I fought the bait and the bait won…..

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I was sitting here on FTR late friday night when Jon J PMed me and asked me if I would like to share a boat with him and “chopper” Saturday….. well.. Id been chomping to get out after some croix eyes for a while so I quickly agreed….. I met Jon J at the “Bluffs” county park at 6 am… and shortly we were roaring across the water in his red metal flake Yar craft.. which is a darn sweet ride!…. we tried the Kinni pulling cranks and tail hooked a channel kitty… but that was it… so we were off to a bite Jon had been tuned into… a sand point on the Wisconsin side… not far from a really big bridge going across the river.. (OK…. it was near Hudson!.. you guys just keep twisting my arm! *ouch*)…….
    the bite was on crawlers pulled slow along the bottom nothing fancy… In fact… I just wasnt satisfied… so I started out with Ringworms.. to try out my new custom made St Croix Legend rod….. well… to make what could become a long story fairly short… those fish wanted nothing to do with what I was doing.. no matter what color or action… but they sure like the bait Jon was pulling… so he smoked me pretty good.. we ended up with a few decent fish and the usual medley of short fish… oh yeah… and the sheep of the deep were found in abundance any time you strayed into certain areas….. from other anglers we heard that the bite had been better just the day before… but we were not complaining… for one thing the foggy drizzly conditions held the “pleasure” boats off the water for a couple hours longer than normal!….
    anyway from first hand experience I can say pulling crawlers on light 3 ways in 15-20′ of water of from (at least one!) sand point(s) can put some fish in the boat… and as a tip… if your partner is nailing them on bait dont be stuborn like me… switch to whats working!! my rump is still sore from the kicking… (or is it from hitting wakes at 50 mph? lol…. naaaa just kidding.. we grabbed no air on the way back….)….
    one thing that was kind of kewl was watching the fish jump from the wake trail as we roared along at that speed… one small sturgeon must have went airborn for at least 20 feet!!… most other species only made it about 2-3’…..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.