Crestliner 1650 Fish Hawk (First Time Boat Buyer)

• John Ward
    Participant

Looking at the 1650 Fish Hawk, but I have some questions. Quite a few questions, really, and I’m sure I’ll come up with more.

Also have come to realize that I’m too ignorant to know what all to ask, so feel free to clue me in.

I’m pretty large guy. 6’7″ and 375. Will I be comfortable operating a side console. Have used a couple of older narrow lunds with side console and wouldn’t care to use them all the time.

Money is an issue and I would like to save some with a smaller (maybe 60hp) motor. Every dealer pushes the 90 and says I’ll be back to trade power in a year if I go with less. I actually think that the specs and speed/efficiency charts on the 60 look great.
    But…
    A cousin who is a life-long boat guy asked about my grandkids. Will the 60 do well in 4 or 5 years when they wanna do more than ride in the boat and ask Grampa to pull a tube?

Salt water???
    I have been spending several weeks most recent winters on the gulf shore. I live framed by the Mississipi, Wisconsin, and Rock Rivers. Will a boat set up for fresh water do well fishing in-shore saltwater bays and passes?

I have a small circle of friends who are boating sportsmen. They are all of different opinions on what they prefer. Is there something I should look at besides the 1650 Fish Hawk? I fear to ask this, but there it is.

Deuces
    Participant

I’m familiar with that boat, do not get the 60. You’re a big dude to begin with, add in all the other boat stuff that boat would be ridiculously underpowered.

I’m certainly in the camp bigger is not always better, but the dealer is absolutely correct.

bigpike
    Participant

My 1650 fishhawk came new with a 70. It now has a 4 stroke 90 merc on it. 18 years later I wouldn’t change a thing. Go big or go home.

fishthumper
    Participant
    Sartell, MN.

I’m a big fan of the Crestline Fish hawk boats – I own a 1850 Fish Hawk and my next boat is probably going to be another fish hawk. That said I would say get as close to the max HP as possible. Will it work with a 60 – Yes. Will you be happy with it – probably not. I think you are on track with the boat but I’d strongly re-think the motor option if at all possible.

steveo
    Participant
    W Central Sconnie

I’ve had my 1750 for almost 20 years. had a gas gauge and a bilge pump go out on me is all. have done the regular maintenance every year. has a 90 horse Merc on it and it has served me well. a 115 would have been nice but it would have been alot more expensive. I would go for the ninety for sure

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

“I wish I had less power” said no one, ever. Put the max HP outboard on it and an adequate bow mount and you’ll be grateful you did.

Hodag Hunter
    Participant
    Northern Wisconsin

I have been told Get the biggest HP motor the boat is rated for.

tswoboda
    Participant

Get the 90 HP.

My dad bought a 1650 FH new in 2002 (9″ shorter and 200 lb lighter than current) and put a small block 60 HP 4stroke on it. That boat pulled me and friends on skis and a tube when I was in middle and high school. I drank a lot of lake water trying to get up on slalom… It just couldn’t do it and would drag me until I let go. He still has the boat and it’s a low 30 mph boat with 2-3 guys and gear. Gets up on plane but is slower to do that with 5 people.

The 60 is “fine” – definitely not ideal. He’s owned the boat for 18 years and talked about repowering to a 90 for the last 15 years.

Get the 90.

happycampin
    Participant
    New Richmond, WI

90 all the way…

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I have been spending several weeks most recent winters on the gulf shore. I live framed by the Mississipi, Wisconsin, and Rock Rivers. Will a boat set up for fresh water do well fishing in-shore saltwater bays and passes?

The boat itself would be fine in saltwater. The problem is that most midwest walleye boats are filled with pot metal fasteners, screws, hinges, etc because it is cheaper than using stainless steel. Guess what will start to rust the day you get within 20 miles of saltwater?

Also, saltwater is absolutely merciless on painted steel trailers. You’ll have rust and paint peeling off the trailer in places you didn’t know the trailer even had if you use it in saltwater. Also, salt is hell on the running gear and lights as well.

Where do you do the majority of your fishing? Might be better to consider a more saltwater capable boat because freshwater sure won’t hurt it, but the other way around isn’t great.

Grouse

rswan
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

I would do the 90, but if the 60 is the only way you can seal the deal the 60 will do. I ran a 40 hp on a 16′ boat for 17 years and had lots of fun and caught many fish!! Good luck. Feel free to fire off any rigging questions here. There is a lot of knowledge here, but it may be a little polarized!!

mxskeeter
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

I would recommend the 90. An under powered boat just sucks. Also if you are not happy it will cost more in the long run to repower than putting the 90 on right away.

Pat K
    Participant
    Empire, MN

I’m 6’4 and have weighed in the 300lb range at times. I had an Alumacraft Competitor 165 CS with a 75hp motor on it. I would have kept the boat for a longer time if I would have put a 90hp on it. The boat was a great fishing platform for smaller water but really lacked power with 2 people and gear. Definitely had to choose between hole shot or top end for prop selection.
    But sometimes the budget dictates what you get.

Brewer
    Participant

Make sure you get a chance to test drive the boat. I ran a 1650 Fish Hawk with a 90 for about 5 years. There was a lot to love about the boat, especially the amount of storage/layout and price (in 2013). The three downsides were 1. It was a really wet ride (applicable to all aluminum boats at this size) 2. It didn’t track very well when trolling (also applicable to most aluminum boats this size) and 3. I thought the boat was much less stable than it should be for the size. I weigh under 200 pounds and if I was in the boat by myself there was a noticeable lean to whichever side I was on. I have run two older Alumacrafts (1990 and 2002) of about the same size and didn’t notice this nearly as much in those boats. Not saying it should be a deal killer because I really enjoyed my Fish Hawk, but something to consider.

Thomas Smith
    Participant

I owned a crestliner canadian 1650 for several years that came with a Mercury 60hp four stroke. 60hp was the minimum rated and max was 115hp. For a guy your size, and if you’re going to have more than a second person in the boat and any significant amount of gear, I’d say 90hp for sure. The entire time I owned it, I constantly wished I would’ve upgraded to a 90hp before I ever took it off the lot. And sure, max hp would be great and all, but do yourself a favor and hold off until the 90hp is within your budget. I just bought a crestliner commander 2050 and opted for a 150hp Mercury four stroke. Minimum is 115hp and max is 200hp. It performs great for my needs. Saving a little on the minimum hp outboard wasn’t even a thought for me. Been there and done that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.