Mature Bucks

• Bob Bowman
    Participant
    MN

Quote:

Nice! How many fish is that this year on one bait?

So far this season I have 27 muskies in the boat, 24 of those muskies and countless pike came on 2 different-Dunwright Lifelike Walleyes, and they are still kickin

Awesome work with the camera James

bob_bergeson
    Participant
    cannon falls

“The hardest buck to kill is one that’s not even there. And the next hardest buck to kill is a buck that knows you are trying to kill him! As trail cameras prove time and time again, mature bucks simply don’t walk much during daylight hours, at least, not much this time of the year. Lots of early season bowhunters are putting serious pressure on their deer right now, only to educate and bump the very bucks that they are looking to get a crack at! So if you are bowhunting right now and going up against mature bucks…you better be on your A game or be prepared for along, drawn out season. The key to hunting mature bucks is the element of surprise. If they already know you are looking for them, they are 10 steps ahead of you! Be smart out there!”
    from outdoor essentials website

todders
    Participant
    Shoreview, MN

Good reminder Bob, this is a constant struggle for myself and many others I know. It’s the weekend…I gotta hunt . Some of us would probably be much better off taking up fall fishing for the next three weeks .

scottb.
    Participant
    Southeast, MN

gobbler
    Participant
    Central, MN

Hit the woods and get as many cameras out on a property that you can right now. If you have a good one around, he has to move during the day at some point. Figure out where “the spot on the spot” is and you can get a shot during legal hours. I know a lot of bucks seem to vanish this time of year. The reality is that the bucks are still there, just very cautious. Try and make the most of the 1st (2) weeks, once the element of surprise is gone, the next window of opportunity will be the last 2 weeks of Oct. (which I personally think is better than the rut)

qdm4life
    Participant
    Albertville, MN

Quote:

Some of us would probably be much better off taking up fall fishing for the next three weeks .

Ya buddy! If the winds are right Im gonna hunt this week near Randall. Id love to shoot him but I dont think I can yet, my main goal is gathering the intell for the camera but its a long drive so I figure I can justify it if I hunt.

The land owner decided to hunt on opener dispite the wind being totaly wrong…. I had pics of 2 10 points coming in from 645 to 710 everyday for 9 days until you geust it, opener night, have gotten a pic of either of them since, and the shits is he never saw anything! You cant battle the wind!

thegun
    Participant
    mn

good point Bob.. That is the reason I havent even sat in my best stand yet.. wind has been wrong on the days I could hunt..

I am hoping to catch one off gaurd when I sneak in there!!

good luck boys

kentuckyboy
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I hate waiting so long, but family time has me getting out for the first time at the end of Oct. I hope to be trick or treating for a nice buck.
    The fewer times I hunt early on, the fewer chances I have to educate them.

shednut
    Participant
    22 feet up

I agree Bob. I think putting in time long range scouting and waiting for the right time to dive in is paramount. Weather fronts are about the only time I hunt early in the season and it’s provided me with enough close calls, or passed shots on mature(4 1/2+ year olds)in the past few years to make me a believer. Just because you have the day off doesn’t make it a good day to hunt.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.