dnr eagle nest

• gary d
    cordova,il

I see that the egg broken. You can go back on the red line to see a young eagle break the egg and eat it.

-340:33 about here is were it is at.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I’ve been following the Decorah eagle nesting (most famous Eagles in the world) for about the last 3-4 weeks.
    Been very cool to watch all 3 hatch and grow.
    The parents sure haven’t seemed very happy about the weather. Either Mom or Dad was looking extrmely pissed when the last snows feel

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

shady5

Very cool. Has anyone ever been around a nest with a chick? I fished by one in Canada last year. The chick screamed incessantly for food…those things are freaking loud! Had to finally get out of there….

eyeguy507
    SE MN

You definitely don’t want to be under one when they have to go number 2. Dear lord!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve been following the Decorah eagle nesting (most famous Eagles in the world) for about the last 3-4 weeks.
    Been very cool to watch all 3 hatch and grow.
    The parents sure haven’t seemed very happy about the weather. Either Mom or Dad was looking extrmely pissed when the last snows feel

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Last weekend was pretty comical watching those birds in Decorah. If anything could look absolutely miffed, it was those two adults. The youngsters are already too big to be covered by a parent bird. Man do they grow and food doesn’t sit around in that nest like it did while the eggs were brooded.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

The Decorah eagles have a big advantage. They are just a couple hundred yards from a fish hatchery so fishing is easy for them. waytogo

gary d
    cordova,il

I guess this is the story of the last egg on the Minnesota’s eagle cam from the DNR. Too bad it ended that way.

April 20 Update – The Last Egg
    The last egg on our EagleCam met its demise yesterday. A juvenile bald eagle, likely a 3-year-old bird, spent roughly two hours in the nest. The bird was obviously looking for an easy meal and found leftover carrion to pick at. Then it discovered the unattended egg in the nest. After rolling it around a bit, it finally grasped the egg with its talon and crushed the shell. A close-up in the video shows that the egg was not developed and was mostly liquid (albumen) and yolk. The juvie consumed the inside of the egg, which provided much needed protein and nourishment for this young bird.

The female at this nest has successfully raised 10 chicks in the last six years with what we believe to be a single male. This year, the female’s new mate appears to have been a first-time nester, learning from the female how to place sticks, share food and incubate the eggs. Duties normally shared by both birds fell disproportionately to the female, who was unable to feed herself, incubate the eggs and deal with harsh weather on her own.

While it’s disappointing that we won’t have eaglets to follow this year, the experience of watching and learning from these eagles on camera has still been phenomenal, and we cannot thank you enough for your donations in support of this, and all other Nongame Wildlife efforts. As long as the resident eagle pair and other birds and critters continue to visit the nest, we will leave the camera on and watch their behavior and appreciate this incredible gift of nature.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The male eagle at Dechora has been gone/missing for a week now. Hope the female can raise her 3 young on her own.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.