Denny O, Jay and Iowaboy1 go on an adventure

• Iowaboy1
    Participant

Well folks, as you know I was invited to go to LOTW this week with the infamous Denny O from right here in IDO land.
    Firstly, thanks to Denny O and each of you that posted well wishes for my kid brother and that our trip would go well.
    In fact, it went very well, another adventure of a lifetime even though fishing wasnt that great until the last day, ya, it was cold, windy, raining when we got there, and a couple of minute long snow showers the next day or two.

My trip started with a lot of worry about John, the work load, etc so I went to communion just to ease my soul a bit, I gotta
    tell ya, that is the first time a preacher ever kicked me out of communion, He kicked my out because I carried in my forty ounce big gulp cup from kwik trip, he didnt understand that I had a lot of things that needed righted so to speak.
    ( please Lord forgive me, I was only trying to humor the folks here )

Denny O brought supper for the first night and breakfast the next morning, man, what a treat it is to eat something made from scratch!!
    I also got to meet Denny’s friend Jay that went along with us,another self made man that is an absolute blast to be around and getting to know him for a few days was nothing short of fun and an honor for me, I knew he was going to be a good guy
    when I found out he drank Jack as well, and I will go ahead and mention we both emptied our jugs and ended up spending too much in the bar lol.
    I gotta tell ya, I have been tinkering with a few issues with Denny’s Optimax, most of it was due to being several years old with very few hours on it and poor rigging from the original dealer.
    I was a bit worried about it being cold weather, going out many miles from base camp and knowing it only had a couple of shake down runs on a local reservoir, but my MEDS unit, pressure gauges and my noggin said we were good to go.
    Denny proved that when he crushed the throttle to ludicrous speed and the hole shot dang neart flung my fat butt out of the back of the boat!! Wholey crap!!
    we were on plane instantly and with three persons in the boat and a ton of gear that girl was singing at 50 per! I can only believe it will get better the longer he runs it.

The first couple of days was fishing in the river only as the lake was just too dang rough, around four hours the first day and we had had enough so we came back in.
    The third day we tried to get out on the main lake, about a mile out and too many rough waves did Denny in, we hit a very large wave that caused the air ride seat he was in to bottom out and slamming the vertebrae in his back into the storage lockers in the floor,
    Folks, I didnt know human beings could make the kind of sounds from pain that he did that day, heck, I thought I was hurting from a broken back from years ago on top off crashing my plane a year ago, but I know I didnt hurt like he did.
    The only good that came from it was that I was handed the helm a couple of times so that he could lay on the floor on the way out and back but dang that luck! I didnt get to feel what crushing the loud handle felt like nor did I get to run it WOT
    The luck also ran out when both solix units quit linking to GPS halfway out to our 25 mile run but fortune was on our side when I stopped to wait for it to link back up and we realized we were further out than thought and on target within a few hundred yards.
    I have no clue how I got us there and thankfully Jay recognized an eagles nest on an island he and Denny fished before.
    On the way back I was told to look at an antenna that appeared to be four inches tall on the horizon and to aim for it, being an old farm boy that was how we plowed and planted in a straight line, pick a fence post and head straight for it.
    I got us to the bouys and Denny took us in from there as I had no clue as to where the deadheads were, experience shined there I tell ya!!

On one of the first days, I dont remember which Jay caught a snot rocket and I caught a 20 inch walleye and a 21 inch sauger, it was then Denny told me I could not measure a fish by running the tape from the mouth to the tail and back around to the mouth,
    well, so much for huge fish in that lake!! I mean, come on !! a ten and half inch sauger and a ten inch walleye!!??? someone is always trying to ruin my day HA HA.
    The last day each of us put keeper fish in the live well along with a crappie I caught, what in thee heck is a crappie doing three inches off of the bottom??
    Denny and I also had to put back an over at 21 and 23 measured Denny’s way.
    I thought I was going to be able to see Godzilla pulled from the river but it was a 50 plus inch sturgeon caught by a fellow in the boat next to us, his first of two that day, congrats to him!
    I also thought I had sasqautch sighted but it was Denny coming from the woods, haha, just kidding, had to make this last line up for Glen57!

Okay, long story I know and I am sure I left some of the highlights out but hopefully Denny corrects, uh,er, ahem, adds to this and fills in the missing parts.

