Custom Rod Guide Size

• PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Does anyone here know what size Recoil guides TB, TUCR or DH use? I’m thinking of getting into building some rods myself but noticed that the guides in my TUCR are slightly larger than my DH and TB rods.

Also, what are people’s opinions on Recoil versus the same size fly guide?

tucrs
    NW Metro

Everyone’s design varies slightly, we use a #3 REC Thorne and DH use a #2 ( I believe ). The difference is quite small, if we are comparing outside guides to outside guides.

Fly guides are good, but they are not very durable. They are heavier which will slow certain rods action. The noodle rods are where REC really are needed.

REC have a smaller surface area so water does not have as much area to freeze on. Like everything eventually you will get freezeups. They flex inside a rod case as well.

They are not cheap though.

I have used fly guides on ice rods for years the benefits of REC for ice fishing is well worth the $30 in guides IMHO.

John

tucrs
    NW Metro

This brings up a good study of what the average REC guides weighs to fly guide.

I will do some digging.

scmelik
    South Dakota

I have 2 rods with recoils and 6 with regular #6 wire fly guides and after two years of fishing all the rods hard mostly outside the shack I can honestly say that I don’t see much if any difference in one over another.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.