Crow – Who knew???

• stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

So I’m watching an episode of Swamp People and I see Glenn pick up a road kill crow that wasn’t stiff yet, took it home and made dinner out of it. Of course, the claim was that it was good eatin’. So…. I YouTube the subject and lo and behold, people are eating crow! In fact, they’re all claiming that it’s pretty good. Therefore, I caved in and yep, I like it!

Two things I’ve done:

1. Cut the breast meat into strips and fried it in a little oil with taters, onions, and mushrooms, seasoned with black pepper, minced garlic, basil, and dill. Tasted like little roast beef strips and ate very well.

2. Threw the breast meat and the legs into a crock pot with a pork roast, taters, onions, and carrots, well glazed with 3oz. oyster sauce, 3oz. Kikkoman Ponzui sauce, and a quarter cup of soy sauce. The breast meat tasted like some canned beaver meat I’d sampled as a kid (yes gentlemen, that sounds funny!) and the crow legs tasted no different than squirrel legs. Literally, in texture and flavor, they were just smaller squirrel legs!

I liked the breast meat in the first recipe better. The legs…. definitely in a crock pot where the meat will eventually fall off the bone and eat tenderly.

If you’re into chicken liver or hearts, the liver is a little sweeter than a chicken’s and the heart is identical. It seems that no matter the animal, heart is heart and I have yet to discover any differences between them.

If you care to experiment, search through the YouTube videos for other creative suggestions. Biggest thing to take away is this…. if you decide to keep a crow, DO NOT leave the legs behind if you didn’t damage them! No one on YouTube is saving them and they’re missing out on the best meat! Crow legs are my new favorite delicacy!

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

Thanks for sharing.

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have eaten crow in the figurative term more times than I care to count, but to literally eat it is way down on my list. well after raccoon, possum and skunk. If you like it great, have at it, but myself, not going to happen. I know what they eat mad

Bassn Dan
    Participant

I think it was on here a few years ago that someone posted about a friend that ended up in the hospital with numerous kinds of parasites after eating undercooked crow that he had grilled.

IceNEyes1986
    Participant
    Harris, MN

I have eaten crow in the figurative term more times than I care to count, but to literally eat it is way down on my list. well after raccoon, possum and skunk. If you like it great, have at it, but myself, not going to happen. I know what they eat mad

My thoughts exactly!! I couldn’t do it.. But, to each their own. shock

trophy19
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Was given a bag of mountain lion jerky a couple weeks ago. Sampled a piece – tasted fine, had never thought of people eating the meat before.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Only you Ken, only you. toast

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’m more impressed you shot one! They always seem to know I have a gun in my hand…

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

I think it was on here a few years ago that someone posted about a friend that ended up in the hospital with numerous kinds of parasites after eating undercooked crow that he had grilled.

The same rule of thumb applies to pork and chicken too. I wouldn’t advise flirting with medium-rare samples… oh… and maybe know how to cook too because I know a few people that shouldn’t be trusted with a box of Cheerios let alone cook meat! waytogo coffee

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Ha ha!!! No one’s forcing you man, I’m just sharing another broken paradigm, that’s all. Hehe… but based on the reasoning of your last sentence there, you might want to become a vegetarian! hah devil

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Only you Ken, only you. toast

bow Thank you very much! I’m a single, aging man Bri…. trying new/weird foods is about the only reason I need balls anymore! rotflol

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

I have eaten crow only a few times and basically because I got too confident in my fantasy football takes….anyone else…….bon appetit

blackbay
    Participant
    mn

You’ve seen Glen right? That guy would, and probably has, eaten most anything he can find.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

You’ve seen Glen right? That guy would, and probably has, eaten most anything he can find.

I’ve seen Glenn and met him up front and personal and this whole thing reminded me of him right off. lol

On a real note, Rochester has a very well know archery shop owned by someone I know personally again and he and the shop hosted a crow shoot for the first time a couple years ago. At the end of the shoot they skinned crows and marinated a mess of them in various concoctions and then cooked them up on a grill or two for a “feast”. A few weeks after this affair I had the occasion to ask the owner how the feast went. He said only that it was a novel idea, but would not be re-visited, then left the topic quickly. It didn’t take a lot to get me to pass on this event and subsequent dinner.

