Wiper attack

• FishinMission
    North Liberty, IA

Hey all of you locals, the wipers are hungry at Lake Macbride . Look for very frightened schools of shad jumping out of the water about 1/2 hour before sunset. There are many different year classes out there. Not uncommon to catch 5 pounders. These fish are not for ultralight gear and they just love 1/2 oz. chrome with black Rattletraps.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Thanks for the tip, was looking for something to do tomorrow night.

All over the lake?

FishinMission
    North Liberty, IA

I have caught some around the bridge from shore on the causeway. They also are found near the swimming beach and over by the spillway.

It is a site to behold when the water is turned to chop while they’re feeding. Try a topwater when they are feeding at the surface. It is a ball. Anything silver.

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

Thanks for sharing your good fortune. Might have to check it out myself.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I went down Saturday evening and put in on the North arm. Spent my time around dusk fishing the pads, thinking there had to be some bass in there somewhere.

Nope. Better luck next time, I guess.

FishinMission
    North Liberty, IA

The wipers are still hitting with some consistency from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m.

With the water cooling down a little we’ve been picking wipers up with a slower retrieve and a little deeper. The lake is full of schools of small shad (an all-you-can-eat buffet for wipers).

I pulled one up that was 6-7 pounds, but mostly the fish are running in the 1 pound range. There are tons of them and they will only get bigger.

Still using 1/2 oz rattletraps and have been concentrating our efforts near the beach.

We prefer casting, but have seen a few boats picking them up while trolling.

IaHawgHunter
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Wipers in McBride?? 6-7 lbs WOW

IHH

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

Welcome to IDA darrin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.