Continually amazed at vehicle mfg engineering

• suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

Another fun example. The owners manual for my Chevy truck says I must check with dealer for differential oil viscosity. So I did.
    The parts guy couldn’t even keep a straight face when he said 75W85 for the rear and 75W90 for the front. Im using Amsoil Extreme duty 75W90 in both and calling it a day. Also real nice of GM to decide on omitting the front diff drain plug starting with my year truck! yea! I wish Iowa Boy lived close by…..

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

LOL. That’s good stuff.

I spent 2 hours on Saturday changing two headlight bulbs. The recommended procedure involved removing the front bumper (I didn’t do that). doah

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

If anybody can recommend a good shop for changing out Trans fluid I would appreciate it. $630 at the dealer aint happening on my watch if I can help it.
    I would prefer to supply the fluid. Maybe Amsoil.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

If anybody can recommend a good shop for changing out Trans fluid I would appreciate it. $630 at the dealer aint happening on my watch if I can help it.

Call my lady friend at fairway in vadnais heights. Talk to Ashley. Mike the mechanic is and has been my go to guy. I highly recommend them as a shop, and that is not very common for My self.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Call my lady friend at fairway in vadnais heights. Talk to Ashley. Mike the mechanic is and has been my go to guy. I highly recommend them as a shop, and that is not very common for My self.

Will they know who you are when I say Bearcats recommended them? grin

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Will they know who you are when I say Bearcats recommended them? grin
    [/quote]

Lol, tell Ashley Ron told you to call

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

LOL. That’s good stuff.

I spent 2 hours on Saturday changing two headlight bulbs. The recommended procedure involved removing the front bumper (I didn’t do that). doah

I went in for an oil change and asked the garage if they could replace the passenger side turn signal light. I didn’t know I should of asked for an estimate first!!

Light: Bulb $3.00
    Labor: $97.00

I asked the guy if he had to go in through the tailgate to replace it!?
    Nope, just needed to take the bumper off. doah

Won’t be doing that again.

Sorry I don’t have a solution for you Mike…for $25.00 they have oil extractors on amazon that I use for changing oil in the 454’s. They have a drain plug, just can’t get at it. I used it to replace the fluid in the velvet drive transmissions as well.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

I could also help Suzuki, but I’m on the other end of town. Let me know if you would like my help, we can use your fluid.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Suzuki, which year GM? I’m guessing 2019+

I have seen all of these changes and have decided I won’t be buying a GM newer than 2018, ever. I currently run a 2016, everything is still accessible and able to be maintained without dealer intervention. it’s almost no different than my old 2010, except it doesn’t have any power steering fluid to leak out.

Although plugs suck (have to take off pass side wheel and well liner), I only do them every 125k miles so I’ve got another 100k before I need to think about it.

Iowaboy1
    Participant

Suzuki, thanks for the kind mention!! somehow I missed this post.
    This whole vehicle thing is getting plain retarded, just recently I was going to hook up my scanner to a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee and found out quickly that my super expensive scanner isnt allowed to connect to its ECU, WTH!!
    I guess you need a pass code, ( thanks Mr. Rasmussen for your help ) because Chrysler ( !@!!&E^IU!! ) has figured out a way to prevent tuners and whatnot from being plugged in without their approval, as if you are going to tune their sh!t worth a crap anyway.
    Anyway, John sent me a pdf on how to do it, and guess what?? yep, more money!! its always about the money!!! Fifty bucks per the subscription AND, yep!! more money!! they want you to be a subscriber to Mitchell on demand as well, gotta tell ya, I havent needed them for many years and I dont need them now with the internet, that and I dont have much trouble figuring out circuits.
    Long story short, Screw Chrysler as they are preventing many shops mine included from helping their customers keep their vehicles running correctly.
    Sure, I could bite the bullet and spend three grand a year more and raise my rates to pay for it but there are so few of their products ( with good reason ) around here to pay for it I am not going to do it, and thats what they want anyway.

