Deer cart

• Nitrodog
    Participant

Thinking of getting a Deer cart. Anyone have experience with them? What models to stay away from

tornadochaser
    Participant

I have the $60 cart from sportsmans guide. I bent up and added some 5′ lengths of conduit onto it to make it easier to pull like a rickshaw. Pushing it sucks when loaded.

I suggest spending the extra $30-$40 and get an aluminum one.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Thinking of getting a Deer cart. Anyone have experience with them? What models to stay away from

I thought you just threw te deer across your shoulders fireman style and jogged back to camp?

Or is this cart for those dang out-of-shape kids to use?

Grouse

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I bought an aluminum one from fleet farm about 10 years ago. Hauled 2 deer at once 2 times. Works pretty good for the years we don’t have snow. I’ll try to grab a pic when I get back to the house. Maybe I’ll need it tonight! 🤞

Can’t see it well, but this buck got the ride in 2018. Bring atleast 2 ratchet straps for legs.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20181013_194443760.jpg

B-man
    Participant

I have an aluminum one I bought from Gander Mountain. It’s lasted a decade and has been through some rough stuff. Folds nice for storage too. I’d suggest one with metal spoked wheels.

Just used it yesterday waytogo waytogo

Got a slob Birthday Buck (I turned 38 yesterday, and felt 58 by the time I got him out of the woods lol)

11 a.m. at 29 yards in a 25mph wind. It was a brutal morning but I’m glad I stuck it out.

He has the most wicked brow tines I’ve ever seen. Green scored him at 140 2/8″

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20201101_091706.jpg

2. IMG_20201101_0918162.jpg

ThunderLund78
    Participant

I wouldn’t mind trying a cart, but we hunt the MN river valley. Rarely a flat haul-out. Usually, it’s 2-4 guys on the rope/antlers and 10-20 ft at a time. And it’s completely miserable the older we get. Do they make any carts with wheels that will lock if it starts to roll backwards? I guess I’ve never looked into them. Hard to even get wheeler/winch to where I hunt.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

That is a fantastic buck B man. Dandy indeed

Bill Sackenreuter
    Participant
    Devils Lake ND

I use a jet sled,ratchet strapped to my cart top and bottom with deer inside,kinda like a wheel barrel,works so much better than cart alone.
    If I had to do over,I would probly buy one of those lawn wagons with inflatible tires and removable sides.

sorgy
    Participant

The heavy plastic toboggan is a really good tool to help with getting your deer out of the woods.
    The one I have is about 5 feet long and 20 inches wide. you can tie the deer to the sled with paracord and with the heavy rigid plastic sled it slides up and over logs and holes.
    The other great thing about using a sled is that you do not drag the hair off of your deer if you are lucky enough to get one that you may want to mount.
    I have seen them in Camo, Orange and Blue at hardware stores and even Menards. They run $45. My sled is 15 years old and in great shape.

Do not use the flimsy $20 sleds that you see around.

Good Luck

Steve

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Nice buck B-man! Congrats! waytogo
    Where are those boys when you need them? whistling

tornadochaser
    Participant

I wouldn’t mind trying a cart, but we hunt the MN river valley. Rarely a flat haul-out. Usually, it’s 2-4 guys on the rope/antlers and 10-20 ft at a time. And it’s completely miserable the older we get. Do they make any carts with wheels that will lock if it starts to roll backwards? I guess I’ve never looked into them. Hard to even get wheeler/winch to where I hunt.

If it’s private land and the terrain sucks that bad, why not just pack the meat & cape/head out on a frame pack?

Bass Thumb
    Participant
    Royalton, MN

When in doubt, pay a little to get more durability with the heavier-built aluminum carts with flat-less wheels. I recall my buddy saying he dropped about $150 on his.

We were able to get about 5 years about out of the previous cheap one before things started breaking and bending. The nicer one he purchased has lasted 10-plus years, and it’s still in good shape.

chuck100
    Participant
    Platteville,Wi.

Great buck B-Man.

B-man
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words guys, it was a ton of fun!!

Love putting that trusty cart to use lol

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

Dang B-Man! Those are some Gnarly Brows! Nice work! Congrats! bow

haleysgold
    Participant
    SE MN

I’ve never used it but these seem like they’d be really nice. Mariah car-go-cart.
    Kinda spendy but might be worth it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.