Decoys

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Looking at getting 2 or 3 decoys for this up coming spring season. And I see I can spend 9 dollars up to 200 per decoy. Looking for suggestions. Was thinking about getting a jake, full tom, and feeding hen maybe ? Does that all sound right or any other suggestions. Any input is appreciated

Hoyt4
    NULL

Bear
    Anything will work. I have Avian decoys but bought them on sale. Rogers will have a sale for them even camofire.These most years stay in the truck. A jake and hen are what I recommend but there are a thousand different opinions. A few times two hens and one jake. I have the feeder hen and breeding hen, half strut jake. Good luck hope the kids knock one down and yourself. Great time to be in the woods.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

No kidding, the Funky Chicken jake decoy has worked for me both times that I know the Toms were coming in specifically because they clearly saw the decoy. It may have worked other times, but there were 2 specific times when the Tom came in, clearly saw that scrawny, fearful-looking jake, and–they just seemed to quickly make the decision to come over and kick that jake’s ass. There was none of this cautious creeping and looking around, they saw the Funky Chicken with a hen decoy and they just made a straight line for it.

Neither one got close enough to actually attack the Funky Chicken. They never saw it coming.

isu22andy

Ive killed atleast 20 toms over an Avian 1/4 strut jake and hen. I kinda get a chuckle out of guys that use the strutter than the jake the the 1/2 strut jake then just the lone hen. Being where they want to be on flydown and strut is 90 percent of the battle.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a jake and a hen. If I’m using decoys, I just use one hen most of the time. Quite often I don’t use any decoys at all.

I think the full strut tom decoy probably scares off more than it helps.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. I talked to some guys at my archery league and scored a 1/4 strut jake and hen last night for the big price of a case of beer.

Now I just have to practice my slate call a little bit and hope to put the pieces together.

Brittman

All and all combinations have their place. I use decoys more when guiding others and rarely when hunting on my own.

Decoys generally help position inbound Toms in the right spot (kill zone). Toms also tend to focus on that Jake decoy’s redhead making people movement less noticeable. I try to position the decoys so inbound Toms are not directly inline with the decoy and the gun … easier said than done … turkeys do not always follow the path you think they will – even if you have been scouting them.

Decoys seem to work best for us 10AM – 4PM. Early and late less so … my observations…

I have watch Toms and Jakes absolutely try to destroy a Jake decoy. Most of the time they start by pressing up hard against the decoy and pushing on it. If it falls over most will spur it.

If there are a lot of Jakes in the area you hunt, Toms can become Jake shy … It is amazing how a gang of Jakes can disrupt a hunting area. Two Toms together seem to be more susceptible to decoys …

Jeff Schomaker

Personally I have had best luck running a 3/4 strut jake and a hen. But I spread them out and let the Tom decide whether he wants to approach the Jake or the Hen. I have had them both try to kill the Jake and breed the hen. My best advice is to make your decoy setup try and look as natural as possible. I usually set the Jake up to make it look like he is following the hen about 5-10 yards behind her.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.