The buck of my lifetime

• Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I would like to thank everyone for so many wonderful responses. It truly adds a lot to this overall experience.

Needless to say, I’ve been on cloud nine since I pulled the trigger on my release. The best part is that it has rekindled so many relationships with old friends and family members. It’s funny how a single deer can accomplish such an amazing feat.

Many of you asked what he is going to score: Most likely he will gross in the low 150’s.

I received an email from a friend of mine that really touched me as well. I would like to share it with you:

“You prove the point that the hunt is all about appreciating the process. I have often thought it would be great to be able to “hunt and release,” just as we do in fishing. Unfortunately, there is no equivalent in hunting when finally bagging a trophy. I especially relate to your comment about paying respect to the buck which was your quarry, your adversary if you will. To me, that is the recognition that Mother Nature has established a balance which includes humans. There is no simple matter of living, aging and becoming the master of your world. That buck became what he was because there was something more special about him. He had eluded hunters previously because other hunters were not quite worthy enough to find and overcome him.”

After I read this, I broke down and cried once again.

And lastly, I received “the best congratulations” from my son who is 8 years old. He drew his daddy in a tree stand shooting “the wide one” and gave it to me so I could remember him.

coppertop
    Central MN

Brad, Looks like jr. has got your rack down to a T! It is truly amazing a single whitetail deer is capable of touching so many people in different ways, all good. The world needs more respectful hunters like yourself. It’s amazing the emotions a great bowhunt can deliver!

coppertop
    Central MN

Brad, Looks like jr. has got your rack down to a T! It is truly amazing a single whitetail deer is capable of touching so many people in different ways, all good. The world needs more respectful hunters like yourself. It’s amazing the emotions a great bowhunt can deliver!

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Great story and even better pictures. Congrats! I think you might have a lock on the photo contest with that first picture of you and the deer and the nice fall colors.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Great story and even better pictures. Congrats! I think you might have a lock on the photo contest with that first picture of you and the deer and the nice fall colors.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Thanks hunting4walleyes for your nice comments. FYI – IDA Field Staff is not elgible to win the photo contest but are still encouraged to post photos.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Thanks hunting4walleyes for your nice comments. FYI – IDA Field Staff is not elgible to win the photo contest but are still encouraged to post photos.

lazermule
    North Metro of TC

Brad,

Great story, and a great read. This year, I bagged my personal best buck with a bow and it truly is a great feeling. I forwarded this story to my son who is 12 and just started hunting this year. He is a great shot with his bow but when we’ve been afield, he has done his share of missing shots which is completely fine to me. My new angle is to teach him to stay calm and maybe just observe that doe or small buck that comes in with no intention of shooting it. Appreciate the animal and what it does and how it behaves learning from its every move. I think your story will help me accomplish this with him as we manage our hunting properties and have great sucess with it.

LAZER

lazermule
    North Metro of TC

Brad,

Great story, and a great read. This year, I bagged my personal best buck with a bow and it truly is a great feeling. I forwarded this story to my son who is 12 and just started hunting this year. He is a great shot with his bow but when we’ve been afield, he has done his share of missing shots which is completely fine to me. My new angle is to teach him to stay calm and maybe just observe that doe or small buck that comes in with no intention of shooting it. Appreciate the animal and what it does and how it behaves learning from its every move. I think your story will help me accomplish this with him as we manage our hunting properties and have great sucess with it.

LAZER

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great to hear Lazer. Treating/Coping/ Controlling buck fever is not an easy thing to do much less on a 12 year old. It takes a lot of self control, practice and I have my own little secrets I use to stay calm that I have learned and use from reading countless articles on this subject. Funny thing is after the shot at a buck I come unglued at the seams. During and prior to the shot I’m calm as can be. This comes from a ton of practice and developing a routine for when a shooter buck comes in. I call it going into autopiliot or auto mode. I can not be sure of all what happens, other then I know when it kicks in and I do not have much rememberance of my thought process at this time. Kind of a weird feeling, I call it “being in the zone”. However, the same can not be said with a doe. I get the fever real bad prior to the shot and have to deal with it.

Good luck to you and your boy Lazer!

VERY COOL email and pic from your boy BRAD!

You are definitley a guy “THAT GETS IT” in my book. Anyone that knows me knows what this means as I have eluded to it hear before and believe me it is a good thing.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great to hear Lazer. Treating/Coping/ Controlling buck fever is not an easy thing to do much less on a 12 year old. It takes a lot of self control, practice and I have my own little secrets I use to stay calm that I have learned and use from reading countless articles on this subject. Funny thing is after the shot at a buck I come unglued at the seams. During and prior to the shot I’m calm as can be. This comes from a ton of practice and developing a routine for when a shooter buck comes in. I call it going into autopiliot or auto mode. I can not be sure of all what happens, other then I know when it kicks in and I do not have much rememberance of my thought process at this time. Kind of a weird feeling, I call it “being in the zone”. However, the same can not be said with a doe. I get the fever real bad prior to the shot and have to deal with it.

Good luck to you and your boy Lazer!

VERY COOL email and pic from your boy BRAD!

You are definitley a guy “THAT GETS IT” in my book. Anyone that knows me knows what this means as I have eluded to it hear before and believe me it is a good thing.

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.