Electrolyte supplements for dogs?? Maybe not.

• birddog
    Participant
    Mn.

Over the last year I’ve put some thought along with a fair amount of internet research and conversations with my vet in to the “gatorade” for dogs, or simply electrolyte supplements. Being an avid hunter with a couple GSP’s, dehydration has always been a concern. I’ve never had a problem with my dogs getting dehydrated, but one never knows. I’ve always kept them watered, they’ve been good to go.

In my “electrolyte” conversation with my vet he brought some things to light. Dogs don’t sweat besides from the very small glands in the pad of the foot, the sweat lose through these glands is almost nonexistent. Panting is a dogs method of cooling down, there is minimal electrolyte lose through either the pad or panting. Why are so many supplementing their dogs water with electrolytes? My vet spoke of a case where he saw 2 sick dogs in the last year, both hunting breeds, both guide dogs from a game farm, both had elevated electrolyte levels. Came to find out, both dogs got supplements daily and had been getting them for months, as did the rest of the regular hunters. The owner stopped the supplements, the dogs levels were back in order and hunting shape soon after, although he, (vet) did warn of the possibility of premature renal failure due to the elevated levels of different electrolytes.

Humans, athletes especially need to replace electrolytes, we sweat, sometimes profusely. Dogs do not sweat or lose enough electrolytes to warrant supplementing them, unless your dog is noticeably dehydrated, diarrhea, vomiting, etc, then electrolytes can and will help replace what’s lost, but more often than not it’s a underlying problem causing the dehydration. Very rarely are our well cared for hunting buddies in need of supplement, as long as we’re watering as we should and they’re on a good diet.

I’ve done some reading up on sled dogs which are about the hardest working dogs on the planet. To sum it…The mushers of some of the most prestigious races in the world will not use electrolyte supplements… straight, clean water. Of the studies I read up on, some of the dogs that were supplemented had elevated electrolyte counts which are not good, where the dogs running straight water were in the normal range. A similar study was also done on “flyball” dogs, the results were similiar.

Supplements can cause more problems than they’re preventing. In a normal, healthy dog, vigorous exercise and hunting will not reduce the electrolyte level to a point that straight water won’t replenish it. In some cases, supplementing a dogs electrolytes, adding to an already normal level can cause problems. Renal failure is one of the possible outcomes, adding to an already normal level can damage the kidneys.

We as humans must have our electrolytes replenished often, after all, we sweat, it makes perfect sense for us. Our dogs do not. Lots of water and a good diet will keep our companions in good working condition. I personally won’t give a supplement for no reason that can cause problems…with that said, I do carry a box of electrolyte supplement in my dog box for emergencies. If my dogs get to the point of noticeable dehydration, for whatever reason, I’ll use it. Until then, water’s all they need.

I know a lot of guys jumped on this trend, as a pet owner I urge all to research the positive and negative effects of supplementing, there are some very good reads out there by some of the worlds top vets. In my case, I feel the neg’s far outweigh the pos.

Keep the dogs in hunt shape, good diet and water them often and they should be good to go, we may want to leave the supplements for emergencies.

I thought this was a interesting topic that we all should know about if considering supplements, like I was. This is mearly one mans opinion, research it and draw your own conclusions, it turned out to be much more interesting than I thought it would be.

Good luck

BIRDDOG

waterfowler99
    Participant
    Midwest

Great info BIRDDOG. Thanks for sharing

pahaarstad
    Participant
    metro

Thanks for the info.

mkaveney
    Participant

Dog’s don’t need electrolytes like people & horses do. They need water during & after exercise and carbs after exercise to recover. Sodium (like in gatorade) should be avoided. It will dehydrate the dog from the inside and can cause diarrhea and other problems up to and including killing the dog. Horseback field trialers for pointing dogs just give water during and after running/roading/hunting their string and then many will give Karo corn syrup after hard work to replenish carbs & glycogen.

Don Hanson
    Participant

Birddog has some goods points in this post. I am going to cover some pre-season nutrition but this post needed to be brought back up. Thanks for the great post Birddog.
    I do not use any supplements for my dogs. Here is a pre-hunting season tune-up and also things to watch for. I am always training for hunting but as the season gets closer the dogs are doing more physically and with more intensity.
    I will give you a an example of my training from yesterday to today. Yesterday, 10 minutes of airing out. Walk through wooded area, working on come around and recall-15 minutes. trainied retrieve work, single T’s and casting-10 minutes. Walk through grassy area, recalls and command training sprinkled in-15 minutes. walk in public area, training on heel, sit, recall, in the presence of distractions-10 minutes. Swimming break with some fun bumpers tossed 5 minutes. 5 minute air out and then kenneled in truck for a 2 minute ride home. 1hour 10 minute session.
    Today, 5 minute air out. Walk through wooded area with birds released. Drills included steadyness, and deliver to hand. Dog quartering and flushing birds- 15 minutes. Quartering in grass field and blind retrieves- 15 minutes. Cool down in shaded area 10 minutes. Walk back and swim 10 minutes. 5 minute air out and a short ride back home. total time 1 hour.
    although the times in training are similar, you can see the difference in how much energy the dog expends. During the two sessions, I probably walked close to the same distance. The dog however probably covered 4 times the distance today and at a much higher intensity level with birds involved.
    Putting a dog through pre-hunting season training, I start with nutrition. I will increase the dogs rations 25% for 4 weeks. At that time I reduce it back to the normal amount because as the dog gets into hunting shape he becomes more efficent burning calories. Do not feed the dog 1 hour prior to or 1 hour after workout.
    For watering carry a bottle or two with you. Give the dog water breaks every ten minutes. Watch for signs of overheating. The easiest one to detect will be the tail dropping. Also watch for excessive panting. After a hard session I like to cool the dog down. A nice shaded area with a breeze blowing is ideal. Give the dog water but try to avoid letting them gulp it. A bottle works well because you can squirt it in their mouth to help cool the tounge. Other things I do is, cool their ears, paws and genitals. I do this by dripping water out of the bottle or cupping water in my hand and then applying it to the dog. Remember, cool water not cold.
    If your training is getting more intense follow these tips and you will be set when hunting season starts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.