Current Chester Woods Ice Conditions

• Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

Anyone been to Chester in the last week (or any other Rochester waters for that matter)? I’m looking to go tomorrow. My conventional thinking tells me that it should be safe enough to walk out but I’m not sure. I won’t have many other opportunities this year (especially after this heat wave) so I’d really like to get out there.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

You should have ice for a walk tomorrow, just be sure to take your spud bar. I’d park in the high lot and walk down the hill to the beach area to access the ice and cut the time on the ice from the boat launch down.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

Much appreciated, thanks Tom!

Jack Patschull
    Participant
    Rochester mn

I’m heading out to Chester as well tomorrow with the kid. I take the far parking lot. If you see an otter, that may be us.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

I was out there from about noon-4:30, saw one shack but didn’t think it was your Otter Jack. I was very happy with the ice conditions. Unbeknownst to me there apparently was a kids’ ice tourney scheduled today but they cancelled it due to “deteriorating ice conditions” which meant a lot more room for the few people that were there. I’d say a good 14-16 inches of ice, at least where I was at. No real honeycombing, nothing pulling away from shore…the ice looked real good.

chirp
    Participant
    Rochester

Dan,
    How did you do? Was out there a week ago and really did well. Some nice 9 inchers out of about 25 feet of water. No crappies. 3 of us had over 60 fish. All let go. Was a blast. Was out on Fosters yesterday had about 8 inches of good ice and 2 inches of slush. Lots of little stuff. A few trout. Hope it cools down or the ice will be hurting.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

I did really well also, caught about 40 bluegill total between my brother and I and actually found quite a few with real good size. They were all off the bottom in about 22 feet of water. I’ve only fished there twice this winter and only 2 total crappies. Then again, I’ve always fished away from the community holes I’ve seen, so I would guess that those community spots are where the crappies are.

Jack Patschull
    Participant
    Rochester mn

I really enjoy Chester woods, but I’m only catching bluegills. Some decent ones 9 1/2+. Same depth about 24 feet. Can’t catch a crappie to save my life. I tried minnows and no luck.

Jack Patschull
    Participant
    Rochester mn

Here is the video of my father in law catching his pb on Chester woods. 10 1/4 bluegill

chirp
    Participant
    Rochester

Jeff how was the ice?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Jeff how was the ice?

More problematic…..How will the walk be?

Jack Patschull
    Participant
    Rochester mn

I was out for a walk at Chester yesterday. All slush. Wonder if there is any ice up north?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.