Dog days on the Coralville reservoir

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Well the dog days are here for catfish. My son and his two friends called and wanted to go fishing at the reservoir so I took a break from working on my deck and we hooked up my jon boat and took off hoping for a decent day bite. The reservoir is still flooded with all the rains and dropping so we couldn’t get to any boat ramp close to where we wanted to go, so we put in over the edge of the road. Had to disconnect the trailer from the truck and turn the trailer, back it in over the edge and shove the boat off. Made it to the bridge and tied off and had 7 poles in the water, and no bites in our first spot. Went down to 2 more spots and just smaller catfish all under 12 inches, their always feeding. We were using small alive and dead bluegills, stinkbait and crawlers and no fish of any size.

Baking out in the sun for a few hours My son and I were ready to go so we all headed back. Justin and his friend wanted to keep fishing so I loaned them my boat and they fished until dark and got one 9 pounds and a few smaller ones around a couple pounds. Usually this time of year the day bite turns to a night bite because of the temperature of the water and the angle of the sun and it did last night. Were going this Friday or Saturday night and fish all night, put in around 9:00 and fish until sun up and probably runs some lines baited with bluegills. Beings theres going to be 4 of us wen can legally use 15 hooks apiece so we will have 4 trotlines and 60 hooks out all baited with bluegills.

We fished one logjam that had so many logs in it that it looked like a sawmills log storage yard, so were going to set in that general area. The logs had a lot of minnows around it so that should be a good spot to start with and is on the edge of the non visable submerged river bank. The water depth goes from around 6′ under the logs out to about 16′ in the main river channel all within about 75′ so it should be good. The reservoir has dropped about 2′ in the last couple weeks and is still dropping but it should still be pretty decent for fish catches.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.