Deer Season Ammo

• deertracker

My favorite ammo is unavailable. Seeing lots of Winchester Deer Season with a polymer tip. Anyone using this bullet for deer?
    DT

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I have a partial box of 308 150gr left. Never shot a deer with it as it didn’t group well in my Bushmaster. I might have to see if it is better in my nephew’s Mossberg Patriot

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My favorite ammo is unavailable. Seeing lots of Winchester Deer Season with a polymer tip. Anyone using this bullet for deer?
    DT

Are you referring to the ballistic silver tip?

deertracker

I was shooting Winchester ballistic silver tip. Both of my kids rifles were tack drivers with them. Can’t find it anywhere. Need it in 30.06 150 grain and .270 130 grain. Lots of Deer Season ballistic tip around.
    DT

snelson223
    Austin MN

Try Reeds. They have a big sale this weekend with lots of ammo.p

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I was shooting Winchester ballistic silver tip. Both of my kids rifles were tack drivers with them. Can’t find it anywhere. Need it in 30.06 150 grain and .270 130 grain. Lots of Deer Season ballistic tip around.

This is what I shoot in 30-06. I haven’t been able to find them anywhere either. They were near $40 a box before the shortage. I’m sure now they will be closer to ridiculous.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I made a post about ammo and silver tips many years ago here on ido. It ended up being a great post with a ton of great ammo and shot placement info. Now that I think of it the post was probably on shot placement not the ammo. The ammo just was part of the post. Many members here said to “ throw those silver tips as far out into a lake as possible “ if anyone could find that old post and post it here that would be great. My guess is that it was 10 years or so years ago.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I found the old post. It was titled – 270 WSM AMMO / BLOOD TRAIL ISSUE.
    Dated Nov. 11th 2009. Much longer ago than I thought. Not sure how to pull the post into this one or to link to it. Lots of great info. In that old post

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This is what I shoot in 30-06. I haven’t been able to find them anywhere either. They were near $40 a box before the shortage. I’m sure now they will be closer to ridiculous.

My caliber is 7mm-08. I bought three boxes before the pandemic when they were $34.99/box. Luckily I don’t go through many rounds when I deer hunt. If I’m lucky, one or two at the range and then one well-placed shot during the season, so it will last me a while.

I have to imagine they are closer to $50/box now.

deertracker

Between my kids and I, we have shot over 30 deer with the silver tips. Always had great results.

I see Reeds has two options for .270. Berger Hybrid and Vital Shok Nosler BT. I’m not familiar with either of those. I found some Trophy Bonded on Ammo seek but it’s $50/box. Ouch!
    DT

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Between my kids and I, we have shot over 30 deer with the silver tips. Always had great results.

I see Reeds has two options for .270. Berger Hybrid and Vital Shok Nosler BT. I’m not familiar with either of those. I found some Trophy Bonded on Ammo seek but it’s $50/box. Ouch!
    DT

The Vital Shocks use the same projectile (Nosler Ballistic Tip) as they are in the Winchester ammo…only difference being I believe Winchester MOLY coats the projectiles before loading.

John Timm

I’ve used the Winchester deer season in 30-06 for several years. Haven’t lost a deer with them yet, and the deer haven’t gone far after the shot as well. Not much of a blood trail as they usually don’t exit from what I’ve seen. But like I said they didn’t go far after the shot. So far so good.

duh queen

I’ve shot 150gr powerpoints and silvertips for years thru my Savage 110FCNS. Never had a problem. Granted, few of my shots are greater than 100yds, so I can’t speak to their use beyond say, 250yds. But off hand standing shots regularly group to sub 2 MOA, and braced shots come in at 1MOA.
    Too often, but not always(some guns just don’t like certain rounds), shooters blame the round and not themselves for sub par results.

The 230gr .44Rem mag JHP Silvertips, AKA “black talons”(remember them?) are absolute tack drivers coming out of my old Rem model 788 with consistent sub MOA groups.

Robert Harris

Winchester deer season 30-06 is my go-to. Can be a bit pricy cpr, but well worth it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Fleet Farm had 0 slugs the other day. And 30-06 Springfield were like $46 for 20 rounds, which is crazy. Thankfully I only need 1 shell a year (if you know you know jester ), and have a few dozen so I’ll be waiting it out.

CaptainMusky

I found some Trophy Bonded on Ammo seek but it’s $50/box. Ouch!
    DT

I had been searching for 243 ammo for over a year. Finally found a box of Norma Whitetail and it was $50 a box. Bought it. Then I realized the only 243 gun I have is the youth rifle which my youngest will probably only use this year and be done with it. I had like 8 rounds left of the original box. Now I will end up giving it away when I sell the gun.

Robert Harris

Fleet Farm had 0 slugs the other day. And 30-06 Springfield were like $46 for 20 rounds, which is crazy.

Buying deer round during(or close to) deer season is just so not worth it. Usually, I’m buying between seasons, same goes for hunting rifles I get. During season prices go up sky high and noone else anything in stock.

deertracker

I should follow-up with what I did. I ended up ordering Barnes TTSX. 130 grain for my .270 and 150 grain for my 30-06. Found them on Ammoseek. Both guns seemed to like the rounds and only had to do minor scope adjustments.
    DT

deertracker

Thanks Browndog. I did see those on Roger’s, just not the bullet I wanted.
    DT

MNdrifter

I can confirm the 12ga Winchester Deer Season sabot slugs DO NOT group at all out of Remington 870’s with Hastings rifled slug barrels. Tried in 2 Votex scoped 870’s (both sons) from a bench in a lead sled.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.