Crappie Tips

• Tyeye
    Participant

Hey guys, heading up to the Detroit Lakes area a week from today to target some slabs (other panfish mixed in would be ok too). Never fished this area before, hoping anybody could give me advice on types of lake/structure/depth to try. I fish crappies on the St. Croix quite a bit but im a green horn when it comes to lakes. Any advice would be great, it will be my wifes only time out this year so we’d love to catch a few.

Thanks in advance!

Joe Scegura
    Participant
    Alexandria MN

If it’s crappies your after I’d recommend evening/night fishing with your wife. Day time crappie can be easy but in general the more you move the better you will do (hard work). Also at night you can just sit amongst the other crappie houses and all catch fish. During the day the crappie will be schooled up and you will have to work to find them as they generally move daily. You will also need a snowmobile to get around off the beaten path.

I’d recommend picking a spot in a community crappie hole, there’s generally nice plowed roads to most of them. You should be able to catch sunfish and bass all day. Then stay an hour or so after dark and hope the crappie come through. Good luck.

Tyeye
    Participant

Thanks Joe, sounds easy enough! I usually prefer getting off the beaten path, but with the recent snowfalls I imagine that would be difficult. I know green weeds is always good, but do what is a good depth to start at this time of year?

basseyes
    Participant

Basins.

Joe was spot on with the advice.

leinieman
    Participant
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

There is a ton of snow up here in Detroit Lakes area. If you have a snowmobile I would bring it. Not sure where you are staying but if send pm I will reply with my phone number. I am up here right now for a week an it is tough. We don’t have snow machines. You can drive out on some lakes but getting off the plowed roads is near impossible unless you like shoveling. I’m heading to Ottertail tomorrow to check it out.

Tyeye
    Participant

Thanks guys! Ill post on how we do next week

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.