Cracked console issue with Alumacraft boats

• Jacob Jacobs

Cracked console issue with Alumacraft boats. Appears to be a common issue found online via help forums. If you can get in touch with Alumacraft, good luck. If you do get in touch with them regarding this issue, you will be told “the damage is not considered a defect in manufacturing and therefore is not eligible for warranty consideration.”

Also be sure to note the last sentence on their FB profile “The quality we put into our boats builds trust that lasts forever.”

Nope, nope and nope. Anybody wanna buy a boat?

Attachments:
    1. 20210512_092321-1-scaled.jpg

2. 20210512_092305-1-scaled.jpg

3. 20210512_092206-1-scaled.jpg

4. 20210512_092151-1-scaled.jpg

5. 20210512_092139-1-scaled.jpg

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Anybody wanna buy a boat?

What year & model, what OB? I might be willing to take a chance on it.

HRG

Erik Swenson

I think your beef should be with Taylor Made on that not the hull mfg maybe? Alumacraft should back their suppliers’ products up yes, but they have other fires to extinguish until further notice most likely. Try it and see if you get a more concerned response (unless of course I’m wrong on the brand of console). Hope that helps because I’d be pissed too…and will be watching mine.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

This is a common problem with the Lunds and Alumacrafts on their dash’s….has been for a very long time. All the mfg’s I know warranty these parts for a year because they have no idea how people are using their boats. I had a side panel crack on my Ranger but the boat takes a pounding on big water a few times a year. My buddy has issues on the dash on his Skeeter.

Not saying it makes the situation right or fair….that’s a pretty new boat for the issues. However, I don’t think you are going to get a response that is satisfactory.

Jacob Jacobs

This is a common problem with the Lunds and Alumacrafts on their dash’s….has been for a very long time. All the mfg’s I know warranty these parts for a year because they have no idea how people are using their boats. I had a side panel crack on my Ranger but the boat takes a pounding on big water a few times a year. My buddy has issues on the dash on his Skeeter.

Not saying it makes the situation right or fair….that’s a pretty new boat for the issues. However, I don’t think you are going to get a response that is satisfactory.

Thanks, I appreciate that input.

Jacob Jacobs

Thanks for the input.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hot Runr Guy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jacob Jacobs wrote:</div>

HRG

2018 Competitor 165CS. 50hp Suzuki.

Thanks, I thought it was newer based on trying to get the console covered under warranty, which I believe is only for 1 year. Surprised that a dealer put a 50 on that hull, too.

HRG

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hot Runr Guy wrote:</div>

HRG

2018 Competitor 165CS. 50hp Suzuki.

Thanks, I thought it was newer based on trying to get the console covered under warranty, which I believe is only for 1 year. Surprised that a dealer put a 50 on that hull, too.

HRG

Testing for Jon. HRG

Admins Note: This test post was also set to pending and required admin to manually publish it so it would appear.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

3 YEAR warranty on console.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

We can put a robot on Mars but we can not manufacture a boat dash that does not crack. WTF people? These boat people need to get up with 2000’s technology.

Jacob Jacobs

We can put a robot on Mars but we can not manufacture a boat dash that does not crack. WTF people? These boat people need to get up with 2000’s technology.

Right on! Good thing Alumacraft isn’t in the airplane manufacturing business.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

yup. happened on my 2016 competitor. they told me that “this year they switched to a different material and it wasn’t thick enough”. they replaced it under warranty. The next year it happened again. they replaced it again but this time didn’t throw in the BS excuse. instead they told me “this is the last time it will be fixed for free”.

its been 2 years now and the current one hasn’t shown signs of cracking yet but i imagine its only a matter of time.

these boats costs as much or more as our trucks and cars do these days. quality should be better than this

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

while we are on the subject, and considering i will not be paying anything out of pocket for when this happens again, anyone have any home remedy cures they can offer for this problem?

Dare is say superglue? that might look terrible but im all about functionality. Is there a product out there that would hold these cracked consoles together and not look like crap?

Jacob Jacobs

Alumacraft: “the damage is not considered a defect in manufacturing and therefore is not eligible for warranty consideration.”

Me: “If Alumacraft does not consider this damage a materials defect, what exactly does it consider the damage to be from?”

Alumacraft: “”Unfortunately I do not work in Warranty and cannot speak technically to your first question.”

WTH

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Cracked console issue with Alumacraft boats. Appears to be a common issue found online via help forums. If you can get in touch with Alumacraft, good luck. If you do get in touch with them regarding this issue, you will be told “the damage is not considered a defect in manufacturing and therefore is not eligible for warranty consideration.”

