Anyone with homemade trail cams

• Jeremy
    Participant
    Richland County, WI

I’ve been looking around a few websites and there seem to be quite a few making their own. A few different control board manufacturers and a few known cameras with instruction online on how to make them work with the boards. The main problem seems to be getting these cameras, even used at a decent price. Used digital cameras are going for too much on ebay

rkd-jim
    Participant
    Fountain City, WI.

If you watch closely on E-Bay you will find some more reasonably priced cameras. I picked up 2 Sony S40’s for just under $100 each, one used and one new. The new one came from what I’m guessing was a liquidater called Best-Buy Outlet. I also picked up a used Sony P52 for $50. The biggest thing is patience and watch the bidding. Other cameras that can be hacked for this purpose are Sony P32, P41 and S600. Also I believe Olympus 370 and 380. There are more but off the top of my head I can’t remember them. You should be able to put one together for under $200. That’s not bad considering your getting a trailcam that is comparible or better than a high-end Cuddeback.

If you’re looking for good sites to get information, the two best I’ve found are Real Deal Hunting Chat and Hag’s House. Get on either or both and you can find exactly which cameras can be hacked for trailcams and easy directions on how to do it. The people on these two sites have no problem helping anyone that asks for help.

rkd-jim
    Participant
    Fountain City, WI.

If you watch closely on E-Bay you will find some more reasonably priced cameras. I picked up 2 Sony S40’s for just under $100 each, one used and one new. The new one came from what I’m guessing was a liquidater called Best-Buy Outlet. I also picked up a used Sony P52 for $50. The biggest thing is patience and watch the bidding. Other cameras that can be hacked for this purpose are Sony P32, P41 and S600. Also I believe Olympus 370 and 380. There are more but off the top of my head I can’t remember them. You should be able to put one together for under $200. That’s not bad considering your getting a trailcam that is comparible or better than a high-end Cuddeback.

If you’re looking for good sites to get information, the two best I’ve found are Real Deal Hunting Chat and Hag’s House. Get on either or both and you can find exactly which cameras can be hacked for trailcams and easy directions on how to do it. The people on these two sites have no problem helping anyone that asks for help.

Jeremy
    Participant
    Richland County, WI

I’ve been on RDHC and chasingame.com haven’t been able to get on hag’shouse for one reason or another. I’ve been looking for a s600, s650, s700, or a nikon l11. I figure I should be able to hack the 650 or 700 based on the service diagrams I found on the 600. Most controllers just need to be hooked into the power and shutter buttons and possibly one wire hooked in to charge the capacitor for the flash

Jeremy
    Participant
    Richland County, WI

I’ve been on RDHC and chasingame.com haven’t been able to get on hag’shouse for one reason or another. I’ve been looking for a s600, s650, s700, or a nikon l11. I figure I should be able to hack the 650 or 700 based on the service diagrams I found on the 600. Most controllers just need to be hooked into the power and shutter buttons and possibly one wire hooked in to charge the capacitor for the flash

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.