Cover or not to cover trolling motor

• Duke

I have a 2017 Lund 1850 Impact XS that I’m having a custom cover made for. I can’t decide whether to have the cover made with trolling motor mounted or without. I can see un-mounting and remounting the trolling motor being a pain. My one thought for cover without trolling motor is theft. Other than that I think I’d prefer it mounted and covered.

We will have a weekend seasonal campground where the boat will may occasionally sit during the week.

So, the question is…what do you all think? Is covered enough for out of site, out of mind? What’s the general preference?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I would remount the trolling motor on a quick disconnect mount and have the cover made with out trolling motor on.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I prefer covered. We had a cover made for our boat several years ago and it was designed to go over the bow mounted trolling motor. 2 years ago we upgraded to the Terrova, and got a longer shaft trolling motor than our previous one. Now the cover cannot fit over the motor. I’ve been able to rig up the cover so that we can still use it, however it doesn’t cover the motor and it doesn’t fit as snug so rain water can pool up on the front of it. I also now run a chain/padlock on the motor for theft reasons since it is in the open.

Just something to think about, if you were to ever change up the motor, a cover over it may not fit.

Duke

I do have the quick disconnect. Removed with one plastic handled bolt anyway.

The guy that makes the covers said he adjusted a lot of covers when the iPilots came out so he can fix the cover for new motors. I’m sure for a price though.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

If you think you will trailer your boat with the cover on, I would not make the cover to fit over the trolling motor.

Duke

Hmmm…that is interesting. My uncle has one of his covers made close to 12 years ago and it’s held up great trailering with covor on. All the impact points are reinforced.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I have a 2017 Lund 1850 Impact XS that I’m having a custom cover made for. I can’t decide whether to have the cover made with trolling motor mounted or without. I can see un-mounting and remounting the trolling motor being a pain. My one thought for cover without trolling motor is theft. Other than that I think I’d prefer it mounted and covered.

We will have a weekend seasonal campground where the boat will may occasionally sit during the week.

So, the question is…what do you all think? Is covered enough for out of site, out of mind? What’s the general preference?

I left mine mounted when I had my new cover made but I added a Ram mount to stabilize the TM head while traveling,,Only thing I didnt like was tht after 4 years of doing it that way my letters rubbed off my the side of the TM head from the cover.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.