Broadhead ?

• mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Got an issue with my broadheads planing to the left. Any ideas? Shooting with field points is dead-on out to a great distance, but when I shoot the broadheads, they all go to the left. At 40 yards, they’re ending up close to a foot to the left of where the field points hit. Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrows, 100 grain field points, 100 grain 4-blade Muzzys. I even tried it with 125 grain 3-blade Muzzys and came up with the same result. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Besox

No ideas on the problem, but I never could get my Muzzys to fly as well as I wanted them to. Maybe it’s a fletching issue?

Besox

No ideas on the problem, but I never could get my Muzzys to fly as well as I wanted them to. Maybe it’s a fletching issue?

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Whenever i shoot fixed blade broad heads i always have the blades line up with the fletching. I dont have any real evidence that it works but my fixed broad heads shoot straight. I also found when shooting fixed blades its good to sight your bow in with the broad heads you will be shooting. Buy 6 of them and use 3 to sight in your bow. and keep 3 brand new for hunting.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Whenever i shoot fixed blade broad heads i always have the blades line up with the fletching. I dont have any real evidence that it works but my fixed broad heads shoot straight. I also found when shooting fixed blades its good to sight your bow in with the broad heads you will be shooting. Buy 6 of them and use 3 to sight in your bow. and keep 3 brand new for hunting.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

The most important question here is.. are you getting consistant patterns with the broadheads even though they dont shoot exactly the same as the field points?

If you sight in your bow for the broadheads and your getting consistant patterns(where your aiming).. thats all that matters.

Most fixed blade broadheads do shoot different than field points. If there is any inconsistency in the pattern on the same arrow type(weight, length, and fletching), its usually due to a broadhead being slightly off center on one arrow… for example, if your shooting 3 arrow groups and one arrow is always 6″ off… that broadhead probably isnt centered.

You need to take into consideration that the fixed blades act as wind rudders so arrow flight is being stabilized at the front(broadhead), and at the rear(fletching) of the arrow. Just the arrow flex when being release from your bow can throw your shots off slightly when you add the extra *rudders* on the front of the arrow. A field point is going to react like a dart and correct itself in a different manor than the broadhead. The fixed blade broadhead will actually correct its flight faster than a field point.

blah blah blah….

Just sight in your bow to the broadheads. If you are getting a consistant pattern, you will have confidence when taking aim at your deer.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

The most important question here is.. are you getting consistant patterns with the broadheads even though they dont shoot exactly the same as the field points?

If you sight in your bow for the broadheads and your getting consistant patterns(where your aiming).. thats all that matters.

Most fixed blade broadheads do shoot different than field points. If there is any inconsistency in the pattern on the same arrow type(weight, length, and fletching), its usually due to a broadhead being slightly off center on one arrow… for example, if your shooting 3 arrow groups and one arrow is always 6″ off… that broadhead probably isnt centered.

You need to take into consideration that the fixed blades act as wind rudders so arrow flight is being stabilized at the front(broadhead), and at the rear(fletching) of the arrow. Just the arrow flex when being release from your bow can throw your shots off slightly when you add the extra *rudders* on the front of the arrow. A field point is going to react like a dart and correct itself in a different manor than the broadhead. The fixed blade broadhead will actually correct its flight faster than a field point.

blah blah blah….

Just sight in your bow to the broadheads. If you are getting a consistant pattern, you will have confidence when taking aim at your deer.

elkmantom

The frirst thing I would do is paper test your bow and make sure it is properly tuned. If it is then adjust your sights for the braodhead you want to shoot. I also would use that broadhead to practice with. Bows, just like guns, don’t always shoot different tips in exactly the same spot. If your bow is tuned properly don’t worry about it.

elkmantom

The frirst thing I would do is paper test your bow and make sure it is properly tuned. If it is then adjust your sights for the braodhead you want to shoot. I also would use that broadhead to practice with. Bows, just like guns, don’t always shoot different tips in exactly the same spot. If your bow is tuned properly don’t worry about it.

adamj

How about expandables? They shoot the same as field points.Just my 2 cents

adamj

How about expandables? They shoot the same as field points.Just my 2 cents

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Fixed blade broadheads do not fly like field tips. The aerodynamics are totally different between the two. You are best off getting a broadhead proof target and practicing with broadheads only. I know that my arrows fly true with field points and fixed-blade broadheads up to a certain distance but once the broadheads get past that distance they tend to sail depending on the cross-winds. I had to mess around with how the broadhead is turned on my arrow to get the best flight possible out of my broadhead tipped arrows. I use Zwickey 2 edge 125 gr. broadheads with bleeder blades. If I turned them horizontal when shooting they tended to sail up or down too much. When I turned them vertical then they tended to sail to one side or the other. I turned them diagonally and got the best overall flight. The best advice is to practice with what you are going to be shooting with. You can get pretty dialed in with fixed blades if that is what you are practicing with.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Fixed blade broadheads do not fly like field tips. The aerodynamics are totally different between the two. You are best off getting a broadhead proof target and practicing with broadheads only. I know that my arrows fly true with field points and fixed-blade broadheads up to a certain distance but once the broadheads get past that distance they tend to sail depending on the cross-winds. I had to mess around with how the broadhead is turned on my arrow to get the best flight possible out of my broadhead tipped arrows. I use Zwickey 2 edge 125 gr. broadheads with bleeder blades. If I turned them horizontal when shooting they tended to sail up or down too much. When I turned them vertical then they tended to sail to one side or the other. I turned them diagonally and got the best overall flight. The best advice is to practice with what you are going to be shooting with. You can get pretty dialed in with fixed blades if that is what you are practicing with.

