Anchor systems suggestions?

• steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

Just picked my new boat today. I need some help on getting an anchoring system on it. 1750 Fishawk with a 90 Merc.

Electric winch? Hand winch? Weights?

Thanks

rivereyes
    Participant
    Osceola, Wisconsin

tie a rope on your walleye box and toss it over… should be plenty heavy enough!!… j/k….

congrats on the new boat……. Im getting a boat too… picking up Turks old guide boat…. guess lots of new boats on the croix this year!……..

guess if I was going to put an anchor on mine and I did much anchoring I would probably go with an electric…. or at least a crank… I really hate the old hand over hand… particularly in cold weather…..

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

eyes’,

good to hear from you! How did you hear about my Guide Series super bag? Holy Cow, that thing is big! Did you get the boat Turk had before he bought the Whaler?

I fished out of that a couple of times. Nice rig. Alumacraft with a 40 Johnson?

jenn
    Participant
    Northeast Wisconsin

Hi…

Had a MinnKota electric anchor winch on a boat a few years ago….worked well; but I felt I didn’t have the power I wanted with it, and had a few problems with it. But, that was a few years ago, I guess they may have changed. I also used that thing a TON that year…..But, if I was going to buy another, I’d buy the one I bought after that one….and that was a Power Winch…. powerful, reliable, worked great. Never had a hand one….and currently just do the hand over hand thing, felt I didn’t need an electric one anymore.

Anchor choice…. I use a Richter anchor. Prior to that, I used to lose anchors on the river….getting them so stuck in some places they wouldn’ t budge out no matter what…. switched to the Richter Anchor and never lost one (except the one I threw overboard by accident…oops…). They are a bit more costly; but they are worth it in the long run. They have a website with a picture of their anchor on it…and perhaps by seeing it you’ll see why it’s effective. There is a metal bar that is along the side of it. The rope is attached to a loop on this bar, so that when getting stuck, the loop slides along the bar, loosening the anchor from the bottom/ substrate. For the past three years, it’s the only anchor I’ve chosen to use.

Good luck, and congrats on the new boat!

Jenn

rivereyes
    Participant
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yep… I bought the one he calls Old Man Gruman….. looks like a good fishin rig……. I did not know till the Kid told me last night that Turk had a Whaler… thought the Gruman was his only boat… anyway… Im looking forward to getting proficient with it… maybe we will have to have a “swarm” out on the croix one of these days…. we can “corner” them…. what do you think? yeah… well drive the walleyes into the shallows just like a school of white bass on shad!!! thats the ticket!!

anyway.. its a Gruman with a 50 johnson on it…. should be just about MY speed… Im toooooo old to go tooooo fast…. lol

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

thanks jenn.

I will check out that website for the Richter anchor. I’ll be fishing the ‘Croix primarily. sounds perfect.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Ditto on the Richtor Anchor . I just bought one for mt 1675 Explorer SS and it works Great !!

ec

Anonymous

Ditto as well on the richter. I had one last year until my brother in law pitched it over the side of the boat and forgot to tie it on! But for the couple months that I owned it, it was by far the best anchor Ive ever used. You will pay a little more but if you get the system complete with the chain, it will hold you in the strongest of currents.

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

o.k. decided on the Richter.

what weight would youse guys suggest?

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

o.k I bought the 18 lb.version. I didn’t get the chain. Can you get a chain and then tie the rope to that? How long should the chain link be?

Anonymous

Did you order it from Richter directly and did you get the nice braided rope they sell? Their is a connector that goes from the rope to the chain and it has a screw on clamp like thing. Im not sure if you can just get that piece and the chain and put it on. You should call richter on that one. I think the chain is a good investment as it saves the rope from wear and tear. I had the 18lber and it held great in most situations and I had the same boat you have now. I will be getting the 25 lber this year because of a bigger boat and I like to hold on wing dams in strong current. But you should be really pleased with that anchor its awesome. Id really recommend the chain at some point if you can make that happen.

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

I gat it from Cabelas because I had a gift cert. I’ll go on Ricter’s website to pick up the other stuff. I was hoping the 18 lb was big enough.

thanks and I’ll pick up the add’l items form Richter. always nice to support a Wisconsin business

Anonymous

The 18lb will hold that boat just fine. The only times I ever got dislodged was when fishing out on the end of dams and party cruisers coming by non stop would rock me enough where the boat might slide a foot. But thats about it.

You can get more info here: http://www.richteranchors.com

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

I’ll use the website.

thanks for the link.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.