Damned Barbed Wire

• crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

It’s almost unavoidable. Public land, private land, roadside ditches. They all have it, and almost all of my dogs have tangled in it.
    This past weekend was the Iowa opener and my 1.5 year old lab found it too. I hope it can be chalked up to a learning experience for her. On the IR list for 10 days now. Here’s to hoping it heals quickly!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Bummer! Knock on wood, but mine hasn’t had any major scrapes with it yet, but I know it’s a matter of time. He did try to scoot under an electric fence once–man, he took off like a bat out of hell!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

He did try to scoot under an electric fence once–man, he took off like a bat out of hell!

LOL

My dog once got hung up on an electric fence in deep snow. She just kept yelping and yelping until I got over there and lifted her off of it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Fences, skunks, racoons, badgers, yotes, angry pigs….. Iowa aint no walk in the park fellas.

catmando
    wis

Don’t forget the Black Angus bull!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

The vet in SD knows me pretty well….if I don’t make at least 1 visit they get worried I didn’t make it out. The farm we hunt has all new high tension 5 wire barb…..and those barbs are sharp, it sucks. It is so tight you can climb it like climbing a ladder, the dogs backs even get cut up going under it. My 7 year old has a bald spot where here leg meets the should from getting it torn off last year and then infected… I hate that stuff.

Gerty

My partners dog after messing with a fence in IA on Saturday.

Attachments:
    1. pic.jpg

stevenoak

I always worried more about my dog than myself when I hunted. Helped get a buddies Setters head out of a 220 conibear. Shock collar box probably saved its life. My Lab had hip surgery at 2 1/2. she hunted till 9. But would not jump a fence. I was happy to lift her over, rather than hold my breath every time she jumped one. The up side of habitat destruction. Fence lines are one of the first things to go.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Gerty, Ouch!! That’s a bad spot too. High friction/mobility areas are the worst!

Jensen

Hope for a healthy and speedy recovery to those 2 dogs. I have had that happen as well now they get shocked anytime near a fence. Sometimes its unavoidable but most cases keep them away and less of an issue

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Both while hunting and hanging out in Iowa I think this sums it up for our dogs. LOL

Attachments:
    1. unnamed.jpg

Gerty

Doc told him it would be good to go in 2 weeks. Best part is that his dog is so dang mellow it doesn’t even need the cone of shame. My GSP would have had that thing licked back open in about 5 minutes.

Nice Fella

My wife cringes every time I head out with her “little furr-baby”, and I cringe every time I bring her home with some kind of injury, or covered in pond muck.

Hope your lab makes a quick and full recovery, crossin_eyes.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks to all for the well-wishes. She’s doing great so far. She’s been wearing some old t-shirts this week instead of the cone of shame, and she’s not bothered the stitches one bit. Scheduled to get them removed next Thursday, just in time for a Friday trip. )

LabDaddy1

My dog ran through, over and under it so many times this weekend in Iowa I can’t believe she didn’t tear herself up. I cringed every single time.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.