Prescott Opener

• bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

With the post spawn in full swing on Pool 4, I was thinking about heading to the Presott area this weekend to pick off a bunch of those hungry male walleyes that stack up by the dock areas. Has anybody been getting walleyes in this area yet? I think this is considered border waters?? How about some of you guides out there, when does this area tend to pick up? I’m not sure I’ve ever fished it this early, I thought it was more toward early June. Maybe that’s why I should be keeping that journal. Like I said, the bite on Pool 4 is pretty difficult right now and usually that boat dock area tends to be a spot where a lot of post spawn fish pile up.

Thanks for any feedback!

Good Fishing!

MONGO
    Spring Valley, Wi.

Prescott area was not very good for me last wekend. Friday tried plastics shallow and deep and everywhere in between came up with the the big goose egg (0). On sat. a buddy and I fished the dock area hard with jig/minnow caught nothing. Fished the wing dams down river from there, caught nothing. Tried three waying, long lining, casting cranks throughout the area, caught nothing. We did catch a severe case of wind burn on saturday though. I dont know if the new boat has bad ju – ju or what the deal was. But both days only seen three small saugers caught, in front of the dock area.

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Sounds like a tough weekend. Keep your head high, the warmer weather this week will help to pull those fish out of the post spawn funk. It should get better and better over the next couple of weeks. If I hit this area this weekend, I’ll let you know how I did.

Thanks for the reply!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I saw the Griz down there last Friday and he and his customer were consistently catching fish. Maybe one every15-20 minutes? I didn’t get anything so it was driving me crazy!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yeah the Griz will do that to ya for sure……. but if he is down there it must be one of the better legal bites going……

though when the rest of the croix opens up your more likely to see him out of beanies or sometimes franconia…..

bill mitchell

was down on sun. the 29th and did real well. We only fished for three hours and we turned six saugers, two eyes, lots of nice silvers, and one large carp. All came on 1/8 to 1/4 oz. jigs tipped with a minnow and a mister twister tail. The fish were scattered along the main channel break between the wingies south of prescott.

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Thanks for all of the replies. Bill, hearing that leads me to believe it shouldn’t be long before a lot of walleyes/saugers will be stacked in the dock area. Has anybody ever tried the backside of the island at the Kinney for crappies? I know that bay is pretty shallow and there is oftentimes a lot of flooded timber. I’ve creamed the smallies there later in the summer. Bill, what depth were you seeing most of the fish at? Were they right on the main channel break? Did you try any of the wingies at all? Again, thanks for all of the replies. I will try and put a post in on Saturday evening for all of you headed out on Sunday.

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Thanks for the info Bill. My buddies and I hit the Prescott area on Saturday morning and we located the fish exactly where you said. We tried the boat dock area first, but things were very slow. We proceeded to fish downriver after that. Almost all of our bites came in 14-17′ on the channel edge and the closer to the wing dams, the better. We were fishing jigs, but a STIFF crosswind made it difficult to stay in the zone for long. We didn’t slam the fish by any means, but it seemed to be more action than a lot of people were doing. Now that I’m home I really wish I would have pulled some three ways with some live bait rigs. I didn’t have enough time to be changing things around, but if we would have I think we would have done real well. Oh well, maybe next time! How did everyone else do?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.