Again, thanks to everyone, to Denny,Jay and the opportunity to see part of the big north woods for the second time in six years and I am looking forward to next year.
    A huge shoutout goes to Sparklesonthewater for packing everything that I needed for the trip, Sparkles, you are something else and I am honored to have you in my life!!

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Glad you boy’s had a good trip and did’nt freeze to death.
    Denny does he think he’s Cpt.Merril Stubing since you let him run the boat?

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Glad you boy’s had a good trip and did’nt freeze to death.
    Denny does he think he’s Cpt.Merril Stubing since you let him run the boat?

Well maybe, but only when he is at the helm.

I’d have to say the worst part of the weather was the wind. When I tried to go out, we were facing 4 footers coming right at us. The worst part about them, they were fairly close together, 40 feet apart crest to crest plus or minus. I have been having back issues for the last couple of weeks and I thought my air ride was pumped up BUT << it found the contrary, so I’m paying for it. I’m improving now so I don’t think I’ll be making my 20th trip to the doc’s happy place but, I thought I was when we were in the boat.

This was my 23rd or 24th trip to Ballard’s and the Lake of the Woods with this group. Some of the early years there were 25 or so, the heaviest group numbers were 80. I hope to be invited back, I have very fond memories of this timeline! Jay and Sheldon are more than invited to make this trip again next year. This was a great fishing trip and one of the worst catching trips I’ve had. The major cold front was dooms day.

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Hey Sheldon……those 10″ & 11″ fish are considered trophy’s by many who fish LOTW.

Congrats on a good trip and glad everybody and everything got back in one piece.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

waytogo waytogo sounds like you fellers had a good time considering!!!!!

up there you gotta keep your eyes peeled, sasquatch can show up at any moment!!! jester

Denny, i think a meet up for breakfast coulda worked. my wife is at the granddaughters for a while, so i’m pretty much unsupervised!!!!! next time!!!!

i had the pleasure of fishing that body of water last winter!!!!!!!was a bucket list thing. it was only 30 below most of the time……but stayed toasty in my buddy’s ice castle!!!!

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

Glenn, as they say, “Maybe next year.”
    I hope your lovely bride is recouping well!

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

yep, next year. I’ll go see her tomorrow as it’s her birthday!

She seems fine and is in good spirits kinda feisty to. I do know one thing, if I had to go through what she has to do to keep that spacer in place, I’d be going to a funny farm!🙄

Denny O
    Participant
    Central IOWA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Denny O wrote:</div>

I’ll go see her tomorrow as it’s her birthday!

Tell her, “Happy Birthday, Youngster!” from me.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

waytogo will do. i may have to wait till after she gets done throwing stuff at me!!!!!!! jester we found out we are going to be great grandparents. i told her i was having a hard time accepting the fact i had to sleep with grandma…….but now great grandma!!!! doah i didnt think a woman could swear like that!!!!!! rotflol rotflol

iowaboy must still me sleeping off the Jack………..he’s been pretty quiet since posting this!!!! whistling rotflol

Iowaboy1
    Participant

Ha! not as much as you think!, I was going to go to work when Sparkles said she had the shop closed for the day, I took advantage of that trying to get myself straightened out as I couldnt get into the chiropractor Fri.
    Yesterday we spent five hours on the road to go get a 140 Suzuki for a repower I have scheduled, gotta tell ya, that ride set me back another day and guess what I am doing today?? yep, trying to get straightened out again, dang it !! Getting old sucks!

Sorry I missed your brides birthday! tell her happy belated for us!
    If she needs something else to throw at you I can make sure she has plenty of ammo for it! oh wait, that would mean another bunch of road time, ouch!!! never mind.

Thanks Dutchboy !

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

Ha! not as much as you think!, I was going to go to work when Sparkles said she had the shop closed for the day, I took advantage of that trying to get myself straightened out as I couldnt get into the chiropractor Fri.
    Yesterday we spent five hours on the road to go get a 140 Suzuki for a repower I have scheduled, gotta tell ya, that ride set me back another day and guess what I am doing today?? yep, trying to get straightened out again, dang it !! Getting old sucks!

Sorry I missed your brides birthday! tell her happy belated for us!
    If she needs something else to throw at you I can make sure she has plenty of ammo for it! oh wait, that would mean another bunch of road time, ouch!!! never mind.

Thanks Dutchboy !

rotflol rotflol rotflol

Iowaboy1
    Participant

Well, I didnt get to go this year so I have no report as I was so frigging sick it wasnt funny.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.