Disappointed with Fit & Finish on new Lund 1875 Pro V Bass

• Tim
    Participant

I’ve always been a Lund boat guy. I’m a supporter of the hometown team kinda guy. Sadly this spring when I picked up my new Lund the quality was just not there. I know its hard to get / find help etc. However I didn’t think I’d need to run around with a drill and tighten up a good number of screws with a drill. The bungee strap holder for the rods was screwed underneath the console making it inaccessible. The pullout ladder does not pull out. The very first time I was at the dock the to splash the boat the ignition switch just continued to turn as the nut ignition nut wasn’t tightened and the boat wouldn’t start due to the lose nut. Very problematic at a busy landing. I can understand issues with distribution and delays in materials, but the forgotten travel cover still hasn’t shown up. When I ordered a part to install the product/ part came with no instructions. I called and received a return call back a couple weeks later only to be told they don’t have installation instructions for a removable console. To LUNDS credit, the Rep really went above and beyond to try to help me and shot me out some initial schematics to help. He was also going to try to escalate the need for more installation materials for the consumer. When the console did arrive ( photo) I was charged $300 because they chose to deliver a 25-30lb part on a crate. It wasn’t an oversized box that needed to be shipped that way. This really does hurt me to say that my next boat just might not be a Lund. I NEVER thought I’d be saying that.

Attachments:
    1. 0EE3B432-7660-4CC1-AECB-459F58D6DEC7.jpeg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I deleted the one in the General Form. I like this one better with the bag over your head.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just wondering, what dealer sold it to you?

Tim
    Participant

That was kinda funny. My wife says I look like Brad Pitt in the dark. Dealership is in Northern Wisc. Great dealership! I’ve always had a great and positive experience with them. Will be using them again in the future. Highly recommend them.

Tim
    Participant

The dealer has been great. Actually credited me the shipping dollars back. They also offered to give it a good look see when I bring it in in a couple weeks. I think manufacturers, dealers, and consumers need to all be a little “understanding” at the “employee challenges” these days. I’m a firm believer that both dealers and manuf want to send out a superior product. Realistically, thats not always going to happen. You don’t throw out the baby with the bath water. I also think it important that they’re made aware when that doesn’t occur so they have the opportunity to correct it. That’s why my first discussions were to the company and the dealer (Not on a Blog) Which were both positive experiences. Again, I’m a home town team kind of supporter. Not bringing this to their attention doesn’t allow them an opportunity to correct an issue and is counterproductive- Thanks for the feedback

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dealership is in Northern Wisc. Great dealership!

What’s the dealerships name?

Tim
    Participant

What relevance does that have?

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tim wrote:</div>
    Dealership is in Northern Wisc. Great dealership!

What’s the dealerships name?

Why encourage him, he just registered here to rip on Lund.

Tim
    Participant

Dutchboy- not sure what your problem / issue is. I certainly wasn’t “ripping on Lund” and I choose not to help you with reading comprehension. If you prefer to just make personal attacks ( which this isn’t & wasn’t) – take it to Twitter. Good luck in the future with your efforts at and regarding a civil conversation.

deertracker
    Participant

If you are happy with your dealer, why not give them credit for doing a good job?
    DT

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

It seems odd that you think the dealer has been “great” regarding this issue and Lund is the only one to blame here. The dealer should have done a quality check on the boat and rigging before passing it on to you. The dealer should also be the intermediary between you and Lund for all these fixes considering it is a brand new boat. The dealer got paid in this transaction too, not just Lund.

To me it sounds like you are blinded by how much you want to like the dealer and are failing to see they have some duties to uphold in this arrangement that they are failing to come thru on.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tim wrote:</div>

If you are happy with your dealer, why not give them credit for doing a good job?
    DT

X2. It seems like you wanted to give the dealer credit for the help, but failed to give their name. I don’t see a reason for not giving them credit where credit is due.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

It seems odd that you think the dealer has been “great” regarding this issue and Lund is the only one to blame here. The dealer should have done a quality check on the boat and rigging before passing it on to you. The dealer should also be the intermediary between you and Lund for all these fixes considering it is a brand new boat. The dealer got paid in this transaction too, not just Lund.

To me it sounds like you are blinded by how much you want to like the dealer and are failing to see they have some duties to uphold in this arrangement that they are failing to come thru on.

I have to agree with this. The dealer should have found most of the issues that you describe prior to you receiving the boat. They should have been able to correct most of the issues up front or at least got the ball rolling to correct the issues.

Tim
    Participant

Well let’s systematically break that down in terms of critically thinking, shall we? Screws may have loosened over the year from pounding. Console was back ordered so the dealership would have no way to know the bungee was an issue. Travel cover was and still is back ordered. Distribution channel, labor or materials could be an issue. Don’t really think a ladder is pulled in the dealership prep process, but possible. Lund Rep went above and beyond the call of duty to help me with schematic/ drawing of console and went above the call of duty to make the lack of instructions a topic with HQ. Was the dealership deficient in the console instructions? I think not. They also offered to take a try at it when I brought it in. Dealership offered to send a person over or have me drop it off and give it a go over. I didn’t feel traveling a couple hours, waiting and having it “looked at” couldn’t wait til the end of season. Dealership did comp me the cost of the shipping even though they had nothing to do with it other than ordering the item. I’m also giving some grace as to low employment/ under qualified employees during this time to both Lund & the Dealership potentially being fought in the lack of qualified employees. Did I miss anything? I’m not looking to play the blame game. I’m simply asking if anyone else has received a boat in sub-optimal condition and if it’s a new normal or a luck of the draw. This certainly hasn’t been my experience in the past or I wouldn’t have bought the boat. I’ve already talked to Lund and the dealership. I did that first. That’s the correct way to handle an issue and both parties rose to the occasion. As I stated- I’m happy with BOTH responses.

