Dog discipline

• cheers

I have a question for the dog owners and trainers . I walk my neighbours dog every day at least one a day . He is usually fairly well behaved but does have his moments when he wont listen . Today was exceptionally bad and he blatantly ignored my command and did his own thing instead of coming with me when we were walking . We were on a trail and he was off the leash . After 15 minutes he reappeared and was put on a short leash and told he was bad . He is very smart and completely knew he was not behaving so it is not an issue of not understanding , he just gets stubborn and independent some days . Any how, he was told he was bad and he understood, I kept him on a short leash and took him to his house . I sent him inside and told him again he was a bad dog then left .He was sad. My question is how long should he be in the proverbial dog house with me . I will be walking him again in the morning, should I pretend nothing happened and go on or keep punishing him? If so for how long. I think it is harder on me than him . I don’t want to ask the owners what to do as I don’t want to jeopardize our arrangement and loose my privileges .
    Thanks

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I don’t want to ask the owners what to do as I don’t want to jeopardize our arrangement and loose my privileges .

Sorry but those are exactly the folks with whom you should be having this discussion.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’d use the leash tomorrow. Just make it routine every time.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

My guess is this will be an ineffective form of discipline/training. To correct the issue at this point, you would need to go through formal obedience, check cord, reinforcement, potentially e-collar, etc.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Dogs don’t have conception of time when it comes to being punished.
    Punishment needs to occur immediately after the incident.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

And, to that point. Unless you have the foundation of training and commands set, you would actually be “punishing” him for finally coming to you and could be making the problem worse.

If your goal is to simply keep walking your neighbors dog without losing him I would talk to them about training, OR do as Gimruis suggested and keep him on leash. I’m sure you’re aware they make the leashes that expand and adjust length so the dog can roam a little.

Tom schmitt

You will not be able to trust this dog again until he proves himself to you. Check cord until he is dependable. And immediately after he fails.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You will not be able to trust this dog again until he proves himself to you. Check cord until he is dependable. And immediately after he fails.

100 percent, dog won’t understand the punishment tomorrow

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Two words >>> Shock Collar.

-J.

cheers

Thanks for all the advise. Bearcat gave me the answer I was expecting and needed to hear . Training and shock collars are also the correct answer if I was the owner not just the neighbour. The owners also have issues with the dog not responding and being that the dog is now 8 years old it is probably to late to expect a big change change. I do have a 25 foot retractable leash but still prefer the dog to be free as we are in the woods . Tomorrow is a new day with a wonderful friend that is a bit naughty !

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Dogs don’t have conception of time when it comes to being punished.
    Punishment needs to occur immediately after the incident.

X2

MX1825

Just my 2 cents.
    You and the owners need to go to training to learn how to train the dog. Training/commands HAVE to be consistent from all parties so the dog knows how he is supposed to behave/act.

Ripjiggen

Is this a serious question?

X2…

You are the neighbor walking an 8 year old dog. Keep him on a leash and enjoy the companionship. No way two different households are going to train a dog.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk for a few hours. When you open it guess which one will be happy to see you?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk for a few hours. When you open it guess which one will be happy to see you?

LOL applause

curleytail

Sounds like the dog needs rope training and yes maybe an e collar. But be careful with the collars. Trainer and dog needs to be ready for it. Thowing a collar on and zapping the dog is not good to the dog, or effective.

Really at any point, scolding the dog wasn’t necessarily the thing to do. Maybe a little bit right at the moment of the dog not obeying. It was certainly too late after you got home.

If you scold a dog randomly, there’s a good chance they’ll look sad, even if they did nothing wrong. Correction has to be at the time of the issue. Even a minute or two later is too late.

cheers

Sounds like the dog needs rope training and yes maybe an e collar. But be careful with the collars. Trainer and dog needs to be ready for it. Thowing a collar on and zapping the dog is not good to the dog, or effective.

Really at any point, scolding the dog wasn’t necessarily the thing to do. Maybe a little bit right at the moment of the dog not obeying. It was certainly too late after you got home.

If you scold a dog randomly, there’s a good chance they’ll look sad, even if they did nothing wrong. Correction has to be at the time of the issue. Even a minute or two later is too late.

Thanks for the polite advise . The collar would not be an option as it is not my dog . Just needed to know time perimeters for discipline. Thanks

cheers

Is this a serious question?

Yes it was a serious question and rude responses like yours are not appreciated nor warranted. If you have nothing of meaning to add please do not respond to my posts
    Thanks

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Calling a dog then punishing it when it finally comes what have you just taught it?

Gitchi Gummi

As others have stated, you need to catch them in the act to have discipling be effective, anything else and you’re just confusing the dog and they won’t know why they’re being disciplined. E-collars should only be used to reinforce commands they already know, not as punishment. Check cord recall training is what needs to be established before you let the dog off leash.

Also, consistency on commands is extremely important, so you really need to talk with the owners and understand what and how they have trained the dog and use consistent commands. Some people will say “here” and others “come” (other examples are “down” vs “off” and “drop” vs “leave it”). If the dog was taught one command and you use the other, they don’t know what you are talking about and you are only going to make negative progress by using any sort of discipline.

Jimmy Jones

Just keep the dog on a leash. Problem solved. And you won’t have to answer to the dog’s owners if it gets hit by a car or is involved in some incident with another dog or person.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have trained several dogs… they will all wonder off if not told to walk at heel, they all will come back to me and walk at heel when training is complete. Walking at heel is one of the few new tricks an old dog can lean. A short rope, a long rope, and a pinch or “choke” collar is all that needed and in a few days of walking they will be 80% trained and the last 20% takes various amounts of time. All you have to do is repeat heal and give the short rope connected to the collar a quick, but abrupt snap to correct the position of the dog. After a day or 2 they will stop tugging and walk at you side. After that use a long rope and let them naturally range out a bit. When they get close to end of rope, give heel command and position them back at your side. After a few day of that they will get the hang of it and come to walk at heel 80% of the time. After that it is just repetition until the dog is 100% reliable. Older dogs have a stronger bond to people and a stronger desire to please.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Treats in your pocket are a good thing.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Anyone have a shock collar I could use?
    I can’t keep this sum b!t$& off my chair and it get very aggressive when I try.

Attachments:
    1. F7CB42FC-3722-4653-B65E-F2A3FFFBC9AC-scaled.jpeg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

EP i got one like that.The little ba$tard shows some attitude when moving her out of the way in the bed.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Gotta luv dem Mexicans. wink

MX1825

EPG just sit on it. Problem solved. whistling

shefland
    Walker

tried a shock collar, never again, hit the button and it locked in the on position Not good, sent it back for a refund

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.