Crossbow hunters

• WishIwasWiser

Well, the shoulder injury ain’t healin quickly enough so my doc helped me apply for a disability crossbow permit, which I was granted. This lead to rapid research and the purchase of a crossbow. I’ll admit, it’s a heckofalot of fun to shoot!

Question for the experienced: I am an all day sitter, especially in late October. Do you folks really decock your bows for 30 minutes every four hours?? I can almost guarantee my target buck will casually walk by at 20 yards while I’m unloaded. Either that or see/hear me puttsin around with the bow in my hang-on.

Thoughts? Thanks and good luck this season. Be safe!

haleysgold
    SE MN

Nope.
    I have a Ravin R10 and don’t recall anything that said it needed to be uncocked every 4 hours?
    I leave mine cocked for the day most of the time.

Well wait. If I’m out in the morning and leave, I uncock. I don’t walk with it cocked.

Smoker
    Blaine, Minnesota

Nope, not during the day.

JEREMY
    BP

R10 for me as well. Never heard you need to do that.

buck-slayer

Tenpiont 505 never said anything about doing that when I bought it.

WishIwasWiser

Ravin manual says 8 hours. That makes sense for most hunting situations. Mine is a Barrett entry level bow. I’m gonna leave it cocked until I’m done hunting each day.

buck-slayer

I love shooting my crossbow. I would prefer to use a compound but medical issues wont allow me to any more. I’m more accurate with crossbow than my slug gun. 70 yard groupings at 4″ when I do get a flyer its only off by couple of inches. I shoot 12-15 shots 5 days a week and can’t wait to get out.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Per Ravin after i called them , highly recommended to decock half way through an allday hunt. These bows are living on the ragged edge of performance. Limbs ,strings and cables are the weak denominator of all manufactures . Ravin says no more than 2 years string/cable replaced . If you want it to last you need to follow the protocol. Even then there are plenty of these bows coming apart, new bows with string failures , nock failures , limbs splitting . Crossbow Nation is a good place to visit and get info on the latest . Companies tech is not keeping up with the these fast shooting crossbows. I have been shooting a Darton Terminator that is 340 fps . Slow by today’s standards . The wasted energy after the shot is absorbed by the bow , strings cables and limbs ,cams, axles, wearing out those components.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.