Batteries behind the left front tire??? come on!! Batteries under the front passenger seat?? not one, but two of them!!! WTH!!! who in their right mind would engineer a vehicle so that you are potentially sitting on a bomb??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    I mean its bad enough if you want to kill them with the airbag and add insult to injury by blowing acid and plastic up their a$$!

None of the rest of the manufacturers are any better, taking the front cover off to replace headlight bulbs, removing air filter boxes to get to bulbs, taking the coolant reservoir, air box and three braces off to get a battery out.
    Removing entire intake manifolds to get to three spark plugs, eight hours to replace a water pump!!!????
    I could go on for hours talking about what I have seen and worked on the last forty plus years, thank God I wont be around long enough to see how just damn retarded its going to get.

I have as many others have also said, engineers need to spend a minimum of five years in the field before they can get that degree, that said, I am not placing the blame on them entirely as you have to consider manufacturing economics but that still does not justify the absolute stupidity of it all.

And for God’s sakes!! just add the price of the two dollar dipstick to the price of the car instead of eliminating it!!!!!!

MX1825
    Participant

Suzuki, thanks for the kind mention!! somehow I missed this post.
    This whole vehicle thing is getting plain retarded, just recently I was going to hook up my scanner to a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee and found out quickly that my super expensive scanner isnt allowed to connect to its ECU, WTH!!
    I guess you need a pass code, ( thanks Mr. Rasmussen for your help ) because Chrysler ( !@!!&E^IU!! ) has figured out a way to prevent tuners and whatnot from being plugged in without their approval, as if you are going to tune their sh!t worth a crap anyway.
    Anyway, John sent me a pdf on how to do it, and guess what?? yep, more money!! its always about the money!!! Fifty bucks per the subscription AND, yep!! more money!! they want you to be a subscriber to Mitchell on demand as well, gotta tell ya, I havent needed them for many years and I dont need them now with the internet, that and I dont have much trouble figuring out circuits.
    Long story short, Screw Chrysler as they are preventing many shops mine included from helping their customers keep their vehicles running correctly.
    Sure, I could bite the bullet and spend three grand a year more and raise my rates to pay for it but there are so few of their products ( with good reason ) around here to pay for it I am not going to do it, and thats what they want anyway.

Batteries behind the left front tire??? come on!! Batteries under the front passenger seat?? not one, but two of them!!! WTH!!! who in their right mind would engineer a vehicle so that you are potentially sitting on a bomb??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    I mean its bad enough if you want to kill them with the airbag and add insult to injury by blowing acid and plastic up their a$$!

None of the rest of the manufacturers are any better, taking the front cover off to replace headlight bulbs, removing air filter boxes to get to bulbs, taking the coolant reservoir, air box and three braces off to get a battery out.
    Removing entire intake manifolds to get to three spark plugs, eight hours to replace a water pump!!!????
    I could go on for hours talking about what I have seen and worked on the last forty plus years, thank God I wont be around long enough to see how just damn retarded its going to get.

I have as many others have also said, engineers need to spend a minimum of five years in the field before they can get that degree, that said, I am not placing the blame on them entirely as you have to consider manufacturing economics but that still does not justify the absolute stupidity of it all.

And for God’s sakes!! just add the price of the two dollar dipstick to the price of the car instead of eliminating it!!!!!!

X2 on everything!!! doah

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

jester It has gotten just a bit crazy to say the least shock

Sheldon your welcome on the help with the link, it does suck we have to pay for the gateway to scan and communicate with them, we can justify the cost with as much as we need to use it at my shop, understand like we have talked it doesn’t make sense for you. I wish more people had an idea how hard it can be to just work on cars nowadays.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Shortly, people will be driving around sitting on a 1 ton battery… last I checked, they don’t “crumple” very well either. Good times coming ! doah

stevenoak
    Participant

Shortly, people will be driving around sitting on a 1 ton battery… last I checked, they don’t “crumple” very well either. Good times coming ! doah

I can’t buy 20 ga. target ammo because of a 2-year world lead shortage. But we are going to switch everything to batteries.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Also, in the future, your home owners insurance company will want to know what EV’s you own and if you park them in a structure… guess why ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.