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blackbay wrote:</div>

I’ve seen Glenn and met him up front and personal and this whole thing reminded me of him right off. lol

On a real note, Rochester has a very well know archery shop owned by someone I know personally again and he and the shop hosted a crow shoot for the first time a couple years ago. At the end of the shoot they skinned crows and marinated a mess of them in various concoctions and then cooked them up on a grill or two for a “feast”. A few weeks after this affair I had the occasion to ask the owner how the feast went. He said only that it was a novel idea, but would not be re-visited, then left the topic quickly. It didn’t take a lot to get me to pass on this event and subsequent dinner.

You guys crack me up! (Warning: Long winded, conversational response)

Tom, I tend to agree with the “feast” assessment. I would never do it or promote it because it really hinges on too many psychological considerations. We’ve all met people that don’t like venison, they won’t even try venison simply because it’s a deer! Imagine setting up a squirrel and rabbit feed almost anywhere these days. Nothing’s changed in the last 100 years regarding these animals but who raises bunnies for food anymore? How many people hunt squirrel anymore? There’s been a paradigm shift in our country/society regarding the perception of almost all wild game, and why wouldn’t its shift when I’ve read that only 6% of the U.S. population still hunts? For every 6 people embracing the activity alone, there’s 94 others not participating for any reason, and not all hunters are freezer-filling consumers themselves. It’s a well documented fact that people in this country do not eat many plants and animals (and/or animal parts) that the rest of the world doesn’t think twice about, flinch, cringe, or bat an eye over. This nugget of information blends into the subject of being finnicky. Pick any food that you know is perfectly delicious, that doesn’t look as appealing as cake or ice cream, and get a kid to try it for the first time. They already “know” they hate it because of the way it looks, or the way it smells, or Jimmy and Sally don’t like it, and then we get into texture issues beyond that so the paradigms just live on. My parents, for example, will go to a restaurant of choice and order the same thing every time. They rarely try a new establishment because they know what they like, what they’re in the mood for, and it automatically cancels everything else out. Getting them to try anything new is like pulling teeth, yet they raised us kids to simply try things once and if we didn’t like it, we didn’t have to keep eating it, but we were required to try it, especially if someone went through the trouble of making it for us! I’ve asked them to compare their reluctance to something new or different to the first time they discovered a new dish or a new eatery, and they’re like, “Why would we chance disappointment when we know we like this”? To that, I question why they took the chance on “that thing” they like so much? I’m more of a cut that sees life as an adventure, as a whole. I explored and learned and discovered as a child, why would I ever stop doing that or lose touch with the thrill of discovering something new? I can go to the same restaurant 10 times and I’ll order 10 different things. “That item was good, why not try this one?”…. and even if I like a different dish better, does that make my current choice a bad experience? Rarely. It’s true, more so than ever, that even the poorest of people in this country now have the luxury of being as finnicky as they want to be. If all they want is mac and cheese or taquitos or pizza or hamburgers, the availability permits it. How many people know that sushi has nothing to do with raw meat? It translates as “vinegar rice”, which IS in all sushi vs. raw meat, that ISN’T in all sushi.
    “I don’t like sushi.”
    “Have you tried sushi?”
    “I don’t have to try it, I don’t like raw meat or fish. I like my food cooked.”
    This is the perfect paradigm example because so many believe that sushi is raw fish, but it’s not. It may include raw fish, but hundreds of varieties are made with cooked meat or fish inside and they’re amazingly tasty, yet somehow, we’ll eat chemically created foods like chips and cold cereal without hesitation.
    Humans…. we really are a funny bunch. Look at the people from India that refuse to eat pork because it’s a filthy, disease ridden animal. Their cultured paradigm is that pork is terrible, it’s gross to even consider it, they’ll tell you it tastes bad, and we’re insane for eating it! It’s not considered sacred like beef, it’s just “bad”. Ask yourself, if you grew up in India “knowing” pigs are bad to eat, would you be eating bacon today or be another feathered bird in the flock?

