Croix report

• fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has been out the last coupel of days on the croix. I am curious if the fish have moved back to the deeper structure with the water levels going back down. I havn’t been eye fishing much the last couple of weeks while I am in search of the wolf of the waters the muskie. So lets hear how everyone has been doing.

BigBass
    Hudson & Chetek, WI

I’ve been out but not successful… I don’t get it. I can catch a fair amount of walleyes, depending on weather, pretty consistantly.

But, I can’t catch Smallies at all??? I am at a very frustraiting loss…. If I spend an afternoon fishing smallies I can pull maybe two? In the spring I was happy with my catches but I can’t find them at all now?

Sorry, just a little venting.

BB~

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

My smallie action has been relegated to some very defined spots, and not scattered much like earlier. I have been hit and running, only to return later and do it again. Plastics are still working well, as is leeches/crawlers and a split shot.
    Tuck

eleclady

Hi Fishhunter,

I was out last night trolling plugs by catfish point, and there was nothing happening (except for too much boat traffic!) A month ago , I was doing the same & to my surprise caught a really nice channel cat (about 35#’s). Once a week since then, I have been going out trying to repeat that, but fishing has been for me anyway, pretty slow going.

I discovered this forum just yesterday, so am exicted to see what other anglers have to say about fishing the St. Croix, especially the lower St. Croix.

eleclady

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I was out friday nite and saturday morning. Caught plenty of fish but nothing of any size. Walleyes hanging in the same old spots but the size has dropped of a bit. Out of the 15 eyes we caught only to were legals. It has been running 30% to 50% for about a month now. Looks like the summer pattern is setting in.
    The smallies have really taken off in the past few weeks. We pulled eight out from in front of a channel in about a hour. Most where from 10″ to 15″. I havent found any bigger than that yet this year. They school in there early in the morning and chase minnows. The first time i spotted them i thought they where whitties the way they where hitting the surface.
    I tried the cats a little bit friday night with no luck. I cant believe i cant find any on this strech of river. Might try again this weekend. I dont get discouraged that easy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.