Cool Cats

• tim hurley

Thinking about going after cats next weekend. Too soon? Would probably try for panfish too-Any advice?
    Thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

They’ve been fishing cats all winter, I can’t see why it would be too soon now…unless you’re asking about ice conditions. In that case… I’m out. )

JoeMX1825
    MN

ice should be completely off the chain, do Cats ever stop biting?

tim hurley

Ok where how and when?(time of day) will be fishing out of my boat-will try for pannies too.
    Thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Can’t help you on the time of the day, but if it were I, I would be fishing the warmest time of the day.

Focus on the areas where the lake changes into the river and work the edges of the moving water. They are other places too, but that should get you started.

Drifting with some stink bait within a foot or two of the bottom will get you into some fish as well.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Pretty decent catfishing with chicken livers and pieces of fatheads in the deep holes lately.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

watch the ice……….been a few vehicles, ATV’s and snowmobiles falling in!!!!

Sam
    St.Francis

Is it frombad ice or stupidity?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

both…………last reports I heard was 14 to 16 inches of ice…..not enough in my mind when you throw in the rain we had earlier. from what I understand one went in where the sauk river meets horseshoe lake near the meth hole…. the others where in small channel areas with water movement and none of these people where from the area. a truck went threw on koronis yesterday morning. got lost on the lake and drove into open water………probably around those islands!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

This was an old post brought to the top.

Be careful out there!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

these incidents I refer to have happened in the past 2 weeks.

like BK said be extremely careful.!!

tim hurley

How far do you have to walk to get from the access to the Meth hole? Think I would just walk.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

depends on were you park. from the winter access i’d venture to guess its a mile. there are a couple places before the access people use that are closer but its private land???????

glenn57
    cold spring mn

depends on were you park. from the winter access i’d venture to guess its a mile. there are a couple places before the access people use that are closer but its private land??????? I drove past the chain about a week ago and there aren’t near the big houses or vehicles out compared to previous years!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

just seen another report that a truck went down on green lake by spicer yesterday!!!!!!!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

As always stated, no ice is ever safe but, you know what? unsafe ice in never safe. Most of these incidents can be blamed on operator error, not ice conditions. Drive on a few inches of ice and you are going to go in. The guys on ML are trying to go over cracks and heaves and the guys up on Horseshoe chain basically drove into open water. Know where you are going before you just blindly drive any vehicle on the ice.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.