Deer River, MN area?

• Jason

I have never fished this area before so I’m looking for some general guidance.
    I’m planning on going after some crappies and walleyes mid next week. Does anyone have any info that they would like to share?
    If so please send me a PM.
    Thanks
    Jason

glenn57
    cold spring mn

There are soooo many lakes in that area, which direction from deer river??

Also walleye won’t be open till Saturday.

Jason

There are soooo many lakes in that area, which direction from deer river??

Also walleye won’t be open till Saturday.

I won’t be going up until midweek after the opener so no issues there.
    As far as what direction I’m not sure. I can fish big water or whatever.

Alex Fox

Leech…my favorite is the Annex for walleyes.
    Winni…in the sand out in front of High Banks resort.
    Bowstring…in the sand on the east side for walleyes.

For crappies, almost any of those lakes hold 14 inch crappies. Round lake and Bowstring hold them.

Go to Fred’s Live Bait and Tackle just NW of Deer River. They always have shiners no matter what, and they will give you good info on the hot bites.

PmB

Definitely hit the Sportsmans Cafe for breakfast

mojogunter

I fished Sand Lake last June. Getting walleyes out of the protected slot was a challenge. The other thing I noticed was the amazing amount of zebra mussels in that lake. We found fish in all depth ranges from in the sand on the first break line to 35′ in the rocks. No area was better for fish that you could keep. The vast majority fell into the protected slot. There is also a large number of sunken logs in the lake as well. That made for some cool SI images.

Attachments:
    1. 20200613_101833-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I fish Jessie when I’m in that area. Buddy has land on it. It can produce some nice fish

Alex Fox

I’ve also heard good things about Jesse, but have never connected on that lake. The lakefinder numbers on that lake say it should be very good.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve also heard good things about Jesse, but have never connected on that lake. The lakefinder numbers on that lake say it should be very good.

It’s always quiet when I’m up there. I might see 2 local guys all day. Last time the poor boat inspector guy said I was the only boat he seen in 5 days lol. And we did very well.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

The Jessie landing isn’t that far from us but is super shallow. I should hit that lake again but it usually kicks my butt. blush

Jason

The Jessie landing isn’t that far from us but is super shallow.

Well I need to pretty much sink the tires on the tandem trailer or my boat will never come off the bunks.
    How deep is the access at Little Ball Club?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The Jessie landing isn’t that far from us but is super shallow. I should hit that lake again but it usually kicks my butt. blush

I had a inn with my buddy who has the land. His girlfriends dad used to run a resort on Jesse 25 years ago or so. So we had good details on where and how.

queenswake
    NULL

I feel like I could spent 10 years up in the Deer River/Marcell area and still not try out all of the lakes. Love all the old school mom and pop resorts around there and how undeveloped the area is. You really feel like you are away up there.

That said, some of the lakes are tough. North Star was tough. Deep and clear and nothing worked. We had to work really hard even to find bluegill.

Jack the Horse was good for pike and crappie.

I would love to try out more.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    The Jessie landing isn’t that far from us but is super shallow.

Well I need to pretty much sink the tires on the tandem trailer or my boat will never come off the bunks.

never been on it, so couldn’t tell ya, sorry.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I had a inn with my buddy who has the land. His girlfriends dad used to run a resort on Jesse 25 years ago or so. So we had good details on where and how.

any hints??🤭 coffee jester

glenn57
    cold spring mn

any hints??🤭 coffee jester

I feel like I could spent 10 years up in the Deer River/Marcell area and still not try out all of the lakes. Love all the old school mom and pop resorts around there and how undeveloped the area is. You really feel like you are away up there.

That said, some of the lakes are tough. North Star was tough. Deep and clear and nothing worked. We had to work really hard even to find bluegill.

Jack the Horse was good for pike and crappie.

I would love to try out more.

been up there since 1965 and still haven’t got close.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I would focus on Bowstring and Winnie/Cutfoot. Both offer great crappies and walleyes and should be on this weekend.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Very shallow. I really wanted to fish that lake when we were in the area. Got to the launch, waited awhile for some guys to dismount and launch some motorless boat I couldn’t quite see, then got to the launch myself and the disappointment set in. It’s possible someone with waders or shorts on could really push a boat into deeper water but that wasn’t something that would be done with me and the father in law. Plus after the water’s edge was either mud or mucky sand, creating even more space you didn’t want your tires sinking into. This is my only experience there but it sure didn’t look friendly to normal motorized boats.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I heard Jessie froze out two years ago?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Alex Fox wrote:</div>

[/quote

I have seen nothing like that while fishing the lake. It was great all last summer

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Alex Fox wrote:</div>

I’ve been up there alot since last June. Have not heard that one. One would think that he tough but ya never know.

Jason

Which public access is the best on Bowstring?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

There are 3, on the south side and I’ve never been there. One next to geiger’s resort but only used that ice fishing.

Then the one off cry Rd 35, nice access, shallow but pretty doable. Lot of parking, but opener it’s usually packed and parking on the city Rd is possible.

Jason

Which public access is the best on Bowstring?

Well I first tried to launch the boat at Bowstrings main north access and it wouldn’t come off the trailer because the bow was sticking due to the incline. When I backed it in further it only got shallower behind the washout area. I ended up driving to the south access off the long gravel rd. Very nice access and the boat came off without a hitch. Going out into the main lake from there is fairly shallow (3′-4′) so you need to be a little bit cautious but the mapping was good. We ended up catching a couple of meals worth of nice walleyes so it was all worth it.

Ross Gunderson

S as nobody been out on leech? Staying in walker tomorrow and hoping to get the lady on eyes or some nice jumbos. I appreciate and guidance.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.