otherwise appeared healthy, Tuesday morning, however, the dog couldn’t stand and his temperature was 104.1 and rising.

The dog was taken to the University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center, where it was resuscitated with the help of intravenous fluids, including steroids and antibiotics.

Thursday, no worse, apparently, for the ordeal, the dog was back home in Plymouth. This weekend’s hunting trip to South Dakota has been canceled to let him recover fully.

“I learned a lot,” Nicholson said. “The most important thing is that, even after recovering from the initial collapse, and despite drinking and urinating, Jack was still severely dehydrated and nearly died.”

Other dogs weren’t as fortunate.

“The problem out here is that we’re a rural state, and it can take 30 minutes or longer for some of these hunters to get their dogs to a veterinarian,” said Dr. Cati Beaty of Lakeview Veterinary Clinic in Mitchell, S.D.

“By the time they get to us with a dog that has a 108-or 109-degree temperature, there’s not much we can do.”

Dennis Anderson is at

>[email protected].

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

It was upper 80’s on saturday and sunday was low 90’s in the area I was in. It was hot!!! I know our group had lots of water for the dogs. Too bad some of the guys didn’t get to enjoy the trip like they are suppose to.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

It was upper 80’s on saturday and sunday was low 90’s in the area I was in. It was hot!!! I know our group had lots of water for the dogs. Too bad some of the guys didn’t get to enjoy the trip like they are suppose to.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Jon thanks alot for the heads-up to all of us.What a VERY sad thing to read.I can’t stress enough that fact of pre-season conditioning for owners as well as dogs.I’m a avid bird hunter and see the same thing every year.The dogs stay in their kennels for the whole year until opener.Then out they come and the owners expect them to be ready?Please do your dogs(and yourself)a favor by getting ready a few months before season starts.I really feel bad for all the dog owners who lost their ‘best friends”.Again Jon,thanks alot for a eye opening post for all of us!!!
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Jon thanks alot for the heads-up to all of us.What a VERY sad thing to read.I can’t stress enough that fact of pre-season conditioning for owners as well as dogs.I’m a avid bird hunter and see the same thing every year.The dogs stay in their kennels for the whole year until opener.Then out they come and the owners expect them to be ready?Please do your dogs(and yourself)a favor by getting ready a few months before season starts.I really feel bad for all the dog owners who lost their ‘best friends”.Again Jon,thanks alot for a eye opening post for all of us!!!
    Ryan Hale

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Jon,

Thank you for the sad but most important post that I have ever read when it comes to hunting dogs. It just tears my heart out thinking about the fact of losing your best friend like that. Just goes to show everyone how important it is to keep your dogs in shape at all times. Having your dog on the correct diet and excercise program is so vital to their health. I have been excercising my dogs now for the past 2 to 3 months preparing them for Iowa’s opener. For me it is more important to make sure that the dogs are in shape for hunting season. Hopefully more people will read about this and learn something before it happens to their dogs. Thank you again for such a important story.

birdhunter88

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Jon,

Thank you for the sad but most important post that I have ever read when it comes to hunting dogs. It just tears my heart out thinking about the fact of losing your best friend like that. Just goes to show everyone how important it is to keep your dogs in shape at all times. Having your dog on the correct diet and excercise program is so vital to their health. I have been excercising my dogs now for the past 2 to 3 months preparing them for Iowa’s opener. For me it is more important to make sure that the dogs are in shape for hunting season. Hopefully more people will read about this and learn something before it happens to their dogs. Thank you again for such a important story.

birdhunter88

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Hey gang:

Having an dog that is in shape is very important in any weather condition, but DO NOT FORGET THAT THOSE KIND OF TEMPERATURES WILL KILL A DOG THAT IS IN SHAPE!!!! Make sure you have plenty of water, take shorter walks and take frequest rests. I like to hunt my dog next to water, but with the drought conditions over much of the U.S., there is just not much water for the dog to find. Take it easy, and bring those all important buddies back home with you!!!

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Hey gang:

Having an dog that is in shape is very important in any weather condition, but DO NOT FORGET THAT THOSE KIND OF TEMPERATURES WILL KILL A DOG THAT IS IN SHAPE!!!! Make sure you have plenty of water, take shorter walks and take frequest rests. I like to hunt my dog next to water, but with the drought conditions over much of the U.S., there is just not much water for the dog to find. Take it easy, and bring those all important buddies back home with you!!!

Mark

boone
    Woodbury, MN

It’s too bad SD doesn’t have earlier shooting hours. A noon opener for the first week is just goofy. I’m sure a lot fewer dogs would have died if a reasonable starting time, say like 8:00 a.m. or sunrise, would be allowed. A 10:00 a.m. for the rest of the season is goofy too. What purpose does it serve other than limit hunting opportunity? It would have no impact on the bird populations.

Some sunny, windless afternoons it’s just too hot to hunt the dogs.

Boone

boone
    Woodbury, MN

It’s too bad SD doesn’t have earlier shooting hours. A noon opener for the first week is just goofy. I’m sure a lot fewer dogs would have died if a reasonable starting time, say like 8:00 a.m. or sunrise, would be allowed. A 10:00 a.m. for the rest of the season is goofy too. What purpose does it serve other than limit hunting opportunity? It would have no impact on the bird populations.

Some sunny, windless afternoons it’s just too hot to hunt the dogs.

Boone

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.