Directions to Bayport St Croix Ice Fishing Access

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

With this warm weather weekend coming up I figured a lot of folks will be heading to Bayport to ice fish the St Croix. One of the common questions asked on the forum is how to access the St Croix at Bayport. I was heading down to Bayport this afternoon so I grabbed my camera and I thought I would shoot a few photos of the access point to help with the written directions. Here goes:

On the south end of Bayport on Highway 95 you will see the entrance to 5th Avenue South on the east side of the road. There is a Bayport sign on a limestone rock and a large sign for Clyde’s. Here is the photo:

Turn east onto 5th Avenue South but don’t enter the marina but instead stay to the left and travel down 5th Avenue South to the T intersection with 3rd Street South. Here is the photo:

You will need to take a right turn on 3rd Street South and cross over the railroad tracks. Note the Dead End sign with the smaller “Road Open to River” sign under it. Here is the photo:

This road will take you to the St Croix River. Be Careful – it is a narrow, well rutted road that gets worse as the weather warms. This is the only road on the MN side of the river that gives drive on access to the river and it gets a lot of traffic. Go slow – watch for traffic and try to give as much room as possible to vehicles towing trailers and fish houses. Be advised – there is No Parking anywhere on the side of this road. If you want to pull off go all the way to the river and then drive out on the ice and pull off. Don’t stop on the road and try to park. Here are some photos of the road to the river:

Once you get on the ice you will see a road heading directly across the river. That is the ice road to Ferry Landing in Hudson which is the St Croix access point from Hudson, Wisconsin. Here is the photo:

You will see another ice road turning to the left and heading north. This is the ice road to ShantyTown and up river to the High Lines across from the Excel Energy Allen S. King Plant. Here is the Photo of ShantyTown:

If you plan on heading north of ShantyTown up to the High Lines you want to stay on the Wisconsin side of the river. Be advised that there is open water directly across from the Excel Energy Plant from their warm water discharge. Stay to the Wisconsin shore on the ice road and you are OK. If you do not pay attention and just start driving north you could find yourself driving right into open water. Be Careful. My advice is to scout during the day and familarize yourself with the area before trying to drive north to the High Lines at night or in the fog during warm weather days.

One other thing for those not familiar with Andersen Bay. This year Andersens Windows has a warm water discharge into the north end of the bay. That has created open water and thin ice in the north end of the bay. I used to fish up in there and so did other people. This year there is thin ice and it is dangerous up in the bay. The ice is precarious from about the Andersen Boat Launch access point all the way up into the north end. Andersen’s also has a bubbler going under their boat dock and this is also keeping the ice thin. Be careful if you go up into the north 1/3 of the bay.

Should be a good weekend for ice fishing and I expect a lot of traffic on the St Croix. Read some of the fishing reports especially those by Turk. My experience is on a very busy day it pays to get away from the crowds. It gets crazy out there with cars, trucks, ATVs, snowmobiles, and even the occasional airplane. Good luck – Be safe.

tyler_holm
    Rochester, MN

AWESOME POST STEVE. Oh so helpful!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Hey Steve no one knows about that shanty town spot now everybody is going to know

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Oops, sorry Jesse. I think I just let the cat out of the bag. Now everybody is going to be fishing there.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

The fish must be biting there

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Hi,
    I’ve never been down to the Croix yet. How do I get there from Eagan?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Hi,
    I’ve never been down to the Croix yet. How do I get there from Eagan?

Here are the mapquest directions from Eagan to Bayport. Once you come into Bayport from the south just follow the directions in this post to get on the river.

