Crestliner Sport Angler vs Fish Hawk

• Regularpaul

Hi everyone,

Transoms seem to be a hot topic lately on the forums. I’m taking my boat (’98 1750 Fish Hawk) to the shop tomorrow to get mine done. Ugh.

It’s made me look around Craigslist at what’s available for sale. Kicking around the idea of upgrading once this is done.

Saw an ’08 1750 Sport Angler on CL tonight. I am having trouble finding much info, opinion or fact, about them.

Anyone running one?

I like the full windshield idea for my kids’ sake but would it be a good tradeoff losing a few inches of length and more important, beam? It’s a bit narrower and shorter boat. I really like my fish hawk and its stability and fishability. I would buy another one but would also entertain the idea of something different if I didn’t feel like I’d be compromising.

Thoughts, comments?! Hey, at least it wasn’t another crestliner vs lund post! waytogo

Appreciate any feedback you guys have. Thanks!

Ryan P
    Farmington

Having just had my transom replaced I did some looking around too. Personally, I came to this conclusion. Unless I was buying a brand new boat I saw no reason to upgrade. Who knows what kinda other problems I was going to inherit. Personally, space to me is far more important than a windshield for the kids. I can slow down if they get cold but I can’t make my boat bigger. In fact I actually kicked around the idea of opening up my SC and making it a tiller boat. That’s just my opinion.

Regularpaul

I’m starting to have that exact same feeling.

After picking up my boat yesterday and writing a check for $3k I feel like even if I redeck the boat myself (it’s getting soft in places) or have someone do it for $2500 at least I know what I’m getting with my boat and not buying a surprise from someone else.

The thought of buying a used boat and having to put a transom into that one two years down the road is enough to wake me in a cold sweat at night.

Thanks Ryan, you mighta helped me make my decision!

marvins
    Kansas

What’s up with the transoms? I have a 99 1750 fish hawk I bought new.

Regularpaul

Mine rotted and had to have it replaced. Apparently it’s unfortunately not as uncommon as it should be but when I pulled my boat last fall I saw the transom flexing which I knew it shouldn’t. There’s a lot of tell-tale signs and tons of info online about what to look for. Apparently some big name brands had some bad runs of plywood for a couple years and the problem doesn’t seem to discriminate based on how much you paid for your boat.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I bought a 2004 that was rotted by 2014. Sold it before I had the pleasure of fixing it.

Regularpaul

Did you take a resale hit with the rotting transom?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Did you take a resale hit with the rotting transom?

Of course. But the value is quite negotiable. Some see it as a deal breaker but those that know how to fix it don’t see it as much of a problem.

marvins
    Kansas

Went out to inspect mine with light and inspection mirror with rigging hole cover pulled. It looked like new with no water stains as far as could be seen. Wave Wackers may have helped but I am gonna seal the top cap just in case.

Regularpaul

That’s good. good idea to seal that top cap too. paint chipping on the through bolts on the transom along with the appearance of the bolt squeezing the aluminum, which is actually the wood swelling out around the bolt, loose rivets, cracked welds, top cap screws that come out easily, flexing (obviously) are all some tell-tale signs.

In another place and time I may have done the work myself. I grew up on a farm and have the space and hoist equipment I’d need but with two little boys at home and a jam-packed schedule I decided my time was more valuable than my money…plan around 2,500-3,000 to get it replaced by a professional. It hurts in the wallet but it was also peace of mind.

We kinda hijacked this thread with transom talk, so just to refresh the original topic, anyone know anything about Crestliner Sport Anglers?!

DonG

Went with a friend to look at all the new models. I really like the boats but find one big problem, storage. There’s no storage in them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.