Dishwashers

• Huntindave
    Participant
    Shell Rock Iowa

The question….why after 15 years and nearly 5,500 trouble free cycles would you even consider changing brands?

Ripjiggen wrote:
    Do you think quality control in brands doesn’t change over time?

Do you think brands only get worse?

A lot of things change in 15 years. Today another brand may be heads above what was available 15 years ago. I am presently shopping (for a totally unrelated product) the old one served well, come to find out I can’t replace it with a “like” replacement. Things change, both good and bad.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Had a GE Profile and it was a piece of crap. Never again. We replaced with a Kitchen Aid a few years ago, and I have been really happy with it. I thought the GE was quiet, but with this Kitchen Aid you really can barely tell it’s runninng.

tim hurley
    Participant

Have to remember this stuff, boss wants a new dishwasher pretty soon-I actually like the sound of a cycling dishwasher, just me? As others have said these companies build a reputation with a quality product then the temptation to slightly dial back that quality is just too powerful.

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

I can only relate my experience with LG.
    3 brand new units, out of the box were bad.
    First one had something wrong with the drive – WEIRD noises.
    Second one was bearings ( called the store we bought it at and told them so – said “no way, they never fail” put the phone up the washer and the store says “yea, okay” )
    Third one electronics were bad. That was 10 years ago.
    Won’t have ANY LG product in my house.
    Just my two cents.
    The store support was a joke! Wanted me to bring back on my own. Told it would be several weeks before I could get a replacement and blew me off when I came into the store to talk to the manager.
    Nothing “stellian” about THAT experience!

ten474
    Participant

Hello, I am familiar with dishwashers and the reasons water might drain. I’ve fixed my own dishwasher before but this one has me stumped. There is NOT water at the bottom of my dishwasher, but there is water where my filter is. More than is normal. To the top of the filter. The filter is not clogged, no kinks in my hoses, and my my drain pump is fine. Any other ideas how to fix this? My dishes still get cleaned fine but this leftover water begins to stink up my dishwasher. Thanks in advance.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Skipped all the post. Went through several dishwashers over the years. Bosch is the only way I would go. I currently have a Bosch and it is the best one I have ever used.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

What about this method. rotflol

Attachments:
    1. image.png.c47cab69bdcac05990b3c6516a3beced.png

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

What about this method. rotflol

Ironically that is the case in my house. My dishwasher just called me to ask if I was going in the woods tonight

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

^^^^^^^ waytogo rotflol rotflol rotflol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ironically that is the case in my house. My dishwasher just called me to ask if I was going in the woods tonight

Hopefully she isn’t washing someone else’s dishes…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hello, I am familiar with dishwashers and the reasons water might drain. I’ve fixed my own dishwasher before but this one has me stumped. There is NOT water at the bottom of my dishwasher, but there is water where my filter is. More than is normal. To the top of the filter. The filter is not clogged, no kinks in my hoses, and my my drain pump is fine. Any other ideas how to fix this? My dishes still get cleaned fine but this leftover water begins to stink up my dishwasher. Thanks in advance.

Hey Ten, have you tried the manufacturers customer support?

Link to Customer Support

Baitwaster
    Participant
    South metro

Hopefully she isn’t washing someone else’s dishes…
    [/quote]

As long as she’s doing dishes and not cleaning the *ahem* entertainment center- your fine…

FryDog62
    Participant

I have a wife. She is not quiet at all. Breaks down often and complains when I try to fix. Don’t recommend. coffee

This…
    Remember it’s a dishwasHER, not a dishwasHIM yay

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

fixed it

Attachments:
    1. truth.png

Baitwaster
    Participant
    South metro

Also have a bosch – works great.

Whatever model you get – get one with the stainless steel tub – allows the water to get hotter.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Update sense someone dug this old post up, bought a used motor from a shop up the street ($50) and totally pulled the whole dishwasher apart and cleaned it, installed the new motor as the old one had a rusted pump head. Been working great for the past year sense I posted this. So now I have a 16 year old good running dishwasher. LOL

bassh8er
    Participant

Our GE took a crap after 3 years and a $750 repair that lasted 3 months until the next $675 repair.

We bought a Bosch as a recommendation from the repair guy and have been happy for last 4 years. Was another guy shopping to replace his GE while we were shopping for ours for what it’s with to ya.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve had the same dishwasher for over 30 years. Still works great!

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Im on my 3rd dishwasher in 25 years. FIrst was a kenmore, seal went out and I got a Bosch. Gave my parents the Kenmore my dad fixed it and is still using it. The bosch had a recall due to fire hazard and then gave up the ghost after that. Now I have some el cheapo which works fine.

picklerick
    Participant
    Central WI

I’ve got a Polish/German brand made in 1970. She doesn’t mind doing the dishes as long as I keep cooking and grocery shopping.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

I have come to appreciate my bosch even more after hearing how loud other brands are. My bosch is so quiet, I can’t even tell when it’s running. Some brands would give a lawnmower a run for its money in terms of noise. Peace and quiet is worth a premium in my eyes.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Update for us:

We are a year or so into the new place and opted for Samsung everything.

The dishwasher has been phenomenal (not sure on which model Samsung, but was the highest model a year ago). The wall mounted double ovens have also been impressive with their speed, uniform heating, and the options they provide. The microwave is a microwave and been fine. The Samsung refrigerator I would rethink if I bought it again. It seems to eat those water filters fast and the ice maker is slow, small, and clunky.

Brad Dimond
    Participant

We had our dishwasher fail a short time ago. The tech who red tagged it suggested KitchenAid or Bosch. We went KitchenAid, the installer was talking about its care and feeding and then told us it had been running while we were talking. Quiet as a mouse.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Bucky, for what it’s worth, after having a fridge with ice maker and cold water spigot. I’d never, ever own one again for the extra money they cost. Ice cube trays are way better.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

It seems to eat those water filters fast

Those things aren’t cheap either. My previous Whirlpool had filters that were like $50 each.

The one I have now is a Whirlpool as well but the filter is different and they only cost $10.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I have an RO system that feeds our refrigerator with water so I dont even bother replacing the filters in the fridge. Culligan replaces the filters once a year so no big deal.

Nice Fella
    Participant

We have a Miele dishwasher and works good, and it’s quiet.

Brittman
    Participant

Everyone here knows that GE is in name only now ? Haier (China) purchased the entire GE appliance group in 2016. GE (Haier) does still manufacture appliances in the USA.

Maytag, Whirlpool, and KitchenAid are all the same company now. Whirlpool is the parent named company.

Electrolux (Sweden) owns Frigidaire.

LG (aka Lucky Golden) and Samsung are Korean owned.

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Bosch is the Kitchenaid of the 60s/70s and then quite a bit more.

Brittman
    Participant

We have a five-year-old KitchenAid. Runs well and like the first day we owned it. Gets things clean and is amazingly quiet.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.