Smallies

• PrescottRob
    Minnesota, Ramsey, St.Paul

hello anglers. i don’t know if it is the high water level but the smally fishing has been rediculously slow. talking like 2 or 3 an outing. i’ve been fish the min. and wis. riprap and points. using spinnerbaits, spinners, husky jerks, tube jigs, rapalas, crayfish, fat raps, rattle traps, and nothing really producing. are they out deeper cause of the hot weather or am i doing something wrong? and tid bits would be greatly apprecitaed. thanks!
    Rob

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I just posted a new report for the lower Croix and pool 3. I have found the action slowing down as well. I have had luck again with 1/16 oz. jigs and Mepps Exude Mites and Berkley Power minnows in Chartruese/metal fleck. Pitching them tight to the rocks. There is a lot more water up in the rocks, just let it slowly fall, and watch for any twitch in the line. They are there. A buddy of mine caught and released a 21 incher last Friday up by the Kinny. I have pictures coming this week…
    Tuck

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The smallies have started to show up a little more north of Osceola in my last couple trips. Found them in a little channel up here last weekend. Caught 4 in about a half hour. I havent caught any big ones yet but the ones i did catch sure put on a show on the way into the boat.
    How big is a 21″ smallie? I can catch a few 18s up here every year and one or two 19s but i dont think i have ever seen one over 20.
    Crawlers was the trick for them last weekend. I picked up the smallies while chasing the walleyes around. I think i ended up with seven eyes and seven smallies and a mixe3d bag of other fish. that is a given when fishing with crawlers in the river. I even caught a perch last weekend. First one i have ever caught up here.
    Heres a good story. I sold my old boat to a freind I have taken out a few times. Last thing i told him was if you dont want to loose it dont throw it in the river. His first trip on the river was out of fronconia on sunday. He came home upset because he had to leave his brand new anchor and rope up at rock island. I hope he doesnt give up on the river that easy but he sure wasnt to happy with his first trip out alone.

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

This is Tuck, I am on the Dman’s computer, the 21″ I took of Jim Peter’s fish came off a crawler and a split shot. Looks like I may have to go back to live bait for a while!
    Tuck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.