Stands in Bedding areas?

• yeahmon
    Winona, MN

Does anyone place their stands in bedding areas for hunting during the rut? Especially in areas that have an old logging road or similar running through them.

Also, has anyone experienced bucks coralling a doe that is in heat or about to be, into ravines with a ditch in the bottom? I’ve seen this happen several times in the last 2 seasons but haven’t quite figured out how to hunt these areas.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I try to keep my stands along major deer trails that run between bedding areas and food plots but once the rut really gets going the deer don’t always use their normal bedding areas. Early bow season and again in the late season I like to hunt these areas but during the rut I will usually sit in stands on or very near the edge of the timber where the bucks travel the most and where they chase does the most.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I try to keep my stands along major deer trails that run between bedding areas and food plots but once the rut really gets going the deer don’t always use their normal bedding areas. Early bow season and again in the late season I like to hunt these areas but during the rut I will usually sit in stands on or very near the edge of the timber where the bucks travel the most and where they chase does the most.

Eyehunter

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

It can be done but be careful to keep hidden. Its chancy but if you can slip in and out during darkness you might be ok. Id use a travel route that is already made like the logging road and try to figure the layout on where thier traveling if they are useing certain routes going in and coming out. If thier just wandering around look for the most prints in the area and try not to leave any scent, i use raccon or fox scent. Had deer come right down the trail i came in on a little earlier useing these boot scents, spray the bottoms good. If theres any water around that would be the first place id start, then there to a feeding area.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

It can be done but be careful to keep hidden. Its chancy but if you can slip in and out during darkness you might be ok. Id use a travel route that is already made like the logging road and try to figure the layout on where thier traveling if they are useing certain routes going in and coming out. If thier just wandering around look for the most prints in the area and try not to leave any scent, i use raccon or fox scent. Had deer come right down the trail i came in on a little earlier useing these boot scents, spray the bottoms good. If theres any water around that would be the first place id start, then there to a feeding area.

shayla

As for hunting bucks in bedding areas during the rut…if you are talking about HIS bedding area, waste of time because he is chasing day and night and may be miles from his bedding area. If you are talking doe family bedding areas, you might stand a chance, especially if you do like MossyDan says and use an already existing trail to get in and out. I think there’s better alternatives because if you blow em out of their beds you can pretty much kiss that area goodbye…..so you better make it work the first time. I think you’d do better hunting a trail leading to or from, or a nearby funnel area than hunting directly in the bedding area. Let us know how it goes?

shayla

As for hunting bucks in bedding areas during the rut…if you are talking about HIS bedding area, waste of time because he is chasing day and night and may be miles from his bedding area. If you are talking doe family bedding areas, you might stand a chance, especially if you do like MossyDan says and use an already existing trail to get in and out. I think there’s better alternatives because if you blow em out of their beds you can pretty much kiss that area goodbye…..so you better make it work the first time. I think you’d do better hunting a trail leading to or from, or a nearby funnel area than hunting directly in the bedding area. Let us know how it goes?

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

Ding! Ding! Ding! I TOTALLY agree!

You probably do more harm than good setting up in the does living room. I know if one of you walked into my place and turnerd on the tv, I might just notice. That’s if I was home and not out hunting instead. If you do stop over though…. stay out of my Blazin Buffalo & Ranch Doritos!!! They kick

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

Ding! Ding! Ding! I TOTALLY agree!

You probably do more harm than good setting up in the does living room. I know if one of you walked into my place and turnerd on the tv, I might just notice. That’s if I was home and not out hunting instead. If you do stop over though…. stay out of my Blazin Buffalo & Ranch Doritos!!! They kick

yeahmon
    Winona, MN

Thanks for the insight guys. That’s what I was thinking. The reason I asked was because I had someone put up treestands in two of my hunting areas who wasn’t supposed to be in there. And of course he put them up right in the middle of the bedding areas, which has really screwed up the stands that I have that are close to but a safe distance from the doe bedding areas. I gave those areas a few days off while the landowner was having him remove the stands. Do you think these areas are screwed up for the rest of the year or will they come back? I know he has been around these areas quite a bit recently and while there is fresh buck sign in there, I have seen only a few deer that have been spooky. I’m guessing that the deer that are going through there are doing it at night.

yeahmon
    Winona, MN

Thanks for the insight guys. That’s what I was thinking. The reason I asked was because I had someone put up treestands in two of my hunting areas who wasn’t supposed to be in there. And of course he put them up right in the middle of the bedding areas, which has really screwed up the stands that I have that are close to but a safe distance from the doe bedding areas. I gave those areas a few days off while the landowner was having him remove the stands. Do you think these areas are screwed up for the rest of the year or will they come back? I know he has been around these areas quite a bit recently and while there is fresh buck sign in there, I have seen only a few deer that have been spooky. I’m guessing that the deer that are going through there are doing it at night.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.