Covid Survey Teams

• b-curtis
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Well that didn’t last long

A door-to-door COVID-19 testing survey has been halted due to multiple incidents in outstate Minnesota of residents intimidating and shouting racial and ethnic slurs at state and federal public health survey teams.

The CDC pulled its federal surveyors out of Minnesota this week following reports of verbal abuse and intimidation, including an incident in the Iowa border town of Eitzen, Minn., in which a survey team walking to a house was blocked by two cars and threatened by three men, including one who had a gun.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Not surprising people are bat S&$@ crazy these days. A simple no thank you I’m not interested and closing the door usually works for most people who knock on my door.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

The CDC pulled its federal surveyors out of Minnesota this week following reports of verbal abuse and intimidation, including an incident in the Iowa border town of Eitzen, Minn., in which a survey team walking to a house was blocked by two cars and threatened by three men, including one who had a gun.

I saw that story on MPR News this morning. Absolutely ridiculous.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

A door-to-door COVID-19 testing survey has been halted due to multiple incidents in outstate Minnesota of residents intimidating and shouting racial and ethnic slurs at state and federal public health survey teams.

If true thats despicable. As ripjiggin said a simple not interested and closing the door is all thats needed.

joe-winter
    Participant
    St. Peter, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>b-curtis wrote:</div>

If true thats despicable. As ripjiggin said a simple not interested and closing the door is all thats needed.

completely agree. those folks are just doing their job.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>joe-winter wrote:</div>
    I personally don’t think Greig should have left or got booted. I don’t agree with what he said or much of anything he says but he usually provided useful posts. Also, I’d like to call people names once and awhile and not get booted. devil

I dont really care one way or another but bootings seem to be inconsistent. Unless I’m mistaken Crappieguy is still active and he suggested buckybadger molests boys and looped all catholics in with the same activity. Thats way worse than anything i saw greg say.

Well…we really don’t know merely by what we see on the surface.

A Keymaster/Moderator explained here before that sometimes it’s PM’s that are the crime of finally getting booted.

It is not for us to judge as we don’t know what happened behind the scene. Perhaps PM warnings were sent and apologies made by some and not by other’s. Who knows, who cares. Not for us to question.

As far as the survey teams, guess I’m not surprised of the wrath.

Us “civil” minded folks here on this forum can’t be civil at times either. (See comment’s about Catholics)… roll

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Thats a good point about the behind the scenes andy.

Ice Cap
    Participant

In normal times unacceptable. These times are anything but that. Approaching anyone at there homes right now is not a very bright idea. Especially if you are a stranger to them. Rioters are burning cities, screaming at and intimidating people at restaurants, stopping traffic and busting people’s car windows and kicking their doors in and at times beating the occupants through the broken window.

People are on edge, nervous and scared. This in person survey was a bad decision from the start.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

In normal times unacceptable. These times are anything but that. Approaching anyone at there homes right now is not a very bright idea. Especially if you are a stranger to them.

No matter what is happening in the world there will never be a time where someone shows up at my door and I call them a racial slur. Sorry but these people acted this way cause they are scum not because the virus has scrambled their brain

Evan Pheneger
    Participant
    Hastings, MN

Oh, and Halloween masks aren’t a substitute for cloth masks.

And soon, Santa will spread C-19 on the presents and the reindeer will have CWD.

And in the dirt of this post a gold nugget was found! Got me a good lol here!

DeRangedFishinguy
    Participant
    Up Nort’

This in person survey was a bad decision from the start.

This! We’ve been beaten over the head for months about isolating, avoiding people, etc. Now those same govt departments decided to allow random people go door to door to swab their noses and ask a bunch of questions? Ummm… No thanks!

A better idea is to just set up a community testing area and let folks voluntarily go get tested if they choose.

People sucked prior to the pandemic/2020. Everything that has happened the last few months has brought even more suck to the surface.

While I feel bad for those workers that were insulted and threatened, they were put in a bad position from the start. As soon as I heard about this plan, I new it wasn’t going to go over very well. Someone did a bad job taking the temperature of the communities they planned on visiting.

Dan
    Participant
    Southeast MN

I’m in agreement with many of the above, no excuse for grown adults in this country to act like that when answering door. Racial slurs and threatening violence? I am 100% all about everyone’s rights, but folks are using that as too much of an excuse to act irrationally nowadays.

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Couldn’t help but notice that the people who wrote the article didn’t bother to talk to any of the residents. They got one side of this, and that’s all. I wasn’t there so I can’t make any judgements. But real journalism would seem to include talking to both sides.

