Crane Lake, Mn destination?

• Jason

I’m trying to plan a family trip and am looking for info in regards to lodging/boating out of Crane lake. I have been there many times in the winter but never in the summer. Is it fairly easy to run up thru Ash river and into Kabetogama or should we stay further northwest so we can have better fishing or an easier day trip up to Rainy Lake?
    Kids would like to catch some easy fish as well…
    Any info would be appreciated.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’m kinda confused on your question..? Crane is about 30 miles by boat to get to the Ash River where is comes out into east end of Kab. I’d suggest finding lodging on the lake you wish to fish. What time of year are you planning on going?

Erik Swenson

Crane is a good family friendly destination. There are a few resorts on the lake, but I’ve only stayed at Pine Point. Do recommend if you end up there. There are lifetimes of water to explore and you could navigate all the way to Rainy.
    It’s a good 40 miles up there from Crane though. So not the best base camp location if that’s on your agenda.

Jason

I’m kinda confused on your question..? What time of year are you planning on going?

I’m thinking late July or sometime in August this year yet. I have fished Kab some before but never been on Rainy or up the Ash river via boat. Trying to appeal to the wife with a combination of a site seeing/fishing trip for the kids since my wife doesn’t fish. If it was purely a fishing trip she would choose to stay home…

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Going up the Ash River is nice little boat ride. You’ll be limited to how far you can go by the Ash River Falls. But, they are neat to see.

As far as going to Rainy, you can go up to the Tilton Hilton (Kettle Falls) & they will portage you & your boat to the Rainy side of the dam. From there the options are endless for fishing opportunities & site seeing.

Kab offers plenty too! Fishing the rocks for bass or flats for sauger & walleye and seeing the Rock Garden are just a few things.

We’ll be up on Namakan 18th-25th this month. Can’t wait!!

munchy
    NULL

Crane is a long ways from the places you’re mentioning. If you’re wanting Kabetogama and to maybe explore Namakan I’d recommend checking out the resorts on the Ash River Trail. More centralized and if you’re looking for easy fish for the kids you don’t have to go far for Sullivan Bay which has a bit of everything.

You’re first time up the lakes will seem very daunting. Be aware that there are submerged rocks that will pop out of nowhere, many unmarked if you’re off the main channel. You can be cruising along in 100feet and suddenly find a rock before you even realize its coming up. Know your route beforehand, and don’t be afraid to take it slow.

Jason

Alright – everyone has made good points and since I don’t feel like dealing with crazy long boat rides I will keep my mind open to other ideas.
    What resorts would you recommend on Namakan or on the Ash River?
    Also how about the Elephant or Pelican Lake areas near Orr – Anyone have good experiences on those lakes??

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Check the threads in the Kabetogama section. I posted the resorts with phone numbers that are on the Ash River Trail. I’m to lazy to look for them myself but you can find them.

There are no resorts on Namakan.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.