Also be sure to note the last sentence on their FB profile “The quality we put into our boats builds trust that lasts forever.”

Nope, nope and nope. Anybody wanna buy a boat?

I feel your paint. I have a 2017 Alumacraft Edge and mine starting cracking also. Alumacraft said they won’t cover it under warranty and obviously it’s not a cheap fix. Could they at least cover the part and maybe I would be willing to cover the labor???!!! I said I will never be buying an Alumacraft again. Pretty frustrated and if anyone has a “cheap fix” please let me know.

uninc4709

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigcrappie wrote:</div>

Right on! Good thing Alumacraft isn’t in the airplane manufacturing business.

Well technically they are in the aerospace industry… Along with just about every other powersport industry out there.

bfishn

Have the boats that are cracking been left out in the elements uncovered, or is this also happening on boats that are always covered/garaged when not fishing?

Jacob Jacobs

Have the boats that are cracking been left out in the elements uncovered, or is this also happening on boats that are always covered/garaged when not fishing?

Mine was pretty mint when I bought it. Last fall I had it winterized, oil changed, wrapped and stored. Cracks didn’t exist when I launched it this spring and it sits on a lift with a full custom cover on.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i keep mine under a canvas craft custom cover whenever its not on the water. in the winter its shrink wrapped and stored outside.

Im no expert in boat maintenance but its nothing that i don’t see a 1000 other guys doing as well without issues

onestout
    Hudson, WI

maybe you could do this to it so you don’t see the cracks? Alumacraft is owned by BRP, maybe they are putting the Etec strategy to it.

Attachments:
    1. fuzzy-dash.png

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

while we are on the subject, and considering i will not be paying anything out of pocket for when this happens again, anyone have any home remedy cures they can offer for this problem?

Dare is say superglue? that might look terrible but im all about functionality. Is there a product out there that would hold these cracked consoles together and not look like crap?

I never found anything on my Lund that worked…..best option was I riveted a small piece of steel on the inside to keep the crack from flexing more. I only did this on a couple large ones over the glove box.

I think any type of glue will just crack. There is alot of flex in aluminum boats. If you can cover the spots I’d drill a small hole at the end of the crack and then cover it…..the small hole might stop the crack there.

To the other posters….keeping them outside in the cold hardens the plastic on the dashes and makes it brittle. Mine didn’t start until I owned it and it was stored outside (covered) year round. Previous owner had it in a heated garage. The plastic gets brittle and you bit bumps on the road or waves and the boat flexes and the dash cracks. You’d think we’d have engineers that could solve this problem….

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

To the other posters….keeping them outside in the cold hardens the plastic on the dashes and makes it brittle. Mine didn’t start until I owned it and it was stored outside (covered) year round. Previous owner had it in a heated garage. The plastic gets brittle and you bit bumps on the road or waves and the boat flexes and the dash cracks. You’d think we’d have engineers that could solve this problem….

The answer is pretty simple, make the console caps out of laid-up fiberglass, like Ranger does with their deep-V aluminum hulls. Just be prepared to pay for it.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. Ranger-VX-console.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Flex Steel covered with a Alumacraft sucks sticker. smirk

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>
    3 YEAR warranty on console.

That’s incorrect Don.

Got bad info , called several dealers today and no one knows the warranty ! Amazing !

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I had this on a 2018 Lund, dealer took care of it under the warranty. It really was just the plastic “cap”. I believe these consoles are made of fiberglass with a plastic overmold adhered to them. The crack on mine was not present underneath the surface, on the fiberglass side. They still fixed it no gripes.

Welder guy

After getting the passenger side dash replaced on my 21 trophy last fall today I pulled the cover to get some things done and noticed that the driver side is cracked all the way around the hole the graph wiring comes through.

Andrew Rice

Last weekend I saw a 165CS brand new on the showroom floor with this issue.

I’ve got a feeling that with such a inventory shortage the manufacture and dealer aren’t to worried and know somebody will buy it as is.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

My 2018 Lund is having this issue for the 2nd time, first was fully covered this one they will send a new dash but won’t cover labor. Unfortunately in my case, the issue could have been prevented if the manufacturer had drilled the appropriate pilot holes for the 2 screws they install for the cable management grommet. These cracks on my dash originate from those holes, and it’s apparent what the issue is. I requested no cable management be installed and I will do it myself on this one.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.