crappies are starting to hit

• mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

A neighbor waved me over last night and told me about the squirells hes been shooting at the reserviour. Hes done pretty good and has gotten around 50 so far since the season opened the first of september. He showed me his 17 cal. and what a nice gun, 10 power bushnell scope and he said hes shooting 1/4″ groups at 50 yrds, a very nice setup! he hunts from his boat and gets way back on the bottoms and just walks slowly or stands for a few minutes and almost limits at 6 squirells everytime he goes. He said hes been taking his rod with him and hitting a few of his crappie spots every time he goes and he said there starting to hit, not fast but getting a few around 13″ and down 10′ on snags. He said hes marking fish but thier still slow because of the heat and thier all on the thermalcline. It sounds like about 2 more weeks and it should be getting good then. He said he got 1/2 dozen nice 16″ crappies last year on these same snags with lots of shorter fish around 12″ to 14″.

andyjcraig
    Participant
    Iowa City, Iowa

thanks for the report. any idea which portion of the lake he’s fishing?

lebruce
    Participant
    C.R. Iowa

Not trying to be a smart but or start anything,but if he’s anything like the rest of us he fishes it from one end to the other.The fish are all over that lake it only takes a little searching to find them and figure them out.The fun part of fishing is going out on the water and searching and being rewarded for your efforts at the end of the search.I wouldn’t myself feel like much of a fishermen if I needed allot of details from someone else that did all the work in finding and figuring them out,I like the challenge.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I know what your saying Lebruce, Andy I’ve fished crappies there off and on for 25 years and theres some really nice ones on some of the snags. One thing I look for is calmer water next to the deeper channel. All I do is lower the trolling motor into the water and hit the shorelines while watching the finder for snags or sudden drops on shorelines. It dosen’t necessarily have to be a sudden drop but there has to be some kind of structure there to hold the fish. I drifted shorlines there that sloped off fairly fast and picked up a few but that same type of shoreline with a snag on it is where there would be a higher concentration of crappies. It takes some time to find a spot but when you do you’ll know it. I’ve never done well with a gently slopeing bottom of any kind, it was always the faster sloping bottoms with the channel near by and a snag that held the fish, you’ll find them and it dosen’t take that long. Put in at Mahaffeys bridge and go across to the east shoreline and turn your finder on. Go under the bridge and hit the cove on the east side above the bridge and then come back under the bridge and stay on that shoreline and look for underwater snags with your finder. That areas good at times and if that area dosen’t do much right now don’t forget it and then try above the 965 bridge and look for snags there. It looks like catfish water and it is but look for snags with fish on them, they will be crappies. Put your boat in at the sand boatramp just down river from the 965 bridge and then go under the bridge and stay on the south shorline. Back when I was in my teens I knew a couple Bohemies that used to fish the snags on the upper end of the reserviour and fill the bottom of thier boat and all of them were nice crappies. One thing about the reserviour is and the first thing you have to do is look for snags next to deeper water in a small cove or cut, any jag in the shorline where the currents not there but near by, btw those are good walleyes spots too with a jig and minnow. Crappies are all over the reserviour but higher concentrations are next to a channel of some kind with snags near by. Heres a real sleeper, in the spring when thier dropping the table there and theres pools left that are still emptying,,,try the little flows coming from these pools right where they are going into the main channel, you might be surprised how many crappies are there waiting for bait to go by them coming from these pools via these little flows, thier a good spot in the spring on a sunny day when thier dropping the table. We’ve caught walleye on trotlines useing minnows for bait around the snags on the upper channel so maybe also keep that in mind. Thier going to be turning on soon and they will follow the warmer water as it rises twards the surface as the deeper water cools. Find a few big snags next too deeper water and the crappies should be there for you this fall and thats where they stay all winter. Heres something about the reserviour crappies that I’ve found,,, they will be in deeper water most of the time except for the spring when they come shallow to spawn.

andyjcraig
    Participant
    Iowa City, Iowa

Thanks for all the great insight Mossy. I want to get out and find some spots soon, especially for ice fishing season.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.