dewalt chainsaw

• slipbob_nick
    Participant
    Princeton, MN

Been a few threads on this saw. I picked one up this week and have been impressed. I don’t plan on cutting all day or taking down massive trees. Mainly wood piles, already down trees, clearing. Have been very impressed.

Thanks to Grouse for the good recommendation!

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Glad you like it so far. Keep us posted with a longer-term use report. Would love to know how many firewood-sized pieces you can cut on one battery charge.

I don’t own one, but when I tested them, the DeWalt cut like about a 40 CC chainsaw IMO. This clearly was nothing like the first generation of battery-powered saws, this thing ripped and in every way cut like a gas saw. Except no noise or stink.

I have gas power equipment of every size and shape, but if I were in the market for new equipment for the average home user, the battery stuff would be the first place I’d start looking. No gas, no oil, no stink, no winterizing or storage issues, not much noise, and with 2 batteries I think must guys could cut until their arms fell off and not outpace the battery supply

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Which one did you get? I picked up the 40v Max XR last week, but I haven’t gotten a chance to use it yet. The electric company left a pile in the driveway at it cabin, though, so I’ll get to use it soon.

dewalt
    DeWalt DCCS690H1

slipbob_nick
    Participant
    Princeton, MN

I got the 60 volt with 16″ bar. I got it at acme tools in Plymouth. Really wanted to see it in person before buying. they were the only place I could find it on a shelf and not have to order online and wait 6-9 days. for some reason there the 60 volt was cheaper than the 40 so I went 60. very impressive so far cut for awhile last night on a brush pile and it used 1 bar out of the three for the battery. when I charged it this morning in was fully charged pretty quickly. very little noise and cuts very fast.

the only thing is it does seem more fragile with most of it being made out of plastic. I’d hate to see a log fall on it.

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I bought the 20 volt with 12″ bar for trimming and light demo at work. Seems to work pretty good.

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

I bought the 20 volt with 12″ bar for trimming and light demo at work. Seems to work pretty good.

How is the battery life on the 20v and what size batteries do you have for it?

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

For some reason there the 60 volt was cheaper than the 40 so I went 60.

From what I read, the 40v XR is geared towards “pros” while the 60v Flex is geared towards homeowners. I really have no idea how that will play out, but I went with it. rotflol

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Haven’t used it much yet, I would imagine comparable to the other larger dewalt tools, I have everything from 1.5 ah up to 6 ah.

Joe Scegura
    Participant
    Alexandria MN

@slipbobnick1

I know a guy that uses his to cut spear holes in the ice. I guess it works great, have you tried it?

Oops I just noticed you said you just picked it up. It’d be interesting to see how someone would cut 30″ of ice with this… maybe cut then chip, then cut again? Seems an ice saw or auger would work better? It’d be sweet for about 12″ or less I guess.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I got the 60 volt with 16″ bar.

I picked up the 40v Max XR…

My, my, my, Ralph. His is so much bigger than yours. Did you keep the receipt? Maybe you should look at upgrading?

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

He’s just compensating for something. rotflol

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

I am wondering about these electric saws. My concern is the 18 volt and 20 volt construction saws seem to eat battery power. I’m talking about sawzall and circular saws. Seems odd that a battery chain saw would last very long.

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>slipbob_nick wrote:</div>
    I got the 60 volt with 16″ bar.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>
    I picked up the 40v Max XR…

My, my, my, Ralph. His is so much bigger than yours. Did you keep the receipt? Maybe you should look at upgrading?

Grouse

FG looks like there are a couple Tool Time Tims on here. Wonder if Binford Tools makes an electric saw? whistling

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I am wondering about these electric saws. My concern is the 18 volt and 20 volt construction saws seem to eat battery power. I’m talking about sawzall and circular saws. Seems odd that a battery chain saw would last very long.

I found this Battery Chainsaw Shootout to be a good resource. With the 40v DeWalt, they were able to cut a 7.25″ pine log 92 times.

slipbob_nick
    Participant
    Princeton, MN

Was thinking the same thing for spearing. Especially early ice. Right now I just drill holes next to each other and have a pretty heavy duty blunt chisel that used to be part of the rear end of a pickup. Would think the chainsaw would be slick especially with it not getting any dripping in the hole. For shavings already have a snow shovel with a hundred holes drilled in it. Great scoop for a spear hole.

Ryan Hughes
    Participant

I’m in the market for a limbing saw and you guys have peaked my interest. I have a lot of dewalt tools and have been happy with all of them. I use wood as my main source of heat in my house with my blaze king stove so I cut a fair amount of wood each year. I have a husqvarna 562xp with 24″ bar. The problem is with that long of a bar it is a little cumbersome to limb out trees after I have dropped them (I cut 20″ diameter trees or so). So I am in the market for a light weight some what affordable (not $900 like my 562) limbing saw. Would you guys think that one of these would fit the bill? I’ll do some more research but it seems like it would be an option.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Check on the published weights, but my 40v, at least, isn’t a light saw, at least once you add a battery (13.2 lbs). Other than that, I think it could be a good option.

Dusty Gesinger
    Participant
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

What kind of dewalt batteries and how many do you have already? Or else I also recently got a stihl 170, nice little gas saw.

Ryan Hughes
    Participant

What kind of dewalt batteries and how many do you have already? Or else I also recently got a stihl 170, nice little gas saw.

I’ve just got a bunch of the 20V max batteries right now. After doing a little research it looks like a stihl 171 would be the best option. Or a husqvarna 135. In my research I did come across the husqvarna 536li which is their version of a 40V electric saw that only weighs 5.29 pounds without the battery or cutting equipment. The battery weighs 2.87 pounds so all together you would be around the 9 pound mark which isn’t too bad at all.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Any word on when Milwaukee will jump into the battery-powered chainsaw game? I’ve got too much invested in Milwaukee tools to go any other direction. It’d be a nice addition to the lineup. The First Lady would love to step up her pruning game to toppling small trees when I’m not around.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So where are you guys finding these to buy locally. This seems to be the way to go for a saw that might get used once or twice a year in the yard.

slipbob_nick
    Participant
    Princeton, MN

Only place that had them in stock was acme tool in Plymouth. Great service I drove an hour to get mine but I’m an hour from everything on purpose.
    Will be using it again this weekend

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I was in Fleet Farm in Brooklyn Park last Saturday and they had the 60v Flex for $50 off.

garragelogic
    Participant
    Wayzata, MN

I own both the 60v and 20v saws, along with most other dewalt Max tools, and they are the ticket. I have Stihl saws for major projects up-North and I don’t even have a gas saw at home anymore. Now they need to make the pole saw in battery powered. My HT131 is a great saw, but a major workout to use.

basseyes
    Participant

Great thread, with a ton of useful information!

The weight factor is huge for me. Heavier saws wear on me over a long weekend and cutting in thick stuff. Be nice if they can lighten them up a bit and I’d definitely go with a shorter bar. Battery life will be interesting to watch over time as both the saws and batteries get used through the heat/cold of Minnesota.

Appreciate all the input on these saws!

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

So where are you guys finding these to buy locally. This seems to be the way to go for a saw that might get used once or twice a year in the yard.

That’s pretty hard on the batteries if they don’t get used often

Btw, I tried out the 20v hedge trimmer today. Was cutting 1/2″ limbs with ease

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Do the battery saws still use bar oil?

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Fleet Farm has both the 60v and 20v Flexvolt Sara for $50 off through 4/27. That’s $300 and $180, respectively.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.