1: Start out going NORTH on PILOT KNOB RD/CR-31 N toward DIFFLEY RD/CR-30 E. 1.7 mi Map

2: Merge onto I-35E N. 2.2 mi Map

3: Merge onto I-494 E via EXIT 99A. 12.7 mi

4: Merge onto I-94 E/US-12 E toward MADISON. 9.1 mi

5: Take the MN-95 N exit, EXIT 258, toward STILLWATER. 0.3 mi

6: Turn LEFT onto ST CROIX TRL N/MN-95 N/CR-18 N. Continue to follow MN-95 N. 4.3 mi

7: End at Bayport, MN Map

Estimated Time: 36 minutes Estimated Distance: 30.28 miles

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Fishing was pretty slow today. Fished 42′ of water with 3 nice crappie and over 12 little ones. I really had to work to get the fish to bite today. They would follow the jig all the way up to 20 FOW before they would hit and it was a very lite hit. Good luck to you Brian

zoomer
    Twin Cities

Just wondering how the access is holding up looking to get down there Monday after work.

croixwalleye6

just got off ice at 6:30 acsess was just fine the cloudy wheather helped us out today

zoomer
    Twin Cities

Thanks!
    how was the fishing?

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Bump it back to the top.

Time to start the 2009 / 2010 St Croix ice fishing season. Bayport is reporting 5″ to 6″ of ice. It is a little early for driving out right now but you can access the river by walking on from Bayport’s Lakeside Park. Just drive into town on Highway 95 and turn east towards the river at Pawnee’s Bowling Alley right in the middle of town. This will take you to Lakeside Park and you can walk out from there.

Maybe one of the Administrators could sticky this down for the next couple of months. Thanks.

fireline
    Rochester

I can’t make it this year but hope you will post this again next year . Thanks

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Bump it back to the top today. I drove down to the Hubbs Point Drive access yesterday and it was closed with a sign posted saying “No River Access”. Looks like the river access from the Minnesota shore has been cutoff. I’ve been fishing the St Croix since 1977 and that has always been the winter access point from the Minnesota shore for the Stillwater – Bayport pool. I would sure hate to see us lose this access point. It has been brewing the last couple of years and it looks like it has all come to a head this year. We all may need to call Bayport City Hall and voice our concerns. The Bayport City Hall telephone number is 651-275-4404 and the e-mail address is: [email protected]

Here is the link to their website: http://bayport.govoffice.com/

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I sent an email though I’m sure they dont give a $*^$ about it. I hope somebody with some power over those responsible gets involved. Complainging to those that closed it will do nothing but boost their power hungry, self centered egos.
    These are people with serious mental issues yet they are in charge….

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

These are people with serious mental issues yet they are in charge….

It’s amazing that they get voted in isn’t it

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They get voted in because nobody wants the job.
    What a joke. Kid gets picked on as a child. Kid grows up and joins city council then takes out his revenge on everyone. I dont know that’s the case here but what other kind of person closes an ages old and the last of its kind access to this particular water? It has alwasy been relatively safe. Not many headlines once it freezes. Now it is half gone. Some day the other side will close then its walk on only. End of an era. End of a freedom.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Mike,

I understand the sentiment above! I once decided to join our local town government by volunteering to sit on the Parks board. After a few years, I got put in charge. What could be so bad with parks and rec?

From my experience I will never, ever, again be part of a political leadership group. It is simply mind boggling what people will do to get their way, and those people’s way is usually WAY out of bounds.

You are right though, these people keep getting voted in cause no one else can stand it. You have to literally be crazy to serve in those capacities or have a HUGE support group already behind you.

ET

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

wheres the wisconsin access location since bayport is shut down?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

WI Access

Parking is limited and it’s a long walk to get to any holes. Right now the best place to access would be the park in Bayport

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

sweet, is it safe still to walk across after this weekends warm weather?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

there was 6-8″ out there this weekend. Amazingly it was still making ice, holes were froze over from the night before on Saturday

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Its going to be close. I rather doubt there will be much of an overmargin for driving. I sure hope it thickens up for this event. You need that option out there.

olas88

Super old thread here, but is this still valid. Looking for how everyone gets access around Bayport these days.

3Rivers

Yes it’s still valid and funny that I shared this post on FB and magically a 10 year old thread gets bumped. )

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.