Eyehunter

col._klink
    St Paul

GO buy some Thunderheads that will fix it

Throw those muzzy’s in the garbage or use em for a breakfast butter knife

col._klink
    St Paul

Throw those muzzy’s in the garbage or use em for a breakfast butter knife

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

There is two things to be sure to do. First off is to make sure the broadhead lines up with the fletchings. That is if you are shooting a 3 blade. The second would be practice with your broadheads also. I keep 3 broadheads with worn out blades for practice. If you sight it in while shooting broadheads there is no questions if they will shoot straight or not, because that is what you sighted it in with. If you really wanted to be sure you can use the same arrows and just replace the used broadheads with new ones and your ready to hunt.
    I myself have not had a problem with shooting fixed blades as long as you sight your bow in with them.

My .02

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

There is two things to be sure to do. First off is to make sure the broadhead lines up with the fletchings. That is if you are shooting a 3 blade. The second would be practice with your broadheads also. I keep 3 broadheads with worn out blades for practice. If you sight it in while shooting broadheads there is no questions if they will shoot straight or not, because that is what you sighted it in with. If you really wanted to be sure you can use the same arrows and just replace the used broadheads with new ones and your ready to hunt.
    I myself have not had a problem with shooting fixed blades as long as you sight your bow in with them.

My .02

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just spun my broadheads on last night, getting ready for the ripley hunt next week. Guess what ? All shots were 4″ left @ 20 yards and 7″ left at 40 yards. I took about 6 shots before readjusting my sights and walla !!! Right on again

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just spun my broadheads on last night, getting ready for the ripley hunt next week. Guess what ? All shots were 4″ left @ 20 yards and 7″ left at 40 yards. I took about 6 shots before readjusting my sights and walla !!! Right on again

big g

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Quote:

I used thunderheads until last year…always had to resite for the 4″ difference in flight compared to my field tips…and that was at 20 yds. Because I continued to shoot throughout the season with my field points I got sick of readjusting to the different flights. Thus, after doing some research on various archery websites, I narrowed it down to 2 recommended broadheads: 1) Muzzy 3 blade and 2)Nap Nitron. Further questions to a Gander Mtn archery manager had better feedback on the Nitrons. Now….less than 1″ flight difference at 40 yds compared to my field points. They have a very short axis and 1 and 1/16″ diameter cut..supposedly the sharpest out of the box.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Quote:

I used thunderheads until last year…always had to resite for the 4″ difference in flight compared to my field tips…and that was at 20 yds. Because I continued to shoot throughout the season with my field points I got sick of readjusting to the different flights. Thus, after doing some research on various archery websites, I narrowed it down to 2 recommended broadheads: 1) Muzzy 3 blade and 2)Nap Nitron. Further questions to a Gander Mtn archery manager had better feedback on the Nitrons. Now….less than 1″ flight difference at 40 yds compared to my field points. They have a very short axis and 1 and 1/16″ diameter cut..supposedly the sharpest out of the box.

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

I appreciate all of the input, guys. I’ve never used mechanicals before, and wouldn’t know where to start as far as picking a certain brand, the whole “rubber band” thing, etc. My thoughts are that I’ll pick up some 100-grain 3-blade Muzzy’s and sight in with those. I’ve always used 3-blade heads before, just wanted to give the 4-blade option a try, no particular reason, though. Colklink, Thunderheads is what I used to have, but was never a big fan of them. Big G, same exact thing except add 3″ to the left at 40 yards. Scary! Thanks again everyone.

Mark

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

I appreciate all of the input, guys. I’ve never used mechanicals before, and wouldn’t know where to start as far as picking a certain brand, the whole “rubber band” thing, etc. My thoughts are that I’ll pick up some 100-grain 3-blade Muzzy’s and sight in with those. I’ve always used 3-blade heads before, just wanted to give the 4-blade option a try, no particular reason, though. Colklink, Thunderheads is what I used to have, but was never a big fan of them. Big G, same exact thing except add 3″ to the left at 40 yards. Scary! Thanks again everyone.

Mark

big_g
    Isle, MN

Colklink, not much for giving out your opinion huh…

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Colklink, not much for giving out your opinion huh…

big g

col._klink
    St Paul

Well there is a few of us that like to joke

I say whatever your fancy stick with it!

If it works for you than perfect……………..

col._klink
    St Paul

Well there is a few of us that like to joke

I say whatever your fancy stick with it!

If it works for you than perfect……………..

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ditto….

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ditto….

big g

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yep, pick one you like and have fun Since you are the one shooting, it is totally your choice. Kind of like politics, religion, and women

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.