Croix report

• RipnLips1
    Participant
    Roberts,Wi

Got out on the St. Croix for the first time in a while…fished with my son who is up here for two months. Started around 4pm, on some sand pts only to find a handful of small mouth. Worked out to mid-lk humps in 18-19 ft of water, dragging crawlers and jumbo leaches. Leaches by far better. Seen other boats with crawlers and spinner…they boated fish with no size. Ended up with 9 legals, 16-19 inches and caught over 30 eyes and two sauger. All’n’all-a great day to be out spending some time with my son–not the big tourny pressure. Will be out again tomorrow. See ya on the water!

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

I’ve been seeing more fish picked up on leeches. The baitshops have finally got some bigger ones in. Any size to the smallies?

rivereyes
    Participant
    Osceola, Wisconsin

my report from fishing the croix on thursday was anything but good… so as an example of what not to do… I was pulling crawlers on 3-ways in 15-24′ of water on a sharp breaking sandpoint…. probably only caught 5 short fish…..

RipnLips1
    Participant
    Roberts,Wi

Saturday Report-Fished from 7-10 on the Criox and ended up with 3 legal eyes 1(16)2(20)and 6 sauger and threw back about 15 shorts.Came out with 5 doz.carwlers and was out by 9am,my buddy Jon J saved the day.The bite came to halt at 9am for the eyes only sheppies after that.Trailered up and was on Pepin at 3pm,fished the Warron town area 8 to 10 ft pulling clown #7 and put 4 eyes in the boat from 18-22 inches.2.8-3.1 or all we would get was sheepies and to finish the day off I hooked into a 40-44 in pike that i let my sister try to boat and she said she coulded get it to come in so she handed the rod to me,(I dont want to loose it she says)so I got the fish to the back of the boat and and her better half (rookie)stabbed at it with the net and you know the rest.the net came up with a #7 and no fish.LOL!!!!!!!See you on the water.

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

fished with croixboy the afternoon of 6/16 and between dodging a storm and rescuing a lost dog we did o.k.
    croixboy nailed a nice sauger and we caught a few short walleyes and smallies. good action, just not much size.
    thanks for the tips on trolling croixboy! hope we can do it again soon.

croixboy
    Participant
    Plymouth

We’ll get out again. I think we would have done better if we didn’t spend so much time saving ‘chino’ from becoming a drowning victim and finding his owners. I hope they get some tags on his collar and keep track of him in the future. I’m glad he found his owners. Thanks for taking him to animal control. Good ending. What a great dog however. So well behaved. I went home and looked at my dog and said “what’s your problem?”

Anyway, We’ll hook up soon. We can do much better.

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

that pooch was a long ways from home according to the animal control person. lives on the other side of Hwy V which runs from Hudson to Somerset. having done our good deed, the walleye gods will most certainly have to smile upon us and grant us a couple of 27″er’s to catch, photo and release.

Rob, anytime you have an open seat let me know.

rivereyes
    Participant
    Osceola, Wisconsin

just experimenting a bit here…. but heres a pic I took of my Honey on opening day with a 20″ croix eye she picked up just in front of the Osceola launch…….

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

She’s a keeper rivereyes !!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.