I also found enormous irony in the CDC telling us it was a terrible idea having children go door-to-door for halloween….but it’s OK for the corona testers to go door to door in a strange neighborhood.

Lots of pent up emotions out there. Go fishing.

SR

b-curtis
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

Which article? What I posted? I just grabbed the first two paragraphs. Here is the full article

A door-to-door COVID-19 testing survey has been halted due to multiple incidents in greater Minnesota of residents intimidating and shouting racial and ethnic slurs at state and federal public health survey teams.

Frustration with the state’s pandemic response “is totally understandable,” said Dr. Ruth Lynfield, state epidemiologist, “but that is distinctly different than taking out frustration on another human being who is trying to help and is especially galling when there is a taint of racism. There is no justification for this — the enemy is the virus and not the public health workers who are trying to help.”

Surveyors had been fanning out to 180 neighborhoods this month — offering free diagnostic testing for active COVID-19 infections and blood antibody testing to identify prior infections — to understand the true prevalence of the coronavirus causing the pandemic.

Insults came at doorways, from angry people approaching the surveyors or just people walking their dogs on the other sides of the streets, said Stephanie Yendell, a state senior epidemiology supervisor. The surveyors trapped in the Eitzen incident were permitted to leave and did not file a police report about the gun-toting man or the two others who approached them.

The frequency of problems became clear last weekend when surveyors discussed their experiences, Yendell said. A Hispanic surveyor was called one slur “more in the last week than in her entire life,” she said.

Most people were polite in all areas of the state, but the frequency of intimidating incidents was surprising, said Dan Huff, assistant state health commissioner. The state ended the survey rather than continuing without the CDC workers, or sending only white surveyors in largely white rural communities.

“We found that our white teams had a very different experience, a much more positive experience, but I think from our perspective it’s ridiculous for us to contemplate that,” he said. “We choose who is doing this survey on their professional qualifications.”

While samples were collected from 400 volunteers, that is short of what was sought for assessing COVID-19’s presence in Minnesota. In a sad irony, health officials said that people who drove surveyors away due to frustration over state pandemic restrictions ended up short-circuiting a study that could have hastened the end to those restrictions.

“We had hoped through the CASPER survey to have a better understanding of how COVID-19 was spreading in Minnesota and how it was affecting people,” Lynfield said. “That kind of understanding could have helped us improve multiple aspects of our response.”

CASPER stands for Community Assessment for Public Health Emergency Response, a door-to-door survey that collects demographically representative responses in communities to determine needs following disasters such as oil spills and hurricanes.

Since Minnesota’s first positive infection in March, the state has reported nearly 2,000 COVID-19 deaths and 94,000 infections. Federal health officials have estimated that every one known case could represent 10 unknown people who had mild or no symptoms but carried and spread the virus.

The monthlong survey was the largest attempt in Minnesota to assess that level of mystery spread, mostly through seroprevalence testing of blood to see if people had antibodies indicating an immune system response to the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.

The forced end to the study is an amalgam of 2020’s overriding tensions — the anger over prolonged business restrictions to limit COVID-19 and the racial tensions following police killings of Black people that resulted in protests and riots, and some predominantly white counterprotests.

State health leaders said it was disappointing for Minnesota and that CASPER surveys have been completed this year in Georgia and Hawaii and are ongoing in other states. The Hawaii study assessed joblessness amid the pandemic.

In Minnesota, survey teams included at least one person asking questions and a nurse obtaining lab samples from volunteers. In addition to 12 CDC workers, the state had six workers going door to door along with 22 hired nurses and three local public health workers.

State health officials had expected some resistance but in the form of people declining testing. Incidents occurred mostly in central and southern Minnesota, rural areas where there has been pent-up resentment over the spring statewide shutdown, the indoor mask mandate and the bar and restaurant restrictions. The economic losses of such measures were seen as overkill in small towns where virus transmission has been less prevalent.

A CDC spokesperson declined to comment.

Compared to others, this CASPER survey had heightened potential for controversy, because opponents of Minnesota’s COVID-19 response have questioned whether broad testing is inflating infection numbers and exaggerating the scope of the pandemic.

Some people with respiratory symptoms have refused testing for fear that a positive result would force them and their families into quarantine, or push local schools to cancel in-person classes and events.

Ice Cap
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ice Cap wrote:</div>
    In normal times unacceptable. These times are anything but that. Approaching anyone at there homes right now is not a very bright idea. Especially if you are a stranger to them.

