CWD in SE MN

• mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

The Star tribune just published and article saying they have 2 confirmed CWD bucks fro Lanesboro area. They hope to have controlled hunts or sharp shooter cull the SE herd way back. This January

Bassn Dan
    Participant

Any “game” farms in that area????

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

No Idea. I only know that that is part of the area with a point restriction. THat will now be out the window. I am not in favor of point restrictions but I am sure many are. I would think culling is going to just kill any deer so the point restrictions are moot now. there is also a ot of leased hunting land their and they will not be able to get the biguns for the outfitters. Just a mess I am sure

Mwal

pass0047
    Participant
    Pool4

Chronic Wasting Disease discovered in two wild deer in southeast Minnesota

Control zone deployed to protect deer and elk farms

St. Paul, Minn. — The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) identified two positive cases of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in wild deer near Lanesboro. The Minnesota Board of Animal Health (BAH) is responding to help protect the state’s farmed and wild deer populations. A disease control zone with a 10-mile radius will be established around where the two CWD positive deer were found. Farmed deer and elk herd owners within this zone will not be allowed to move deer or elk into or out of the zone until an investigation has been completed and movement restrictions released. There are four deer or elk farms located within this CWD control zone.

“We are restricting movement of farmed deer and elk within the disease control zone until we have finished our investigations and evaluated the risks on each farm for the transmission of CWD from wild to farmed animals,” said BAH assistant director, Dr. Paul Anderson. “Our staff will personally notify each deer and elk farmer whose herd is located within the disease control zone and will begin the investigations.”

mwal
    Participant
    Rosemount,MN

The article said there were 4 deer/elk farms within 10 miles

EW6
    Participant

Of course there were, what a coincidence! When will MN deer hunters say enough is enough and demand the end of deer/elk farms. The public pays the price for the benefit of individual gain.

reverend
    Participant
    Rhinelander, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mwal wrote:</div>

Of course there were, what a coincidence! When will MN deer hunters say enough is enough and demand the end of deer/elk farms. The public pays the price for the benefit of individual gain.

I’m sorry, but I also have a particular issue with the game farms as well. Of 2 TOTAL CWD deer discovered in my neck of the Northwoods segment of Wisconsin, 100%(both, if you prefer) came from deer inside the pen of these farms. WI DNR enacts measures to control the spread, while simultaneously loosening fencing and testing regulations for the deer farms.
    Essentially, CWD doesn’t exist in the Northern WI deer herd, but hunters still pay the price.

I hope MN DNR hasn’t been crippled by politics the way ours has flame , and is able to take measures to slow/stop the spread.

-Rev

Hoyt4
    Participant
    NULL

One more found this weekend. I guess it’s from the gun season but just verified with CWD. See what reaction happens from this one now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.