Cottonwoods done yet up North?

• FryDog62

Wondering if the Cottonwoods have stopped dropping their seeds yet in the Garrison area? Was in a tournament by Brainerd last Saturday and rod/reels got so snarled up from the cotton that we quit fishing an hour early. This is what I pulled out of one reel… had 3 others too do as well.

Not real interested in going to an area they are still dropping – any reports from Garrison, metro, Southern Minn??

Attachments:
    1. 5224E544-D409-4BCE-B556-25BC6694D325-scaled.jpeg

CaptainMusky

Id think you would need to head South not North to avoid it. I was in Motley area Sunday and it was bad.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I hate fishing when the cottonwood is dropping. It sure makes a mess on lines.

FryDog62

I hate fishing when the cottonwood is dropping. It sure makes a mess on lines.

Agreed, I rarely fish a mainline of braid anymore but they are the worst in picking up those little ghosts!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Bobber fishing with slip bobbers was almost impossible last week where we were in the Brainerd area.

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

Was out last night on The Pond and while there is still some on the water it was greatly diminished from what it was 10 days ago.

Gitchi Gummi

cottonwood still going strong in the 218.

dirtywater

The Aspen catkins have been dropping their cottony seeds like crazy up along the Canadian border. Taken yesterday.

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2022-06-07-at-2.18.00-PM.png

FryDog62

Very helpful everyone – how about Southern Minnesota – is it done there now??

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

It’s still dropping here. Had to mow last night… I wore a half face respirator for mowing it was so bad. So yeah that’s fun…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I swear that last year these things were floating around for weeks on end because it never rained.

A good hard rain should take care of this problem. If it comes anytime soon, of course.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I cannot believe how bad they were over Memorial weekend. I woke up and it looked like there’s a white carpet on the lake and yes it made Fishing very difficult

CaptainMusky

The Aspen catkins have been dropping their cottony seeds like crazy up along the Canadian border. Taken yesterday.

That looks awful.

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

Pretty thick today in the SE metro area … 🤭🔥🤣 Man this stuff goes up quick!

Attachments:
    1. Burning-cottonwood.jpg

FryDog62

Looks like you discovered a good way to get rid of dandelion weeds too Sharon – just cover them in cottonwood seeds and light ’em up!!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Up north? It’s still a mess down here!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Very helpful everyone – how about Southern Minnesota – is it done there now??

The water is covered with them an hour south of the MN/IA border.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

When I was still firefighting, we got a call one spring for a kid lighting cotton weed on fire in the gutter. When we got there a couple minutes later half the block was on fire. That stuff is crazy flammable.

FryDog62

Anyone watching the Twins game – from the centerfield camera looking in at the pitcher and batter… lots of “snow” and there aren’t even that many trees downtown..

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Spent a couple hours last night re-spooling after my Vermilion trip. Just an absolute headache.

brandmoney

Was just out south of the cities. That was horrible

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The crap is still everywhere on the banks of Pool 4. I’m switching to target some deeper water saugers Thursday solely to dodge the crap that was all over our lines last outing

stevenoak

Seemed to last all summer last year. Switched to fluorocarbon. I fish around old strip mines that someone had the bright idea to reforest with cottonwoods. Because they were older, and cottonwoods would grow fast.

Charles

There still dropping and have been for a while it is crazy. I don’t remember this bad before.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have a tournament Saturday and I’m hoping we lose most of it in this area. I don’t want to spend 6 hours picking that crap off my line.

FryDog62

I have a tournament Saturday and I’m hoping we lose most of it in this area. I don’t want to spend 6 hours picking that crap off my line.

Never thought I’d ask for wind again after the blustery spring we’ve had… but if the seeds stop dropping they are still going to form sloppy mats in many high percentage spots. We ran into that in our tournament lsat weekend. A little breeze might move them along or at least to one side of the lake.

Just in case… bring tweezers along with you. Its so hard to pull out globs of cotton where it sticks to your line with your fingers when its wet. Tweezers make it a lot easier. Hey – maybe Line Cutterz can come up with a specific new product for this! waytogo

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Never thought I’d ask for wind again after the blustery spring we’ve had… but if the seeds stop dropping they are still going to form sloppy mats in many high percentage spots. We ran into that in our tournament lsat weekend. A little breeze might move them along or at least to one side of the lake.

Just in case… bring tweezers along with you. Its so hard to pull out globs of cotton where it sticks to your line with your fingers when its wet. Tweezers make it a lot easier. Hey – maybe Line Cutterz can come up with a specific new product for this! waytogo

I’ve been using their new micro scissors for just that!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Still “snowing” pretty good in EP!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The Cottonwoods are still spawning here in the metro. This pic is from this afternoon in New Hope, MN.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20220608_180805090-scaled.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.