No matter what is happening in the world there will never be a time where someone shows up at my door and I call them a racial slur. Sorry but these people acted this way cause they are scum not because the virus has scrambled their brain

Never mentioned the virus once in my post. I don’t condone people using racial slurs and I certainly never said that either. My point if it needs to be clarified further was people should expect to be treated with suspicion and perhaps even rudely when they as a stranger approach people on private property and while they are in their homes for the reasons I stated. Brandishing weapons is illegal and I don’t condone that either.

Bottom line the idea of canvassing people at their homes is a stupid idea for any reason given the current atmosphere.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Couldn’t help but notice that the people who wrote the article didn’t bother to talk to any of the residents. They got one side of this, and that’s all. I wasn’t there so I can’t make any judgements. But real journalism would seem to include talking to both sides.

For whatever reason, editors and reporters may have felt it that it might be just a tad dangerous to send reporters to try to interview people who had just (allegedly) shouted racial slurs and threatened bodily harm to people who had tried to interview those same people.

I’m just speculating here, mind you. It kind of stands to reason, however…

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

Not being scared of our shadows might help. If you listen to the tin hat crowd if each wacko killed one person the world population would be 1/2 of what it is.

It’s a very select small crowd breaking the laws.

?????
    Participant

Not sure I totally believe the articles of how badly the census takers were treated. I assume they did get some flack and yes we up north are fed up with dictator Walze’s lockdown especially when you are now starting to see the business close down and family’s loosing their lively hoods due to his overreaching abuse of what he thinks is his Power. Not 1 politician has lost wages due to this so I am sure their view of the entire Dempanic is way different than ours up north. Hype it in the media to draw unnecessary scrutiny of the situation. Just like the Democrats at this stage, see it our way or we burn it all down. Just my opinion living way up here in the land of Rocks and Cows along with all of the 19 year old cooks giving of their time to be in the National Guard.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

In normal times unacceptable. These times are anything but that. Approaching anyone at there homes right now is not a very bright idea. Especially if you are a stranger to them. Rioters are burning cities, screaming at and intimidating people at restaurants, stopping traffic and busting people’s car windows and kicking their doors in and at times beating the occupants through the broken window.

People are on edge, nervous and scared. This in person survey was a bad decision from the start.

Oh please not like they knocking on doors at night on lake street asking for information. Most were in rural areas.
    Think what you want about the virus. Think what you want about this approach of canvassing.
    No reason to use foul racist language pull a gun on someone for knocking on your door. Pretty easy to just not answer your door.
    Find it funny that people are scared of protesters when they live 120 miles away from where they are protesting/rioting Pretty sure none of what you mentioned is happening in Eitzen MN.
    Do you think the storm chasers that canvas neighborhoods for hail damage were treated like that. I know they weren’t in my neighborhood. I’m sure plenty of doors slammed in their face but come on.

Ice Cap
    Participant

I swear .some people here have the reading comprehension of a sixth grader. You can explain things to people but you just can’t understand it for them. Wasted time…

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Actually 8th grade. Please enlighten me on what I did not comprehend. Was it the built in excuse people now have to be a-holes. Pretty sure I comprehended that part just fine.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

September 25, 2020 at 1:48 pm#1975338
    In normal times unacceptable. These times are anything but that

You stated this is unacceptable during normal times which we are not in according to you. Hence this behavior is now acceptable. Lol. Regardless of whether you see that in your statements its there. You clarified your statements so I left it alone originally.

Why would this behavior ever be anything but unacceptable? In any times?

I think before you say someone else has some reading comprehension problems you should take a closer look at your own statements. As I said you clarified your comments so its clear now, but it certainly wasn’t clear in your original statements. Moving on

Don Meier
    Participant
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>
    So unless your a trumpy stumpy you get kicked off IDO ? Thats real good to know !

Trumpy stumpy? Let me explain this to you ronald with a d.
    I will keep this simple for ya.
    Kreig threw out a few bold, straight forward personal attacks.

First off: Told jwellsy that he was fake and made a claim about knowing someone’s religion.

Then proceeded to tell the fella what was in his mouth and heart.

Then pissed themselves and apparently had to run off.

Where does the President fit into this?

Glad you know it all, LOL !

Mike m
    Participant

Not being scared of our shadows might help. If you listen to the tin hat crowd if each wacko killed one person the world population would be 1/2 of what it is.

It’s a very select small crowd breaking the laws.

The tin foil hat crowd has taken over this site . All threads seem to turn into an episode of fox news

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

All threads seem to turn into an episode of fox news

I don’t know, seems like some of them…including this one look more like The Jerry Springer Show. roll

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.