If you don’t believe

• scottsteil
    Participant
    Central MN

If you don’t believe in QDM, check out the link to Hillview Management. I posted this same link last year. The Hillview Managment group is a bunch of private land owners that work together to manage for big bucks, in Northern MN, where it can be tough to do. There land is just South of ours. We have over 1200 acreas around us that is managed also, that is not included in the Hillview Management land. Let them grow

web page

The web site is down right now, my guess is they are adding more pictures. Anyhow, it is worth checking back!

craig daugherty
    Participant
    Osseo, Mn

Scott,
    This management area is by the Menahga area? My buddy has property just 4 miles out of town. We have been doing QDM for 5 years now. The neighbor shot a 125″ 8 pointer that should of not been shot. We will be talking to the neigbor next weekend 11/29/08 to start a Co-op QDM. This will ensure better deer and higher land values for property owners.

rvrat
    Participant
    st cloud,mn

Scott I tried posting about them last night but had computer issues…Ive been watching their site for a while now and the mngmt. obviously pays off….now to get my gun slingin “if its brown its down” neighbors to get a clue….they are slowly gettin better though…Jay

scottsteil
    Participant
    Central MN

Craig, which way are you from Menagha? We are 6 miles West.

As for a 125 inch 8 pointer. I would pass it, but there are others around us that would not. But, I have no problem with them shooting that deer either. We have no set limits by us. We talk to our neighbors and encourage them to pass small bucks. Sometimes it takes a couple years but everyone sees the results, so it catches on.

When we started our goal was to get deer to 2 1/2 years old and reduce the doe population and we were very successful at doing that. Now, we are up to 3 1/2 years old or a heavy rack with brow tines. Again, we are not that strict and don’t really have rules as what can be harvested. But, we do not party hunt so when you shoot your buck you are done and NO driving deer. If they don’t move, they don’t move.

My thought is that once a buck gets to 2 1/2 years old its insticts get much better and the more bucks you get to that age the more will grow much older. Anyhow, we have had success I believe and now have a large population of seed bucks. Now I am working hard on providing adequate protein year around so they can maximize their potential. I made a committment this year to do a lot more year around and it starts already for next year.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.