Deer recovery

• Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Wife hit a buck , muzzleloader. She said it ran and bedded within site . She said it was putting its head up and down . I get to her stand, deer is gone . Long story short left it overnight and found next day 1700 steps later .Deer was hit low brisket bedded about 10 to 12 times .By the condition looked like it had been dead for 3 /4 hours . Little rigor mortis.I would have pushed that deer into the next county had i pushed it .

WishIwasWiser

Hey all, following up on this thread. It so happens that the only daytime pic that I have of a target buck named DoubleWide (mentioned above) was taken the day after I tagged out on the 9pt (subject of this thread) and went home. 6 years of hunting this buck. 100’s of nighttime pics since 2018. No one I know has ever seen this deer. I’ve talked about him with my dad for 6 years. I saw this buck twice last year, including once at 32 yards with no shot during bow season (I was cool as a cucumber until after he bounded off and then my steel ladder stand was shaking so hard I thought for sure the straps would break!)

But I digress. On Veteran’s Day 2023, one month after my dad passed away…DoubleWide screwed up. I swear it’s because it’s the only way my dad could have been with me. Parkinson’s had him and wouldn’t let go. 10 minutes after legal I layed down two full minutes of hard rattling followed by 8-10 grunts (I lost count). Every thing was wrong about this morning, not the least of which was wind direction. Two minutes after I put my call away, DoubleWide ran past me at 20ft and full speed!! Up comes the muzzle loader as I knew he would eventually stop in my open pasture somewhere before he hit the wood line 125 yards away. He stopped cold, broadside, at 60 yards. Steaming,and soaking wet from running through frost covered standing corn. And he was pissed! I have never heard a deer make the sounds he was making. Within 2 seconds of his stopping a cloud of smoke blocked my view and this 6 year hunt was over. 100’s of hours on stand, passing on many nice deer, waiting for him…it was done. I still can’t believe it happened. And I’m thrilled my dad was there with me.

It was never about the 22” inside spread with DoubleWide. He hung at 290lbs two weeks into the rut. Now what!? I kinda miss him…

Attachments:
    1. DoubleWide1-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Good job brother. That’s a great way to end the chase. And dad was with you the entire time. Congratulations

FinnyDinDin

Sounds like dad chased him in. Congrats on the monster deer. Sorry for the loss of your father.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Maybe I’m just a relic from a bygone age, but I wouldn’t dream of tracking ANY wounded deer without carrying a weapon with which to dispatch it. I don’t care how bad I “think” the deer has been hit, or what the blood trail appears to show. If you’re going to track it, be ready to finish it off at the absolute first contact.

Also, can I just say that ending the chase with minimal suffering to the animal and ensuring the recovery of the meat should always be the #1 priority.

There is an ethical principle at stake here. We’re all hunters, we all share this obligation. Any concerns about damaging the meat or the head are purely secondary “if possible” concerns. IMO the #1 responsibility is to finish off the wounded animal as quickly and humanely as possible within the bounds of what the law allows.

If it is (or could be) necessary to shoot to finish off an animal after dark, call the CO. I have never heard of anyone being denied permission or being somehow implicated in shooting after legal hours for finishing off a wounded animal when the CO has been called first. Even if only a message was left.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

“legal shooting hours” are not the ethical and right thing to even consider when putting an animal out of its pain and misery…
    Not trying to sound gruff but in reality judgment is more important that “laws” sometimes.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

1. I’m never tracking an animal without someone in the party being armed to finish off a wounded animal.

2. Legal shooting hours wouldn’t be the slightest consideration for me.

3. “Jumping on an animal and slitting its throat” is not as physically simple as people make it out to be. I’d wager most people who suggest this have never done it. I have twice and won’t ever again.

Northwind

Wow, that’s a heck of a buck and story to go along with it. Condolences on the loss of your dad.

brandyman
    West central MN

Thank you for sharing your bittersweet story.

27eyeguy

Awesome buck, congrats. Your dad is proud and may he RIP.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

10’ away and he couldn’t get up????? I would have (and have done) jumped on him and knifed him in the lungs to dispatch him. Boot on the antlers holds the head down.

Congrats.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If dispatching a wounded deer after dark is against the law, I know more than a few criminals. Its not anything a hunter wishes for, but if you hunt long enough, it will happen. Any game warden who would issue a violation for finishing off a wounded deer should not be a game warden.

blackbay
    mn

FYI the original post was from last year. The OP updated it with the story about bagging double wide this year.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.