Umy
    Participant
    South Metro

Good for you Tim – well thought out and mature

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Maybe I am confused here but not sure I would take ownership of a brand new boat that was missing a counsel. I would not be surprised if there were other issues if the manf had to send the counsel to my house.
    Glad you are happy with both now.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

lets use some critically thinking again here.
    Your original post said nothing about the screws becoming loose over a year of pounding.
    You said the Bungee Strap holder was screwed to the underside – Not that it was a part of the backorder Console
    The Pull out ladder would not pull out – Why do you think this is not something the dealer would check in the prep process – Finding this out while in a emergency would not be real good time to find out.
    Ignition Switch was not tight and would not start the boat – I guess that there is also no reason why a dealer would attempt to start the boat to make sure it starts either.
    Travel Cover forgotten – This is also something I would expect the dealer to be aware of and took care of handling to get resolved.

You said ” both parties rose to the occasion. As I stated- I’m happy with BOTH responses ” So if your happy with your experience from both the Manufacture and the dealership – Why the need for the Post ???

I’m not trying to be a A_ _ hole here. but you make a post here and then take exception with the replies you receive.

Tim
    Participant

You’re not being an A-hole. Appreciate the dialogue. For clarification- the bungee strap that connects to the stainless steel piece was screwed onto the wrong location. So when the back ordered console came in- I had to remove it and drill it into the correct location. It would have been covered by the console rendering it inaccessible. I chose not to wait for a console as the boat had plenty of use without the passenger console. And I also know the Lund I was trading would want to be put to use by that individual. I’m guessing the dealer did start the boat or should have. I’ll never know. The ignition nut may have been seeded enough to start or wasn’t being held tightly enough by the nut when I first tried to start it. Please understand-When you’re not in a metro area, you don’t always have the luxury of just not using what’s closest and/or available. Rural staffing can also be more of a challenge. We have what we have. We learn to be either more patient or more frustrated. As I want to support Lund as the home town team- I also want to support the hometown, plumber, electrician, dentist and marine etc. my VERY SIMPLE point is: unlike previous purchases with Lund, I just haven’t experienced issues. Period. Now I am. Is anyone else? I have Marvin windows. They had problems. They fixed them. I have a polaris sled. They CURRENTLY have problems. I hope they will fix them as well and undoubtedly will. I hope to buy another. If they don’t- wellllll….Is it simply okay to ask the question: is anyone else having some issues? If so is it a small correctable problem or a bigger correctable problem. And if so, is it being corrected!that’s all not tossing people or companies under a bus. Trying to understand trajectories. When I read between the lines, Lund loyalists ( like me) are pretty loyal. But I’m sure there are some GM people that now drive a Ram and vice-versa.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

Nothing wrong with supporting the home team. Lund has made a excellent boat for a real long time and I’m sure still makes excellent boats. I even know a few employees who work in the Lund plant building them. There is no doubt that the last few years have been some difficult times for lots of manufactures and businesses. It sounds like you have been happy with Lund boats in the past and have had a great relationship with the local dealer. Hopefully both of them will do what’s needed to correct some of their errors. Overall I think quality of lots of products has fallen off over the last 5-10 years. I’m not really sure of the reason. I do believe that many workers seem to take far less pride in the job they are doing than they use to. I also believe that many manufactures and business’s don’t put near enough importance on customer service as they once did. It’s sad, but I believe that’s just the way things have become.

Brian Robertson
    Participant

Hey Tim, hoping you may be able to help me out. I, too, ordered the port console for my pro v bass. I received a bag of hardware with no instruction. Would you happen to still have the documents the Lund Rep sent to you? If so, would you please share those schematics and whatever else was sent with me? I think I have a vague idea of what I’m supposed to do with the hardware, but could be completely wrong too!

sipple31
    Participant
    West Central Sconni

I purchased a brand new boat in 2021. I went to pick it up and it was sitting there with the incorrect motor on it. My heart sank, the sales rep hung his head, and we went into the office and determined that the order WAS sent to the factory correctly and the factory installed the wrong motor and then the dealership missed it and accepted delivery.
    In my opinion, it has something to do with corporations/enterprises pushing the whole “do more with less”, “let’s run as lean as possible” thing. Teams are asked to maintain output with less people and less budget… and more often than not it’s just a management/executive order but they don’t truly invest in the training and tools that are needed to run that lean. People become stressed and eventually burn out. They’re angry at the company for being understaffed. By that point quality and attention to detail are long gone.
    Did you know that Microsoft fired their entire quality assurance team that tested their Windows operating system patches? So now they are only tested by other code, not people putting them in real world situations. Numerous times in any given year they will roll out a garbage update to North of 1 billion users that breaks 57 things and THEY.DO.NOT.CARE. That’s a conscious decision that they made, believe it or not.
    So if you want to point fingers at declining quality, they should be pointed at the leaders of the company. It’s a decision. Pure and simple.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Sipple- you’re correct. I’ve seen it, lived it, got away from it. More MBA’s in leadership roles = worse quality. It’s a direct linear correlation, if it wasn’t so sad it’d be hilarious.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.