Lastly, I wonder about this; why is it so important that somebody else likes or recommends something before we try it ourselves, or even contemplate trying it ourselves? I haven’t done it in years but in the past I’ve contributed to fish frys that combined sunnies, crappies, white bass, largemouth bass, bullheads, walleye, northern pike, perch, and sheepshead…. all mixed together across 2 to 3 platters (depending on total amount available). All I’ve said is, “There’s a variety of fish here so if you come across something you don’t like, just look for something that appears a little different and you’ll probably be okay.” Again, not that I do this all the time, but I’ve done this before and today, some of the people present at those feeds are the very same people that think sheepshead or bullheads are gross and inedible. I’ve never confessed my trickery because they don’t need to know that I know they’re full of crap…. they ate it! They ate it all and never once complained or threw anything out! But boy, if I suggest getting some sheepies or bullheads and cooking them up, they wrinkle up their noses in disgust and tell me “I can do what I want but I can leave them out of it.” It’s absolutely hilarious! And then, there’s people that know I’ve done this so now they refuse to EVER eat any cooked fish I might show up with, for fear that they’re going to eat something they “know” is gross, even if I show them all the filets are the same and it’s all walleye or all crappies. Shoot…. I can’t help but ask myself, what are they so afraid of? Are they afraid to admit they’re full of bull? Are they afraid of what their friends and peers will think of them? That they’ll become shunned like lepers, ostracized from the community, and made to eat lunch at the deplorables table at work?…. Because, I just can’t believe that anyone would be afraid of possibly liking something! I mean, it’s not a drug that causes addiction, it won’t make you fail a drug screen or jeopardize your job or ability to possesses a drivers license, it won’t remove your right to vote, you don’t have to report it to the IRS, it doesn’t qualify as grounds to be committed or have your head checked, and yeah, I could venture down this lane of silliness all day long, but the very real, underlying question that exists in our lives, and pretty much a daily basis is simply, “What are we so afraid of?”

There’s a reason I do most “game feeds”, from water or land, for mostly myself and maybe a couple others. It’s no longer popular or casually accepted. It’s become a specialized taste that dances on the edge of taboo, teeters on the winds of inexperience, and blazes on the fumes of assumption. I’m “stillakid” at heart, but I’m too old now to give a rip about unpopular opinion or mainstream perception…. unless of course, my mood changes! wink

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Holy balls

CaptainMusky
    Participant

@stillakid2, that is pretty dang funny and really true in many cases. Most things that I have preconceived feelings about I would never trying KNOWING what they are, but if I didn’t know, I might. LOL

My wife’s cousin is about 20 years younger than my wife. She was staying at our house once (about 8 years old or so) and I made pheasant. Knowing that she never had pheasant before because her family didn’t hunt, we just kept calling it “chicken”.

At one point during the meal she asks “why do you keep calling this duck, chicken?” LOL

She clearly knew it wasn’t chicken, but guessed at duck. Smart little bugger. LOL

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Still….with the colder air now we are seeing our usual influx of the black devils and plinking has been pretty good already. Gotta go get more pellets, lol. Want me to bag a few up and freeze them for you on the off chance you get another hankering for creative cooking?

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Can’t be any worse than woodcock!

catmando
    Participant
    wis

Crow’s are pretty dang smart, if it got hit by a car, most likely it was sick, no thanks ! Working on highways for 35 years ,I know road kill,crows and coyote are a pretty rare commodity. DK.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Can’t be any worse than woodcock!

Ok, am I the only one here who really enjoys eating woodcock? Shot my first two this year and fried them both on the stove with butter, salt and pepper. Thought it was damn tasty both times!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Ok, am I the only one here who really enjoys eating woodcock?

Do you also enjoy beef liver?

I thought the “drunsticks” (whatever little meat was on them) were OK, but I couldn’t handle the breast meat. I cooked them the same as you.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

No, not a fan of liver. I only cooked the breast, which I filleted off the carcass within an hour or two of being shot and put on ice (cooked within a day). I definitely hear mixed opinions on woodcock, but I enjoyed it!

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

If you’re offering Tom, I’d be more than happy to take them!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.