Corn plating

• turkeyfail

Hi guys, this is my second ever turkey hunt this spring. I was given permission to use some private land and I am trying to decide which week to pick. The field is going to be planted with corn sometime in April and I’m wondering if this is a concern. I don’t know how long it takes to plant a field and I don’t know how likely a turkey will come in if there is activity like that going on. I also can’t really predict when they’d plant (supposedly in April but weather is a big factor). For all you guys that hunt crop fields do you find the planting activity a concern or a non-issue?

JEREMY
    BP

Wait for it to be 2 inches tall and watch them eat it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I turkey hunt every spring on private agricultural land. You can’t control when they are going to plant it. At this point, you would probably have a better chance of avoiding that if you select an earlier season, simply because there’s so much snow on the ground. I don’t think turkeys are necessarily spooked because there is farm equipment running. They are used to that sort of thing.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I haven’t had the time to turkey hunt in a few years, but we have 2 family friends we give permission to hunt one of our parcels surrounded by corn fields. They always seem to harvest big birds one of the first days out despite the farmers who lease from us being in the fields during this time.

turkeyfail

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like it’s mostly a non-issue which is what I was hoping to hear. At this point I think season B is going to work better for my schedule even though season A might be preferable to avoid the field work.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

When I’ve helped friends on farms the turkeys hardly pay attention to farm equipment. They don’t move unless you’re going to run over them. I don’t get involved in the planting only the prep work, but it takes them less than a day to plant 80 acres.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.